Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to JoeSchmoe007

Re: [Optimum Voice] How was phone service during power outage?

The problem is how long do the nodes battery backup last. You can connect the modem to a generator but if the node is out of power you will still lose service.

Tech

@optonline.net
The nodes will stay up about 6 hours on battery depending on the load. CV techs are on generator powering the node and in some instances there are unmanned generator chained to power supplies

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by Tech :

CV techs are on generator powering the node and in some instances there are unmanned generator chained to power supplies

I saw no evidence of this in my neighborhood during the past week. Also OptWiFi hotspots in blacked-out areas were not working until power was restored.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
said by Bob4:

said by Tech :

CV techs are on generator powering the node and in some instances there are unmanned generator chained to power supplies

I saw no evidence of this in my neighborhood during the past week. Also OptWiFi hotspots in blacked-out areas were not working until power was restored.

Optimum WiFi was working here and as far as I can tell almost the whole neighborhood was out. I used it in at least 4 spots were the cross streets power was out.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Optimum Online
reply to Tech
I saw that on nodes but never (so far) on additional Alpha boxes that power line amps... e.g. I was out for a week because of this... Just got OOL back last night... FIOS would have made a killing had they ad any sense: My ONT was still showing good path to the CO - but VZ was unwilling to setup without a site visit... they never change.... OOL came back when power was restored to the primary running to the alpha box.... In retrospect I am happy that I had power without OOL vs. OOL without power... Of course a more reliant network topology will be a must going forward - I don't think Sandy is an 'if it happens again' but more of a 'when will it happen next' event... All Utilities will need to wake up to this quickly...
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---

Gest

@optonline.net
reply to TheWiseGuy
If your whole nieghborhood was out then most likely every power supply may have been out 1-4 or more. There not gonna put that many generators for houses that dont have electric. Maybe a few houses with generators may have benefited but overall no

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
We never lost power, but CV services were out for 5 days. Came right on when they restored power to the street where the node is.

Happens to us each storm - never seen a CV generator.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
I saw one in Bedford, NY this morning. It was being watched by a Cablevision tech.

Gest

@optonline.net
reply to jaa
Are you on longisland jaa?