spc
Search similar:

uniqs
brianjmc1971
join:2003-01-22
Old Bridge, NJ

brianjmc1971

Hurricane damage to office, need static IP

Sent this to Optimum direct with no response, maybe somebody here could figure a work around.

Hurricane damage to office, need static IP
My office was destroyed during Hurricane Sandy's visit. We had Ultra business. I have residential Ultra at home. I moved my exchange server(and all my other servers to my home). I reconfigured everything on my side and our email is working fine, EXCEPT due to getting a DHCP ip address we are now listed on a couple of spam blockers and our mail is not getting though to some of our clients. here's my question(I know I have to contact sales, I have been communicating of OOL chat)...

1. Can my modem(with static IP) be moved from my office to my home(both ool locations)?
2. If the answer is NO, Can I switch my residential account to a business account to get a static IP?
3. If yes, could they do it at the office instantly? Would I need a new modem? How long would this take?

Been a pretty frantic week, hoping for some good news...

Thanks,
Brian

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by brianjmc1971:

1. Can my modem(with static IP) be moved from my office to my home(both ool locations)?

It may be different due to static IP, but in general, yes. You can bring an OOL modem anywhere on their network and it'll work. It's against the TOS and they could easily check that the modem is not where it's supposed to be, but I've never heard of somebody having an issue.

How far is your house from your work site? If it's relatively close, you may be on the same head end.

Another solution may be using a third-party SMTP server to filter your mail through. I run my own private mail server on a dynamic address and relay all messages through the ISP's server.

P.S. If this is an urgent issue, why are you wasting time in the Direct Forum or online chats? Call up the Business support hotline and I'm sure they'll tell you your options.
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard to brianjmc1971

to brianjmc1971
Do you have a DPQ3925 all-in-one static-IP modem, or a any-modem+Cisco 851 router combo?

The latter has the 851 bonded to the modem (by way of configuration) - you cannot move the 851 to a different cable modem.

Please call support to help you - the fact that you're getting a dynamic IP (which is completely unusable for sending mail to world) seems to indicate that the static-IP config on your device has been lost, and needs to be fixed.

Also, you cannot take your static-IP assignment with you from one major service area to another (like NJ to CT, or NJ to LI) - that is not supported, and will not work.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner to brianjmc1971

Premium Member

to brianjmc1971
You can always setup a smart host in your Exchange server and have it forward your outbound SMTP traffic to CV while they figure this out.
brianjmc1971
Old Bridge, NJ

brianjmc1971

Thanks, any guides online?
Thanks,
Brian

tburke
join:2005-11-09
Brooklyn, NY

tburke to brianjmc1971

to brianjmc1971
I've been with Rollernet for 5+ years, no relationship other than a very happy customer. They provide outbound service and a very good guide here-

»acc.rollernet.us/help/ma ··· ound.php
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner to brianjmc1971

Premium Member

to brianjmc1971
What version of Exchange do you run?
root
join:2002-12-11

root to brianjmc1971

to brianjmc1971
To answer question 2 and 3...

You can switch from Resi to business and get static IP however it is not instant. Best bet on a timeline is to give a call to commercial sales and see what they can do for you. Perhaps if you mention you'e already live for resi service they can help you out faster than if you were a new install.

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

Did the samething sorta with my exchange server in CT. I was thinking to move my "server" - (it's actually Virtual - Hyper-V so it's easy to just copy it to a USB HDD and go) but ended up just doing a MX backup service since ours is only shorterm.

For you, i'd try bringing the modem and Cisco routers they give yout o your house and see if they can connect. If so then it's easy to connect your Exchange to it as your IP follows the modem's MAC.

If that doesn't work you can do what has already been mentioned which is placing OOLs SMTP servers in Exchange as a SmartHost (Send Connector) in ESM. From then on mail will come to your server directly as long as you have port 25 unblocked (Boost+ and Up) and sending mail will use OOLs SMTP sever.
dan1431
join:2007-05-10
Winter Park, FL

dan1431 to brianjmc1971

to brianjmc1971
My Uncle had damage to his office and when he called OOL for Business he was told that if he had service at his house, he was more than welcome to swap his modem at home for his work modem while repairs were made to his office.

They said that normally it is against TOS but due to the Hurricane really there are no rules being enforced at the moment and that his account would be notated anyway, but not to worry.

Dan
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to SHoTTa35

Premium Member

to SHoTTa35
said by SHoTTa35 :

If so then it's easy to connect your Exchange to it as your IP follows the modem's MAC.

That will work if the modem is connected to the same headend.

If not, he will receive an IP address from the dynamic pool of the headend where the modem polls for a lease, which sounds to me like what's happening.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by tired_runner:

If not, he will receive an IP address from the dynamic pool of the headend where the modem polls for a lease, which sounds to me like what's happening.

It sounds to me like he hasn't even tried it yet. He's saying his normal OOL service at home is pulling the dynamic address, not his BOOL modem/router.
brianjmc1971
Old Bridge, NJ

brianjmc1971

Sorry for late response, trying to get 30 people in a hotel conference room remoting in to our backoffice has been "fun". I was told multiple times that I could move my bool modem to my home rool and it will work for a short time, BUT it will deactivate due to a flag from moving the modem - nothing they can do to override this, so I'm not sure why one poster was told to do it. 90% of emails are going through. users setup dummy gmail email for the 10%. have ool tech coming on monday to switch rool to bool.
Thanks Brian
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

You will not get to transfer the static IPs from the business account for the duration that the business account is deactivated. It would be a new block of IPs on the 2nd account.

I don't recall how the CMTSs are set up, but it might be that each Static IP block will only work on the CMTS that the business account's node is on.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

said by frdrizzt:

I don't recall how the CMTSs are set up, but it might be that each Static IP block will only work on the CMTS that the business account's node is on.

Seeing as Cablevision owns and issues IP addresses from non-portable blocks to their customers, that would be an educated assumption.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to brianjmc1971

Premium Member

to brianjmc1971
Having static IP at your disaster recovery site seems to make sense - even if it is your home.

When you office was destroyed, did it destroy your servers and you had to rebuild them from backups? Or were you able to retrieve the undamaged servers?
brianjmc1971
Old Bridge, NJ

brianjmc1971

Servers were undamaged(Thank the Lord!!!!), the UPS was underwater, but not the servers. I had backups of everything and every sunday I image the "C" operating system drive, so I could have gotten everything back, but glad it didn't come to that.
Now the fun part, the only UPS we could get where dumb ones, so I cant leave my house until we get smart ones(afraid if I lose power to the house and I only have 6 minutes of battery time with loads - if they go down hard they might corrupt). The one from work that went "swimming" was able to email me and I had an hours time to shut everything down. I shut everything down remote after the office lost power using my verizon droid...
Brian

Ps - definitely a learning experience of worst case scenario... thought I was pretty protected, but now I know better... funny I have 30 plus works remoting into my basement as we speak from our temp office
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to tired_runner

to tired_runner
said by tired_runner:

said by frdrizzt:

Seeing as Cablevision owns and issues IP addresses from non-portable blocks to their customers, that would be an educated assumption.

I know the addresses from DHCP work like that, but the static IP ranges don't come from the DHCP servers, which is why I'm not 100% certain.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

I'd think CV allocates a certain pool of addresses for static assignments the same way that it does for dynamic ones as it needs to, and I would hope the static pools use assignments that are generally not identified as dynamic. It would defeat the purpose of getting a static address to a certain extent.

Of course there's the stupid way of doing it like Verizon DSL does. They add a MAC reservation to an address from the dynamic pool. You technically get the same address all the time, except the RBL's still think you're a spammer.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

1 edit

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Yes OOL does has specific blocks for static IPs. nltech mentioned in a post that it shows up as static.

»Re: Optimum Wifi Ip-addresses

edit oops forget it completely wrong.

Remember that the port on the CMTS where the user will send packets must have as one of its IPs the gateway address for the specific /29 subnet assigned to the user. Exactly how that is assigned to the port I am not sure it could be as simple as the DHCP server uses a static assignment based on the Customers static routers MAC address and assigns it to the CMTS but it also could be that the CMTS has it assigned statically to the correct port