join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

1 recommendation

Nezmo to dirtyjeffer0

MVM

to dirtyjeffer0

Re: Apple now has a Lightning to Micro USB Cable

said by dirtyjeffer0:

you have to remember, Apple does things differently...they don't just sell you a device, they sell you an experience...any of those other devices, you simply buy it, and figure it out on your own...with an Apple product, you can go to an Apple store, sit in on a seminar to learn how to use it, get some one-on-one time with a "Genius" to provide some custom assistance focused on what you need...nobody else (currently) does that...you give them your money, and the transaction is done...it is this "extra" that has helped Apple separate itself as "just another" tablet or smartphone manufacturer.

How romantic and cute. I like my iPhone and iPad but I can't get emotionally attached to them as many do. Experience? It's an electronic device . I concede. I don't think I'm on the same plane as those that are so emotionally tied to Apple and thus I will likely never understand and any further discussion from me is probably worthless.

It was interesting earlier that because I was saying something negative about Apple I was branded an Android fan. That says it all really.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by Nezmo:

How romantic and cute. I like my iPhone and iPad but I can't get emotionally attached to them as many do. Experience? It's an electronic device .

you are not understand my point...i'm not talking about romance or emotional attachment to a brand...i am talking about "Customer Experience"...while plenty of people (many of whom i work with) are fine to grab an android device, sideload all kinds of different OSs and do all kinds of funky things with them, they are the exception, not the norm...many people just want it to work and do what the bought it for (phone, email, messaging, web, apps)...in that respect every device works quite well, but Apple does have that extra service available, should that be of interest to you.

case in point, several people i work with drive Lexus vehicles...are the Lexus vehicles really that much better than their Toyota (or other brand) equivalents?...debatable, but probably not...however, they drop their vehicles off for service/maintenance, get a Lexus loaner for the day and continue on business as usual, rather than get dropped off in a courtesy vehicle and be without wheels for the day...the Lexus dealership has a much higher level of service, and really, isn't that much more money to get your work done at...they don't do $9.99 Oil Changes, or $79 brake jobs...they do have competitive prices on what they do, but their niche is service, so for a little more than what most places charge, you get a much higher level of service...that is the Customer Experience, and many companies are following that business model, rather than a race to the bottom.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

Service has it's time and place, but again many people are not willing to pay the premium involved for such a thing, and only a handful who do utilize said service.

Your quote is a misquote by the way, there is no evidence that Orwell actually said it. He has similar thoughts in his writings on nationalism and Rudyard Kipling, but no direct quotes. The closest is Churchill saying, "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by sk1939:

Service has it's time and place, but again many people are not willing to pay the premium involved for such a thing, and only a handful who do utilize said service.

i would tend to disagree, considering the number of products Apple sells...as well, the few times i have been to their store, it is always jam packed with people getting instructions on things or attending one of their seminars (which they do several a day on).

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by sk1939:

i would tend to disagree, considering the number of products Apple sells...as well, the few times i have been to their store, it is always jam packed with people getting instructions on things or attending one of their seminars (which they do several a day on).

Must be a locale thing, down here its mostly window shoppers and people purchasing. Seminars are usually attended by older people who drive their Prii to get there.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

our store is a mixed bag...teens window shopping, young adults buying, older people looking/buying...plenty of people taking the seminars, but not usually the "youngins".