Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

video cards with 4 outputs

I see that some 6770 & 7770 based video cards have 4 outputs, usually 2x DVI, 1x HDMI and 1x Displayport.

Are they all independent of each other? Meaning that in theory I could connect up to 4 monitors with a combined resolution of up to 7680 x 1200, for example.

TIA
--
Wacky Races 2012!

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

I hope this helps:

Eyefinity:
»www.amd.com/us/products/technolo···ity.aspx

How to setup Eyefinity:
»www.amd.com/us/products/technolo···-up.aspx

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA
reply to aurgathor

One of the displays would have to use a VGA connection since there are only 2 TMDS controllers.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

said by Da Man:

One of the displays would have to use a VGA connection since there are only 2 TMDS controllers.

This. Just to expand on it a bit, TMDS is used for HDMI and DVI, so you could have two DVI, one HDMI/one DVI, etc. If DisplayPort 1.2 MST hubs were around, you could have gone down that route with a 7770 and some DP monitors.
--
KI6RIT

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to aurgathor

Yes, I do know that both DVI & HDMI use TMDS, but didn't know the cards come with only two.

From »www.amd.com/us/products/technolo···aqs.aspx I got the following:

quote:
What are the basic requirements for connecting multiple displays?

Connecting multiple monitors for AMD Eyefinity technology couldn’t be simpler. There are four easy rules to remember:
1.The first two monitors can connect to the graphics card with any display output on your product: HDMI, VGA, DVI or DisplayPort.
2.The third (or greater) display must be connected to the graphics card via DisplayPort.
3.If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort connection, you will need an inexpensive active DisplayPort adapter for it. DVI to DP adapters can be had for less than $30 USD.
4.Every family of GPUs supports a different maximum number of displays.
The above quote seem to imply that unless I get that MST hub (currently made of unobtainium) I'm limited to 3 monitors total, even though one monitor would have to be VGA (I have 3 PCs hooked up to a VGA KVM and they all share a 1920x1200 monitor). I have several 19" monitors with VGA/DVI, but only one with DP. (and due to the KVM, I use that monitor via VGA )

I wonder if using one DVI with a VGA adapter (as commented above) would allow me to use the other DVI and the HDMI port -- that contradicts with AMD's FAQ, but they may just left some of the finer details out.

I searched for cards that has 2xDVI, 1xHDMI, 2xDP, but only some 6850 or better and some 7850 or better cards have that configuration -- but due to power consumption, I don't want to get anything 'better' than 6770 or 7770.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to aurgathor

Nvidia does 3+1
But for single gpu. you will need GTX670 and up.
»www.geforce.com/hardware/technol···irements

I pick 2D Surround.

quote:
GeForce GTX 670 Single GPU With 2D Surround(Landscape)
> Orientation: Landscape
> Accessory Display: Yes, no additional GPU
> Maximum Resolution: 7600x1600
> Maximum Resolution (Bezel Correction): 8192x1600
> Maximum number of displays: 3 in Surround
1 Accessory Display

special Instructions:
> Any connectors can be used to enable Surround.
> Once Surround is enabled, users can use
any connector for the Accessory Display.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

3 edits
reply to aurgathor

This suggests a card can run 4 screens - 6870, 6970:
»www.amd.com/us/products/technolo···-up.aspx

»www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/···w.aspx#2
»www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/···iew.aspx

Both list specs but the 6970 has this specifically:

AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology
Native support for up to 4 simultaneous displays
Up to 6 displays supported with DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport
Independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls, and video overlays
Display grouping
Combine multiple displays to behave like a single large display

Setup guide (pdf)

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to aurgathor

Yeah, I was going to say that I have an HD 6870 with four outputs. DVI (DL), DVI ( SL), HDMI, mini DisplayPort and mini DisplayPort. I'm running a triple 27" setup off it ( DVI, HDMI, Mini DisplayPort) but I believe it'll do four.

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
reply to aurgathor

If you get active DisplayPort adapters, it gets around the problem. They've come down a lot in price from a year or so ago. Here's one.

A few months ago, I found a really neat single-slot 6770 on Newegg that had 5 mini DisplayPort outputs. It's discontinued on there, but can be found elsewhere online.
--
KI6RIT

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

Hmmm, a somewhat pricey, but rather interesting card. Tried to look on XFX's site if they have a newer version -- however, it's the *worst* product page I've ever seen -- I have no idea what their web designers are doing, but I'd fire them on the spot.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to norwegian

As I've already mentioned, high end cards are out of question:
a) I don't do any gaming -- so the extra horse power would get wasted
b) I don't want to pay the extra for a high-end video cards
c) I don't want to pay for the extra electricity either
d) the PC has only one 6 pin connector (though I could probably use a Y-adapter)
e) the PS could be borderline for high-end cards
For the above reasons, 7770 or a comparable card is the absolute max, and the most preferred configuration would be: 2x DVI, 1x HDMI, 2x DP.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA

Just as an FYI, newer cards sip power when idle, even the high-end ones. I had around a 70-80w decrease in idle power usage when upgrading from my Radeon HD4870 to my 6970, and the 7750 and up use even less when on extended idle. I know it doesn't help with your situation much, but I just wanted to throw that out there for others .
--
KI6RIT

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit
reply to aurgathor

Seems a lot of them are out of stock.

These did pop up, however I'm not sure on the Galaxy item, it doesn't sound 4 monitor, but 2 extended monitor design. The bottom is a vga card. Didn't think all the cards I'd seen of late would be out of stock....timing I guess.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14129172
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14162083
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14139055

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···4139037R

On another note, wouldn't just supplementation with an Active DisplayPort Adapter get you on all 4 ports of 50% cards without looking over my unusual list?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to aurgathor

This one looks interesting:

KFA2 MDTX4 - GeForce GT 610 1GB DDR3
»www.kfa2.com/MDTX4610.shtml
--

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

.......and the most preferred configuration would be: 2x DVI, 1x HDMI, 2x DP.

For all of the cards with this configuration they were either too expensive, had 2 power plug needs or were out of stock.

Sorry I could not find 1 card in stock of this configuration that suited your needs. This close to Xmas, I'm surprised at the "All out of stock" for the type of cards you are after.
--

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
reply to norwegian

Neat card . I think that brand isn't sold in the US though, so it would have to be purchased from an overseas reseller.
--
KI6RIT

norwegian
Premium
Outback

There are 4 there with DDR5 ram if required, 2 on 560 and 2 on 680 gpus. Quite interesting. The 1 I posted seems a mix of all worlds; I've not seen them previously either and considering the lack of decent supply at present I'd be happy with an overseas purchase of a card like these for multi screen; Nvidia too which is a bonus, as I'd prefer to stay away from ATI/AMD personally - no real reason, I seem to have more fun with Nvidia over AMD/ATI drivers.

As for aurgathor See Profile's needs I'm not sure. You can only but try.

Side note:
I wonder if card like this or the more serious workstation cards form Nvidia and physX off a second card would perform if the software was CAD or something similar scientific wise. There is certainly some power out there if you have the cash and needs.
--

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

1 edit
reply to aurgathor

Thanks for all for the suggestions -- at the end I decided to modify my requirement slightly: 2xDVI, 1x HDMI and 1x DP -- and there were many hits for this one. I decided to go with the XFX CORE Edition FX-777A-ZNF4 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition mostly because it was the cheapest of many similar cards ($100 after MIR) The other finalist was the 5 DP XFX , but the GPU was a generation older, plus I would've needed 3 adapters, so the total cost would've been almost twice as much. (but I would've gotten this if it had a 7770).

Since I'll be using one of the DVI connector with a DVI to VGA adapter, I should be able to test if I can use 2x DVI and 1x HDMI concurrently.

I presume that we'll see a lot more 'lower end' cards with all (or mostly) DP connectors within a couple of years, so there should be a next time with a newer GPU.

Edit: fixed link -- it's an XFX, not a Saphire
--
Wacky Races 2012!

norwegian
Premium
Outback

said by aurgathor:

Since I'll be using one of the DVI connector with a DVI to VGA adapter, I should be able to test if I can use 2x DVI and 1x HDMI concurrently.

I think you will find 1 of those ports will need an Active DisplayPort Adapter to have them all working. There was a discussion here a while back with a 3 screen setup - not sure though.

Here's a couple of links in case you need to trouble shoot.
»Building 4-monitor system; Need motherboard/video pointers
»How Run Three Monitors? Win 7
»Building 4-monitor system; Need motherboard/video pointers

--

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

As per AMD's FAQ (quoted above) this card should allow me to have 3 monitors -- 2x DVI and 1x DP, no buts, ifs or maybes. 4 is rather doubtful, but I can't lose anything by trying.

I have probably over a dozen PCI video cards, so I can use one of those for that 4th video. As a matter of fact, I have 3 or 4 dual video PCI cards (they may not work with XP or later, however, in dual video mode since they're from the Win9x / NT 4.0 era )

In any case, this is what AMD GPUs can support, but with a few exceptions I don't think many actual cards support the maximum possible number of displays:

quote:

Up to 6 displays
============
AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 Series
AMD Radeon™ HD 7800 Series
AMD Radeon™ HD 7700 Series
AMD Radeon™ HD 6900 Series
AMD Radeon™ HD 6900M Series
AMD Radeon™ HD 6800 Series
AMD Radeon™ HD 6800M Series
AMD Radeon™ HD 6700M Series
AMD Radeon™ HD 6600M Series
AMD Radeon™ HD 6500M Series
ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 Series

Up to 5 displays
============
AMD Radeon™ HD 6700 Series
ATI Radeon™ HD 5700 Series

Up to 4 displays
============
AMD Radeon™ HD 6600 Series
AMD Radeon™ HD 6500 Series
AMD Radeon™ HD 6400M Series
AMD Radeon™ HD 6300M Series

Up to 3 displays
============
AMD Radeon™ HD 6400 Series
ATI Radeon™ HD 5600 Series
ATI Radeon™ HD 5500 Series
ATI Radeon™ H

--
Wacky Races 2012!

norwegian
Premium
Outback

I've not played with Eyefinity, and not sure if it will allow screens to be individual as such, it seems more a tool for gamers to use multi-screens from my interpretation.

If your happy to have 3 and add another older card to get 4 then you will be set to go, as I'm sure 3 monitors is not a problem with newer cards as you suggest. These are the things sitting on the other side of the world can't pick up with diagnosis.

Can you reply though when you get time and let us know if you can set up 4 screens without Eyefinity, or if you need it and you still are allowed 4 separate functioning screens etc without them all "molded as game mode" or not?
--

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
reply to aurgathor

That card only has one DVI connection. If you want to try what you're suggesting, you'll need a passive DisplayPort to DVI adapter. At that point, you might as well get an active one to guarantee it'll work.
--
KI6RIT

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

Click for full size
said by n_w95482:

That card only has one DVI connection.

Ooops, wrong link.

I actually bought an XFX card, as per attached segment from the invoice.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA

Ah, there you go. Let us know how it works .
--
KI6RIT

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to norwegian

I've received the card yesterday. It is big. I won't be able to do much testing before Sunday (and need to pick up 2 monitors from my storage first), but here's a couple of tidbits:
a) the cards power usage in idle is roughly the same as an old Nvidia 6600GT's (as measured with Kill-A-Watt)
b) the install program for XP sucks -- at some point it garbled my display midway the install and never restored it -- I waited about 30 mins so install could complete, then had to powercycle my PC .... (install was OK under win7/64) [will post a picture of it later]
c) the AMD SW in general isn't very polished -- when I click on check for SW update, it just takes me to AMD's website -- guys, this isn't the 20th century any more.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Look forward to more. It also may help others answer a similar question down the road.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

I finally did some tests to determine what works and what doesn't.

Seems to me of the two DVI & one HDMI only two can be used concurrently, even if one of the DVI is used with a DVI to VGA adapter.
Furthermore, HDMI has priority over DVI -- if I connect a monitor via HDMI when both of the DVI are in use, one of the DVI connection will be disconnected.

I haven't tried Displayport (need to find my cable ) but according to AMDs FAQ, that should work regardless of the rest.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

norwegian
Premium
Outback

I remember reading here an active adapter might help that cause, not a standard adapter, but I was under the impression 4 ports would not work - slightly misleading to the consumer.
I'm also assuming you have not tried Eyefinity and it's particulars either in your first tests?

I think it works on these as importance and in this order:
1. Displayport
2. HDMI
3. DVI

The software allows the extra port but not true 4 ports / screens. Hence the need for the twin processor cards we were posting.
It is a little misleading thinking 4 ports will give you 4 screens all of their own resolution on these 6xxx and 7xxx series cards.

Look forward to your analysis to prove or disprove this as I've only done research and haven't the spare funds to buy and test myself.
--

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

I kinda doubt it would be any different with Eyefinity -- seems to me the main restriction is that "there are only 2 TMDS controllers" as mentioned on the other page. I should receive my DP to VGA and DP to DVI adapters early next week, and that should make it good for 3 monitors (2x 1200x1024 portrait & 1x 1920x1200 landscape), and if I really want that 4th monitor, I can just use a PCI card. (Currently I only have space for at most 2 monitors, but in couple of months I should have much more space)
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

How are you making more space?

Multi-monitor stand mount,...?