Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to oh LOOK

Premium Member

to oh LOOK

Re: The Billion Dollar Defferal Account. Part Deux

said by oh LOOK :

Hmm, Maybe the title of this topic should be:
How to lie to both the CRTC and federal cabinet to steal half a billion dollars? What do you think?

Sounds about right to me.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

Sounds about right to me.

No kidding...

I'd like to see them impose a timeline/bounty system actually where you only gets your cash when it's lit up.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by El Quintron:

I'd like to see them impose a timeline/bounty system actually where you only gets your cash when it's lit up.

I'd like to see the CRTC reclaim the balance of the billion dollars and tender/auction rural broadband off to those who will actually complete it instead of lying and lining their pockets. This is in addition to a fine the Bell Canada should be made to pay for doing nothing.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by hm :

I'd like to see the CRTC reclaim the balance of the billion dollars and tender/auction rural broadband off to those who will actually complete it instead of lying and lining their pockets. This is in addition to a fine the Bell Canada should be made to pay for doing nothing.

Agreed. The whole system should've gone into play like a bounty system... you hook up "x" amount of houses you get "y" dollars in funding.

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

Bell has gotten some (too many) contracts here at my work (government). Almost consistently, Bell's sales staff has the habit of promising things their tech staff have no idea how to do. So it always costs more and takes longer while their tech staff figure what they're doing. It sounds like that's what's happening here.

I was closely involved in one project that went that way. I was pretty pissed at their tech staff at first, 'cause they kept saying they couldn't do stuff that we were told was going to be done. Then when we got talking we realized their sales staff had promised the world - and put the world in the contract - without ever talking to their tech team. Then they just handed the tech team the contract and said "here, this is what we promised".

I hate Bell.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by cybersaga:

Then they just handed the tech team the contract and said "here, this is what we promised".

I hate Bell.

I don't blame you for hating Bell at all... have you ever fired them with penalties for breaching their contracts?

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

I'm not in a position to do that. I'm just one of the tech guys on our side. I wish though!

A few years ago they lost the contract for our network support, which they had previous to that. They were just subcontracting out all of the work, so it's no surprise there were going to be cheaper bids.

Bell subcontracts a lot of work, which I think just perpetuates the lack of communication. In that relatively small project I was involved in, there were two other companies involved subcontracted to do the work. Only the business analysts were actually Bell staff (I referred to them as the "tech team" before; they knew how their system worked, they just didn't do the work).

Bell just got another, big contract for voicemail support, which I hope they crash and burn on. We're actually going to get worse support (longer SLAs and more expensive to the end users) than we had before on our internally managed Octel system (which was ancient, mind you - still had to dial in to the system with a modem to make any changes). Staff will go from getting voicemail password resets in 2 minutes for free (using an automated system I built) to getting them in probably 2 days and at a cost. I really hope whoever decided to give Bell the contract gets slapped with a wet noodle.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to cybersaga

Premium Member

to cybersaga
said by cybersaga:

Bell has gotten some (too many) contracts here at my work (government). Almost consistently, Bell's sales staff has the habit of promising things their tech staff have no idea how to do. So it always costs more and takes longer while their tech staff figure what they're doing. It sounds like that's what's happening here.

I was closely involved in one project that went that way. I was pretty pissed at their tech staff at first, 'cause they kept saying they couldn't do stuff that we were told was going to be done. Then when we got talking we realized their sales staff had promised the world - and put the world in the contract - without ever talking to their tech team. Then they just handed the tech team the contract and said "here, this is what we promised".

I hate Bell.

Q: How do you know when an Bell salesman is lying?
A: When his mouth is moving.

-------------------------

There are two lions in the zoo. One says "You know, I am completely fed up with being here. Tomorrow, I intend to make my escape. The other says "I agree. I shall do the same". The following day at feeding time, they overpower their keeper, leap out of the cage, and run into the park outside the zoo. As they part, the first lion calls "Let's meet in six months' time. We'll come back to this park, and tell each other how we got on". Then they go their separate ways.

Six months later, as arranged, they meet.

The first lion says "Well, here we are. But say, what happened to you??? Your fur is falling out, you've got a torn ear and scratches everywhere, you're terribly thin - you look terrible".

The second lion replies "When I left the park, I ran towards the centre of town. There are a lot of butchers' shops there, and I thought I'd easily be able to overpower the staff and drag off a joints of meat. So I ran into one of the shops, but the owner called the police, and they called the army, with lots of men with nets and guns, and I only just got away. I managed to hide in the woods outside town, and since then, I've been living a miserable existence eating berries and the occasional rabbit when I can catch it, and I think it would be better to go back to the zoo. But say, you look as though you're OK. Youre fur is sleek and glossy, you're well-fed - what happened?

And the first lion says "You know there's corporate campus over at the other side of town. It's full of bushes and shrubs, and I decided to run over there and use it as my hideout. Well, there's a Bell office there. So I've been hiding out in the bushes, and I just eat an Bell manager each day. It's great. There's an endless supply, and no-one notices when one's gone.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

Now there's a modest proposal I could get behind, Swift would be proud.

Cheers,
EQ

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Q: How do you know when an Bell salesman is lying?
A: When his mouth is moving.

[coffee spewed]

Dude, I'm sending you the bill for a new keyboard, I swear.

Mike

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

The whole thing about the Lions was priceless... there are a bunch of Clients in the office right now and I'm about to bust a gut laughing.

Trembly
@videotron.ca

Trembly to cybersaga

Anon

to cybersaga
said by cybersaga:

So it always costs more and takes longer while their tech staff figure what they're doing. It sounds like that's what's happening here.

You see, here in Quebec there is a whole construction and mafia industry tied to politicians who skim money from the tax payer to line their pockets by cost over-runs (as you may well know with the corruption hearings going on).

You make it sounds about the same.