Premium Member
join:2001-02-26

1 recommendation

hayc59 to Ken1943

Premium Member

to Ken1943

Re: New AV Program - Opinion on Options

said by Ken1943:

Happy with Agnitum Outpost Security Suite for at least 5 years. They don't pay for reviews.

Right On!! or avast!!

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by hayc59:

Right On!! or avast!!

I used Avast! for years, but I really can't recommend it any more. The absolute disaster that was their last version soured me on them. System instability, and a drive-by installation of Chrome. It would give you seconds to decide "no" to installing Chrome. If you weren't at your PC or paying attention, you got it.

Worse, the installation of Chrome would, in many cases, destroy your existing installation of Chrome, if you had it.

Point being, if the company making your A/V software has a product, that itself could be described as Malware itself, it doesn't build a lot of trust....

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-23
Midwest

poppster

Premium Member

said by Ian1:

said by hayc59:

Right On!! or avast!!

I used Avast! for years, but I really can't recommend it any more. The absolute disaster that was their last version soured me on them. System instability, and a drive-by installation of Chrome. It would give you seconds to decide "no" to installing Chrome. If you weren't at your PC or paying attention, you got it.

Worse, the installation of Chrome would, in many cases, destroy your existing installation of Chrome, if you had it.

Point being, if the company making your A/V software has a product, that itself could be described as Malware itself, it doesn't build a lot of trust....

So you can't un click "install chrome" during installation? If people would just watch what they are clicking during installs this wouldn't happen. It's not a drive by install by any means. I just put a new version of Avast on a laptop and simply told it not to install chrome.

wow, thats the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by poppster:

So you can't un click "install chrome" during installation? If people would just watch what they are clicking during installs this wouldn't happen.

wow, thats the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

If people would read anything more carefully, not an issue, I guess. For example, if you had read my post carefully, you would have noted that Avast! didn't wait for you to confirm. If you, say, went to grab a coffee while your system was re-booted, then you got Chrome. In many cases, destroying your existing installation of it.

If you're ok with software companies doing that type of thing, great. I'm not. And for now, coupled with a buggy program version, Avast! has no place on any of my systems. If you're happy with it, super.

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-23
Midwest

poppster

Premium Member

if you are installing a program why would you intentionally leave during the process? Still operator error.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by poppster:

if you are installing a program why would you intentionally leave during the process? Still operator error.

Not everyone likes to stare at a screen for no useful purpose while their computer boots?

Avast! Drive-by installed with a (momentary) process to opt out a (potentially) damaging program, by default. Again, if you're happy with that sort of behaviour from the software companies that you choose to trust with important tasks, to each their own. I'm not.