share rss forum feed

HoboJ

join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON
kudos:1
reply to vitesse

Re: This Is Why We Need Pay Phones

said by vitesse:

another great solution is to use ham radio gear to make communication when nothing else work. Phone can only operate few hour under power outage. emergency battery can't last forever if they are not re-charged.

Unfortunately the public and more importantly emergency services aren't really equipped to interface with ham radio operators. Even with the ARES training done by many ham radio groups they're lucky to get even token support from their local emergency services. It really is a shame that such resources aren't better integrated or even acknowledged.

vitesse

join:2002-12-17
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC

1 recommendation

Ham radio emergency system are better implemented than one would think.

In Canada you have CFARS, RAC and RAQI that coordinate Emergency system with public emergency service.

lugnut

@look.ca
said by vitesse:

Ham radio emergency system are better implemented than one would think.

In Canada you have CFARS, RAC and RAQI that coordinate Emergency system with public emergency service.

This is why I keep a hand held Cobra CB Radio in my emergency kit. It runs on standard AA Batteries and I know it won't fail me in a real emergency.

»www.thesource.ca/estore/product.···=2111507

Cheap insurance at twice the price.

Cellphones and landlines can only get you so far in an emergency and the CB radio, belittled by most these days, is still a strong contender for the first line of emergency communication when the sh*t hits the fan

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to HoboJ
said by HoboJ:

said by vitesse:

another great solution is to use ham radio gear to make communication when nothing else work. Phone can only operate few hour under power outage. emergency battery can't last forever if they are not re-charged.

Unfortunately the public and more importantly emergency services aren't really equipped to interface with ham radio operators. Even with the ARES training done by many ham radio groups they're lucky to get even token support from their local emergency services. It really is a shame that such resources aren't better integrated or even acknowledged.

In fact, they are. Our local ham radio operators have a mobile trailer which is a co-ordinated part of the County disaster plan.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to HoboJ
said by HoboJ:

emergency services aren't really equipped to interface with ham radio operators. Even with the ARES training done by many ham radio groups they're lucky to get even token support from their local emergency services. It really is a shame that such resources aren't better integrated or even acknowledged.

That totally depends on where you live and is by no means universally true. The ARES guys and the local emergency responders have a half-decent relationship in Niagara, and they've relied on each other in the past during major storms.

I would imagine that in a storm the magnitude of Sandy the ham guys in New Jersey and Downstate New York are busy busy busy.