Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Styvas

Re: Bullfrog Power -- an interesting concept

92% of power in Quebec is hydro, most of the rest is thermal stuff like biogas. And a touch of nuclear, although they're shutting it down. What exactly is Bullfrog going to do in Quebec to improve the power generation which is produced by HydroQuebec (who have a monopoly on power generation)?
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

They had me puzzled on the Quebec page...

»www.bullfrogpower.com/home/powerque.cfm

We import 20% of our electricity from outside? I was not aware of that. Does Quebec really do that?

And they list 76%, which is hydro electricity, as 'other', and then list their bullfrog electricity as 100% green that comes from... hydro!

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by ekster:

We import 20% of our electricity from outside? I was not aware of that. Does Quebec really do that?

Don't even get me started.

Quebec imports 20% of it's electricity. This surprises you?

Wait until you find out how much you export. And to whom.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

I know about the exportation part very well, but I'm unaware of the importing part. Unless it's Hydro Q's electricity being imported back after it exported it, or it's just electricity passing through us to the to another state/province.

Tried looking but couldn't find anything specific about imports.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

Yeah... it's a shell game, with magical disappearing peas.

I had difficulty with the Bullfrog concept anyways, but the games being played with our resources to the detriment of our wallets and the benefit of a very select few made the whole Bullfrog idea moot.

For me anyway.

It's all one big scam, Bullfrog included.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to ekster

said by ekster:

They had me puzzled on the Quebec page...

»www.bullfrogpower.com/home/powerque.cfm

And they list 76%, which is hydro electricity, as 'other', and then list their bullfrog electricity as 100% green that comes from... hydro!

We import during the winter and export during the summer, among other things. We also provide something like a third of all power in Vermont (28% in 2003, but we've increased the deal since then). Considering that we export something like 20 terawatt hours of power per year (Vermont's total consumption is 6), we're doing pretty good.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org