Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rapamatic

join:2001-12-15
Glencoe, IL
reply to jmr50

Re: Powering ONT without BBU?

I contacted Verizon over twitter, they were able to schedule an appt for today. Much more helpful than phone support.
--
The more corrupt the State the more numerous the laws.

trinity bldr

@verizon.net
not sure if my bbu is toast. after power came on (post-storm repairs) system ran for 4-5 hrs, then dies. assumed service ouutage. finally checked box and bbu error message was "replace battery", which i did w/ one form radio shack (still can't figure out why dead backup battery would casue system to not work) anyway, system ran for about 5 hrs then died. error lights were replace battery (red) and system status (green). do i keep putting batteries in or can someone suggest something more permanent?

trinity bldr

@verizon.net
reply to rapamatic
also, why is there an aux power jack on the bbu and can powering this up with the correct adapter solve this problem....also, does anyone know what the cioreect 12v adapter IS????

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
said by trinity bldr :

also, why is there an aux power jack on the bbu and can powering this up with the correct adapter solve this problem....also, does anyone know what the cioreect 12v adapter IS????

The closest you'll find easily available is a RadioShack Enercell type H adapter. It fits loosely, but will work. I know it works when connected to an external battery. I do not know if it works on an AC adapter.

Connect to Auxiliary Power port. Within 7 seconds, you should see the Aux Power LED light. You may need to wiggle the adapter to make the connection.

At that point, if the System status LED is off, then press blue Emergency Use button to boot the ONT.

If Status LED is already lit, you have power to the ONT already. If the internal battery is powering the BBU and there is no AC power, then remove the internal battery, connect external battery, then press Emergency Use button.

If you pull the internal battery and the Status LED stays lit, then you have AC power. If your BBU/ONT is not working right at this point, then you have a hardware issue that needs a tech.

Carnivore

join:2003-01-06
reply to rapamatic
Thanks for the twitter tip. They sent a tech out today who replaced my battery backup unit and that solved the problem. He mentioned that many customers' BBU failed from the storm and I got the last one on his truck. He said there are more on backorder.

rapamatic

join:2001-12-15
Glencoe, IL
said by Carnivore:

Thanks for the twitter tip. They sent a tech out today who replaced my battery backup unit and that solved the problem. He mentioned that many customers' BBU failed from the storm and I got the last one on his truck. He said there are more on backorder.

Yeah, I think that is my problem also - bad BBU. Unfortunately, the tech who came out today (while I was at work) just put in a new battery and pronounced the problem solved. I come home from work and everything is dead. Hopefully the tech who comes tomorrow will be able to replace the BBU.

Carnivore - where are you located? I hope they aren't out of BBUs in Manhattan!
--
The more corrupt the State the more numerous the laws.

Carnivore

join:2003-01-06
I'm in North Jersey, not Manhattan. Good luck!