uniqs
share rss forum feed

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to aurgathor

Re: video cards with 4 outputs

I've not played with Eyefinity, and not sure if it will allow screens to be individual as such, it seems more a tool for gamers to use multi-screens from my interpretation.

If your happy to have 3 and add another older card to get 4 then you will be set to go, as I'm sure 3 monitors is not a problem with newer cards as you suggest. These are the things sitting on the other side of the world can't pick up with diagnosis.

Can you reply though when you get time and let us know if you can set up 4 screens without Eyefinity, or if you need it and you still are allowed 4 separate functioning screens etc without them all "molded as game mode" or not?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to aurgathor

That card only has one DVI connection. If you want to try what you're suggesting, you'll need a passive DisplayPort to DVI adapter. At that point, you might as well get an active one to guarantee it'll work.
--
KI6RIT

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Click for full size
said by n_w95482:

That card only has one DVI connection.

Ooops, wrong link.

I actually bought an XFX card, as per attached segment from the invoice.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

Ah, there you go. Let us know how it works .
--
KI6RIT

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to norwegian

I've received the card yesterday. It is big. I won't be able to do much testing before Sunday (and need to pick up 2 monitors from my storage first), but here's a couple of tidbits:
a) the cards power usage in idle is roughly the same as an old Nvidia 6600GT's (as measured with Kill-A-Watt)
b) the install program for XP sucks -- at some point it garbled my display midway the install and never restored it -- I waited about 30 mins so install could complete, then had to powercycle my PC .... (install was OK under win7/64) [will post a picture of it later]
c) the AMD SW in general isn't very polished -- when I click on check for SW update, it just takes me to AMD's website -- guys, this isn't the 20th century any more.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Look forward to more. It also may help others answer a similar question down the road.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

I finally did some tests to determine what works and what doesn't.

Seems to me of the two DVI & one HDMI only two can be used concurrently, even if one of the DVI is used with a DVI to VGA adapter.
Furthermore, HDMI has priority over DVI -- if I connect a monitor via HDMI when both of the DVI are in use, one of the DVI connection will be disconnected.

I haven't tried Displayport (need to find my cable ) but according to AMDs FAQ, that should work regardless of the rest.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

norwegian
Premium
Outback

I remember reading here an active adapter might help that cause, not a standard adapter, but I was under the impression 4 ports would not work - slightly misleading to the consumer.
I'm also assuming you have not tried Eyefinity and it's particulars either in your first tests?

I think it works on these as importance and in this order:
1. Displayport
2. HDMI
3. DVI

The software allows the extra port but not true 4 ports / screens. Hence the need for the twin processor cards we were posting.
It is a little misleading thinking 4 ports will give you 4 screens all of their own resolution on these 6xxx and 7xxx series cards.

Look forward to your analysis to prove or disprove this as I've only done research and haven't the spare funds to buy and test myself.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

I kinda doubt it would be any different with Eyefinity -- seems to me the main restriction is that "there are only 2 TMDS controllers" as mentioned on the other page. I should receive my DP to VGA and DP to DVI adapters early next week, and that should make it good for 3 monitors (2x 1200x1024 portrait & 1x 1920x1200 landscape), and if I really want that 4th monitor, I can just use a PCI card. (Currently I only have space for at most 2 monitors, but in couple of months I should have much more space)
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

How are you making more space?

Multi-monitor stand mount,...?

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

Moving into a bigger room that has more space and a big bench....

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
reply to aurgathor

I like the Gigabyte 7870. It has 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 2 mini Displayports.
»www.gigabyte.us/products/product···&dl=1#ov

I had thought about going Eyeinfinity but when it came down to shopping for additional monitor, I opted for a Viewsonic Graphic Series VG2732m-LED Black 27"
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···24116508
--
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Matthew 5:8