share rss forum feed

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to Gigabyte2004

Re: Cat5/Cat6...... Phone/DSL install

There you go. Now run that new extension for the DSL modem. It's a beautiful weekend.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Gigabyte2004

join:2004-09-12
Morganton, NC

I'm running new lines for two phones and the dedicated DSL tomorrow.I'm glad that this part is done. Thanks for the help.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

said by Gigabyte2004:

I'm running new lines for two phones and the dedicated DSL tomorrow.I'm glad that this part is done. Thanks for the help.

and that should complete your NID issue...moving on to others now...

congrats!

Gigabyte2004

join:2004-09-12
Morganton, NC

Thanks for the help.

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Charter
·surpasshosting
reply to medbuyer

can you explain?

Yes. You have a different model interface than the OP. The OP's test module has an incorporated protector. The test module connects directly to a ground bus. Your NID has separate protectors.
Also, yours is improperly installed. There should be a separable test module in front of the POTS splitter for the legally required demarcation.
--

xbell

@cgocable.net
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Another thing, and this is important, - you have one IW going into the house. There isn't anything to split! A NID splitter will do you no good. Perhaps you misunderstood the function of the NID split; it's to isolate the DSL jack from the voice jacks. In order to do this, the DSL jack needs to be a home run back to the NID.

A caveat is in order here. In this particular case his one IW only has the capacity for one circuit whereas most quad have two circuit capacity with the black wire available. If he had quad the modem circuit would be the yellow-black and the phones would go in on the red-green. That three conductor is rare up here and we split everything on quad (if we have to use it) outside at the nid on these.

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO

We call it "pair-and-a-half". I still find it everywhere. Even in commercial locations. I think it was big in the 60's.
--

xbell

@cgocable.net

said by nunya:

We call it "pair-and-a-half". I still find it everywhere. Even in commercial locations. I think it was big in the 60's.

It was used up here as the next generation of wire to replace what we called bridle wire an three conductor black wire in the late 50s. The fourth conductor (black) was added for a risol (ringer isolator) on a two party tip side subscriber around the early 70s here. Little did they know that virtually the whole continent would be wired with quad for decades and provide a second pair by doing so. When I work in the US I have noticed that you guys are way ahead of us in implementing twisted pair ISW.

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to Gigabyte2004

Glad you got everything resolved (finally!)

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Gigabyte2004

I remember back in the day with load coils and such you didn't want to touch the black and yellow wires bare handed without checking for live voltage.