koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to Krisnatharok

Re: [hard drive] New HDD, problems?

Drive is in perfect condition; nothing anomalous whatsoever.

I can expand/explain a few of the attributes which may be causing causing concern (specifically 0x01, 0x07, 0xBE, 0xC1, 0xF1, and 0xF2), but I can assure you they're not of concern. For now keeping it simple: drive is in great condition.

Time for bed...

Comment in passing: be aware that this is one of the Seagate models which excessively parks its heads (yes, the same thing as some Western Digital drives), so you will see the RAW_VALUE ("Data") number for attribute 0xC1 increase during normal use. You might also be able to hear the drive doing this -- it sounds like a "screeching" noise, akin to that of a stuck head, but it isn't a stuck head. The ST2000DM001 (2TB) I tried many months ago did this and I could hear it from across the room (but then again I have very sensitive hearing and I try to keep my PCs as quiet as possible). Worse, that drive DID NOT adjust attribute 0xC1 when it parked its heads, which was a fantastic firmware bug/design flaw. With the -DM003 (or possibly a newer firmware on the -DM003) it looks like they addressed the lack-of SMART attribute update when this behaviour happens, which is good, but I wish these vendors would stop with this behaviour altogether as it provides zero gain in a desktop drive. For example, with your drive, in just 10 hours the drive has parked/unparked its heads 522 times, which to me is beyond excessive. Laptop drives? Totally different story...
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 recommendation

Wow, well, OK. We'll see how long it lasts then.

Thanks, as always, for the informative reply!