EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

WD Live-Media player

I picked up a couple 3TB Seagate Caviars last week, on sale.
After formatting, and dumping a few movies onto one, I cannot get the WD live TV player to recognize it!
Also, I find the write times to be pretty slow compared to the WD 'blue' series. Instead of the usual 30-40MB sustained write, I'm getting 15-20MB writing.
So, is WD not recognizing seagates a planned thing on WD's behalf?
Or is the large TB throwing the player off? I've tried formatting to 3TB (one large partition), 2TB (one partition only, remainder empty space), and neither formatting scheme is recognizable to the WD Live TV.
The drives work great connected to various computers.....

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

There's no such thing as a Seagate Caviar.... Caviar was a WD brand, but they stopped using those years ago. WD Caviar was the equivalent of the Blue (mid range) series.

As for the WD Live, perhaps the device can't recognize larger drives than 2TB. Have you checked if there is a newer firmware?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Caviar comes from the Sea, right?

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

There's no such thing as a Seagate Caviar.... Caviar was a WD brand, but they stopped using those years ago. WD Caviar was the equivalent of the Blue (mid range) series.

As for the WD Live, perhaps the device can't recognize larger drives than 2TB. Have you checked if there is a newer firmware?

Whoops, not caviar, barracuda drives.
The first thing I did after seeing the problem was to upgrade the firmware, so that's done.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to EUS

to EUS
Which USB port on your WD TV Live is the 3TB connected to?

There is a problem with the rear port of the WD TV Live...

»community.wdc.com/t5/ide ··· comments

I have a 1 TB Lacie drive connected to my WD TV Live which consistently lost connection to the WD unit. Switching it to the front port eliminated the issue...

There was a firmware upgrade last week which I aplied. Not sure if it resolved the issue or...

However I much prefer to connect my WD TV live over my wifi to the Samba shares on my Linux box. I find that works much better for me then the external usb Lacie drive...

It also appears WD TV Live doesn't support drives over 3 TB for firmware 1.05.04_V and earlier...

»community.wdc.com/t5/WD- ··· p/426994

Upgrade firmware or attach the 3TB to a computer and set it up as a share...

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

Oinktastic to EUS

to EUS
There are reports of 3TB drives getting trashed by the WD TV Live. I would hold off on using it with the media box. Unfortunately, 2TB maximum seems to be the current situation.

note: It seems that most/many 3TB Western Digital drives actually work, after the firmware upgrade, but not competitors drives so much.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
I have an early version of the WD TV Live, which has a back, and a side usb, no front usb.
I have been using the back port for 2 years without problem.....
The WD forums are not great, one person writes about 3TB problem, 2 others write that 3TB work after a firmware upgrade, no luck for me.
EUS

EUS to Oinktastic

Premium Member

to Oinktastic
I was afraid of the scenario where competitor's drives are not usable, but honestly did not think it was possible to lock out different brands of h-drives, and if true, this would make me a very unhappy customer.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Does it have wireless?

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Not built in, I have to use a wireless dongle.
It does have a wired port.
I am presently looking for documentation on samba shares. But it would have to be wireless networking, I am not fishing more wires through the walls...
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Try samba.org...

»www.samba.org/

I find Samba on Ubuntu or OpenSuse is relatively easy to configure.... I use Gnome so can't speak of KDE or LXDE or Xfce or ????

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

I've had samba running for years for users over ssh, but have no idea as to what WD requires.....
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Just Samba. I already had an existing home network with two Linux computers setup for file & print sharing via Samba. And two client Windows 7 computers.

I just added the WD TV Live to my already existing network in late spring... It was easy...

Just make the share with your movies available to everyone with no password...

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Samba security for WD = USER, correct?
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

PS: When first setting up I would disable the firewall on the Linux computers. Once you have verified Samba is working I would enable the firewall and open up the Samba ports for the ip of your WD TV Live and other home devices you want to access the shares///

Samba ports
tcp ports 135, 139, 445
udp port 137, 138
vue666

vue666 (banned) to EUS

to EUS
I'd have to look at my samba.conf file. At work presently but if you want to I can look when I get home...

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

That would be great, thx.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

No probs...my pleasure...

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Caviar was a WD brand, but they stopped using those years ago. WD Caviar was the equivalent of the Blue (mid range) series.

Western Digital still referred to them as "Caviar" drives on the disty promo sheets as of November 2011, that's a pretty recent branding switch about a year ago now. They transitioned it so smoothly I didn't even realize they dropped 'caviar' until your post!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Oh, i just thought they officially stopped using the Caviar brand when they had the Green/Blue/Black lines....

But I looked at a dead (surprise surprise) 1.5TB Green I have here at work that needs to be RMA'd and it's branded WD Caviar Green.

The drive was made in 2011.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah, they were Caviar Green, Caviar Blue and Caviar Black. The "WD Red" is the only drive that was never known as a Caviar at any point during its production life.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

I am presently looking for documentation on samba shares. But it would have to be wireless networking, I am not fishing more wires through the walls...

You can forget about 1080P and even 720P over wireless. Not going to happen.

Also, I had problems with large shares over wireless too. It took so long to scan the shares the connection borked and the firmware hung to the point of reboot.

You may want to reconsider fishing some cat5e.

Mike

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Thx for the heads up.
If that's the case, f*** it, I'll go back to the 1TB drive (that worked) and rotate movies off the computer that will now house the 3TB drive.
After fishing 2 new coax for satellite for the same tv (from ground floor to basement), I'm not doing that again. Ever!
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

I do both frequently over 902.11n.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by IamGimli:

said by dillyhammer:

802.11n I have done 720P over a power plug network and then wireless and it works.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

said by IamGimli:

said by dillyhammer:

802.11n I have done 720P over a power plug network and then wireless and it works.

720P yes, if the bitrate is cranked so low the video looks like shit anyways.

Otherwise....

Stutter. Skip. Freeze. Kack. Reboot. Rinse. Repeat.

WDTV Live, Patriot Box Office, same issue. That is my experience, to this day, with both.

Go wired or go USB.

Mike

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

Otherwise....

Stutter. Skip. Freeze. Kack. Reboot. Rinse. Repeat.

WDTV Live, Patriot Box Office, same issue. That is my experience, to this day, with both.

Go wired or go USB.

Mike

I have no idea on the bitrate, but I have done it and the picture looked good.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
No stuttering or freezing via wireless at my home. It runs as smooth as a DVD or BluRay disc in a player...

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by vue666:

No stuttering or freezing via wireless at my home. It runs as smooth as a DVD or BluRay disc in a player...

What runs as smooth as a BluRay?

Full 1080P over wireless on a WDTV Live?

Mike

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

Bull. Get better wireless hardware.

5GHz 802.11n with 40MHz channels in greenfield mode makes a *huge* difference. Try it sometime.