Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to verix

Premium Member

to verix

Re: CC Disaster

said by verix:

This ignores how most, if not all, voip customers expect providers to have such redundancies.

I never did.

I've used Voipo, Vitelity, FlowRoute, CallWithUs, and Localphone, without wondering for a second about that.

My guess is that most of [those] providers don't have it.

No one ever discussed it much until Voip.MS, and my impression is that they set their system up that way out of a deliberate strategy of differentiation....which was very effective for their growth.

Anveo came along after that, and they almost [had] to go with multipops (in their case 3).
said by verix:

Heck, one of the main banners on the CC site is a picture of the globe.

The "globe" shows the continental US and Canada, and promotes their North America 500 calling plan.

Seems logical enough, and does not have any broader implication.
verix
join:2004-12-30
Oakland, CA

verix

said by PX Eliezer704:

The "globe" shows the continental US and Canada, and promotes their North America 500 calling plan.

Seems logical enough, and does not have any broader implication.

Right, but you understand what I mean, no? With this "globalized" world we live in and the Internet routing around problems, people expect things to work as long as they have network access. Voip providers are nowhere near the size of Yahoo. But if Yahoo were to have such problems that prevented loading of the main site, you'd at least expect them to throw up a parking page.
A_VoIPer7
join:2009-11-04

A_VoIPer7 to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

No one ever discussed it much until Voip.MS, and my impression is that they set their system up that way out of a deliberate strategy of differentiation....which was very effective for their growth.

I was doing a search for previous discussions about how multiple accounts are handled with E911 implementations and I came across this thread. It actually is more interesting to read with this thread's context in mind rather than the E911 threads.

I'm glad CC is back up and I hope no other provider has to go through what they have in the last month.
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

1 recommendation

nitzan to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

I've used Voipo, Vitelity, FlowRoute, CallWithUs, and Localphone, without wondering for a second about that.

Actually most of these providers do have multiple geo locations.

FlowRoute has servers in Las Vegas and Phoenix.
CallWithUs has servers in California and Michigan.
Vitelity has servers in Dallas and Boston.

Other providers with multiple geo locations: Anveo, Voip.MS, Future Nine
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

I don't know if CallWithUs still does, but perhaps Sohapkin can tell us that.

So does Voipo? PhonePower?

I honestly don't know (nor particularly care either way)....

----------------------------

It is interesting that you are using the term "server" and "geo location" interchangably.

That's what this whole debate is about, really. They are not the same, in my view.

Anyone can have a remote server looked after by someone else.

Which approach makes for a more stable life?

The sailor who has casual girlfriends in Newark, Norfolk, Miami, and Los Angeles....

....or the older guy who has a faithful wife in Boston, and that's it.

It can be argued both ways.

Yes, I am sure that CC will do something to get some out-of-town girlfriends.

The damn irony is, if not for this one particular unusual storm, this whole issue would probably never have come up for the rest of my life. I don't know about yours....

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

I don't know if CallWithUs still does, but perhaps Sohapkin can tell us that.

So does Voipo? PhonePower? ....

The CallWithUs server info is in a direct link inside of the direct-linked post.
»Re: Where are the SERVERS ? - Summary
said by PX Eliezer704:

said by verix:

This ignores how most, if not all, voip customers expect providers to have such redundancies.

I never did.

No one ever discussed it much until Voip.MS, and my impression is that they set their system up that way out of a deliberate strategy of differentiation....which was very effective for their growth....

So then here is the link to the complete thread again, covering many providers and where their servers are :
»SERVER & GENERATOR LOCATIONS
said by PX Eliezer704:

....The damn irony is, if not for this one particular unusual storm, this whole issue would probably never have come up for the rest of my life. I don't know about yours....

Might be true. - I posted a similar comment in my last reply to Iscream. - BTW, I am 58.
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM to nitzan

to nitzan

CallWithUs: west, east, uk

said by nitzan:

said by PX Eliezer704:

Actually most of these providers do have multiple geo locations.

FlowRoute has servers in Las Vegas and Phoenix.
CallWithUs has servers in California and Michigan.
Vitelity has servers in Dallas and Boston.

Other providers with multiple geo locations: Anveo, Voip.MS, Future Nine

CallWithUs actually has 3 locations: west, east and uk.

»Re: WHO is UP-DOWN during Sandy
said by sokhapkin:

Callwithus servers are located in California, Michigan and London, UK.

rblizz
join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX

rblizz

said by ConstantineM:

CallWithUs actually has 3 locations: west, east and uk.

That's wonderful ... and ... ?