John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:5

2 edits
reply to JoeSchmoe007

Re: Water and natural gas availability during power outage.

said by JoeSchmoe007:

To be better prepared...

To specifically address that issue...

You should store as much water as you possible can, and have a method of filtering bad water for drinking:

»www.wavesforwater.org/community-filters/

»www.vestergaard-frandsen.com/lif···ifestraw

»eartheasy.com/lifestraw

Make provisions for heating, or, rather, staying warm, given your expressed concerns. I'm thinking clothes, blankets, and one of these:

»www.mrheater.com/ProductFamily.aspx?catid=41

Note that this device is safe for interior use as it has a low-oxygen shutoff.

The four immediate-need basic groups you must have:

• Water
• Food
• Medical
• Security

You already have shelter, and, due to the nature of your building, probably will have in most circumstances. It would be prudent, however, to have a 72 hour pack ready to go near your exit...because, you know, shit happens.

Finally, you might want to consider talking with your neighbors (if you like them ) in some fashion to discuss in a friendly way how "the building" will deal with things if you all aren't as lucky in the future.

Have a plan...
--
The most powerful weapon in the world is ignorance. Politicians exploit it to achieve almost anything they want.

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS

said by John Galt:

said by JoeSchmoe007:

To be better prepared...

....I'm thinking clothes, blankets, and one of these:

»www.mrheater.com/ProductFamily.aspx?catid=41

Note that this device is safe for interior use as it has a low-oxygen shutoff.

Did anyone ever use one of these indoors? Reviews mention that it gets too hot to use on regular floors (wood/carpet) and you need to isolate it somehow (put it on bricks or something like that.?

tmh

@verizon.net

said by JoeSchmoe007:

Did anyone ever use one of these indoors? Reviews mention that it gets too hot to use on regular floors (wood/carpet) and you need to isolate it somehow (put it on bricks or something like that.?

I have. After a couple of hours of use in the basement, it gave me a splitting headache, and I'm not prone to headaches.

Al