Premium Member
join:2001-07-02
Champaign, IL

TCO1962 to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert

Re: Unlock iPhone for $4 bucks...

FYI.
My son and I unlocked two 4S' yesterday. $3.15 each. Awesome! Have another 4S on the way from a member here (locked to AT&T) and we'll do it too. Sweet deal if ya need it.

We've ran iPhones for quite awhile now with our local carrier. Had to be unlocked though. Wish this method had been around along time ago!!

OT but we've moved away from our local carrier with all but one phone (just in case we want to move back). We're testing out Straight Talk and have nothing but good things to say about it. Have been all over the place geographically and have had zero problems. Sons both use a pretty healthy amount of data and have had no problems at all.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
Too bad Sprint isn't as easy. It's why I held only my old AT&T unlocked iPhone 4. I can roll into Softbank for a SIM while traveling and avoid the $200+ international data fees.

KevNYC
Premium Member
join:2002-03-31
Seattle, WA

KevNYC

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

Too bad Sprint isn't as easy. It's why I held only my old AT&T unlocked iPhone 4. I can roll into Softbank for a SIM while traveling and avoid the $200+ international data fees.

Sprint will unlock your iPhone 5 for international SIM's on request. The key is calling their international team, I unlocked my phone a week after starting service with Sprint since I was traveling to Europe that same month.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

It is a special unlock that only then works with certain SIMs, or is it "unlocked" forever unlocked.

KevNYC
Premium Member
join:2002-03-31
Seattle, WA

KevNYC

Premium Member

It only works with international SIMs.

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

RiseAbove to KevNYC

Premium Member

to KevNYC
said by KevNYC:

said by skeechan:

Sprint will unlock your iPhone 5 for international SIM's on request. The key is calling their international team, I unlocked my phone a week after starting service with Sprint since I was traveling to Europe that same month.

That's odd Sprint is locking their iPhone's. Verizon's iPhone 5's are unlocked out of the gate, you can toss in ATT or Tmobile sim cards and it works all day long on 4G HSPA speeds.
RiseAbove

1 recommendation

RiseAbove to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
I did this unlock for all of my AT&T iPhones, 3GS, 4, 4S, and 5 and it worked great. On my older phones to avoid having to go up to iOS 6 I just factory reset them and then when you go through the activation I told it to use iTunes for activation. Two seconds later it came up with the unlock message.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

It is a special unlock that only then works with certain SIMs, or is it "unlocked" forever unlocked.

If you were referring to KevNYC's post, his reply is correct. If you were referring to the OP, then the answer is that it will unlock AT&T phones to use any GSM compatible SIM world wide, forever.

TCO1962
Premium Member
Champaign, IL

TCO1962 to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
Have to thank the OP for posting this! Yet another successful unlock via this method last night. So simple, "clean", and damn near free. My family is all set now.

SO much better than all the old school hacking around crap! I just wonder if it's all going to come to a screeching halt soon. Seems too good to be true!

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

1 edit

1 recommendation

RiseAbove

Premium Member

said by TCO1962:

Have to thank the OP for posting this! Yet another successful unlock via this method last night. So simple, "clean", and damn near free. My family is all set now.

SO much better than all the old school hacking around crap! I just wonder if it's all going to come to a screeching halt soon. Seems too good to be true!

My guess the person running this auction is either an Apple employee who has access to the database directly or it is someone working for a wireless provider who has access as well. I would bet it's someone overseas making hand over fist on their access to the database and helping people out. I tried to get some of mine unlocked through ATT and it was a nightmare and they do everything they can to make sure you don't get it unlocked. I actually don't mind paying the few bucks to make sure it gets done quick and easy.

TCO1962
Premium Member
Champaign, IL

TCO1962

Premium Member

said by RiseAbove:

said by TCO1962:

I actually don't mind paying the few bucks to make sure it gets done quick and easy.

Same here! SO cheap and easy. I know I'd pay more for sure.
I bet the Gevey folks aren't too happy! lol

I see they're now offering an IMEI unlock for the low low price of $49.99!

»www.gevey.com/att-iphone ··· -unlock/

dfc888
Premium Member
join:2003-07-22
San Bruno, CA

1 recommendation

dfc888 to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
Just did it on my iPhone 5! Worked for $3.15

Elite
Kiss My Ass
join:2002-10-03
New Haven, CT
Synology RT2600ac
TP-Link TC-7650
ARRIS SB8200

Elite to Robert

to Robert
Out of curiosity, I called AT&T a couple months ago to try and get my iPhone 5 unlocked (which was purchased with a 2 year contract through AT&T).

The silly support rep claimed that they could NOT, under any circumstance, unlock my iPhone 5. AT&T claimed that they submitted the requests directly to Apple, and that Apple would deny my request because the phone was only about a month old.

Sounded like bullshit to me, but my phone remains locked. On a related note, I was able to use the online AT&T unlock request form back in September though, and AT&T successfully unlocked my (at the time) 11 month old iPhone 4S, despite me still having about 13 months left on the contract.

dfc888
Premium Member
join:2003-07-22
San Bruno, CA

dfc888 to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
Has anyone tried wiping their newly unlocked iPhone to see if the unlock stays? I wonder if this is truly a permanent unlock that sticks with the phone, or if it'll require a new user to plug the phone in each time and have iTunes "unlock" it every time someone resets their phone.

Reason I ask this is because it seems to be cheaper for someone to just go buy a contracted phone, pay the ETF, keep the phone, and go this route of an unlock and end up paying less than purchasing a truly unlocked iPhone directly from Apple...

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Once your device is on the whitelist, it cannot be removed (per Apple policy). At least, no device has been re-locked yet after many years of shady unlocks.
happy4ya
Premium Member
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY

happy4ya to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
I did this a few days ago to a brand new replacement iPhone 4 I got from Apple and it worked great. I'm getting ready to put it on eBay and figured the added value of an unlocked iPhone would be worth more than the $3.15 I spent to have it unlocked.

TCO1962
Premium Member
Champaign, IL

TCO1962

Premium Member

said by happy4ya:

I'm getting ready to put it on eBay and figured the added value of an unlocked iPhone would be worth more than the $3.15 I spent to have it unlocked.

I'd say it adds $50 minimum. Maybe even more if it's a mint condition phone.
happy4ya
Premium Member
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY

happy4ya

Premium Member

said by TCO1962:

I'd say it adds $50 minimum. Maybe even more if it's a mint condition phone.

That would be nice. I'm not sure why they still pay so much, but I just sold a used but in perfect condition 8GB iPhone 4 white, locked to AT&T on ebay for $265. This one is a brand new warranty replacement from Apple, same phone never used yet with the unlock. If I get a little more than the last one I'll be happy.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
join:2001-08-02
La Porte, IN

2 edits

ztmike to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
Does anybody know a cheap unlock solution for the Canadian carrier Bell for a iPhone 5?

Only thing I've found so far is this site: »www.unlockboot.com/2012/ ··· ory.html

But a little confused on their prices on that menu there their asking for $204 but if you click on Bell and go into that page there's another price of around $31

Edit: It seems the second price is only to preorder the unlock.. which I assume that price gets deducted from the crazy $204 price..

But the serial number on the iPhone 5 ends in 1hdttq and it seems they don't even offer the unlock for that serial number yet..

Anyone know if any alternatives here?