Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gigabyte2004

join:2004-09-12
Morganton, NC
reply to Gigabyte2004

Re: Cat5/Cat6...... Phone/DSL install

Tech guy just left. He installed the DSL splitter in the box,but I lost my DSL signal. Removed it and the signal came back. He said that I may be on the border of my service.
He gave me the splitter and some connectors and even his cell phone number if I had any problems when I run the new wire.He thinks that once I run new wire and get the phone off the same line that it will be ok.We will see.

He said he cleaned up the old wires in the NID while he was out there.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
said by Gigabyte2004:

Tech guy just left. He installed the DSL splitter in the box,but I lost my DSL signal. Removed it and the signal came back. He said that I may be on the border of my service.
He gave me the splitter and some connectors and even his cell phone number if I had any problems when I run the new wire.He thinks that once I run new wire and get the phone off the same line that it will be ok.We will see.

He said he cleaned up the old wires in the NID while he was out there.

can you post pics now of how the NID looks like inside and outside?

curious, what splitters can connectors did he give you?

Gigabyte2004

Morganton, NC
reply to Gigabyte2004
He did not change out the nid. I went and looked at the NID,and it looks like he just unhooked the wire that really didn't go anywhere.It also looks like he ran the phone line straight to the main wire without attaching it to the test port or the lugs that it was attached to.
He said that they were lines in there that went to nowhere in the house.So,somewhere under the house I have phone lines that just go nowhere.
I'll run and get some pics in a second.

Gigabyte2004

Morganton, NC
reply to Gigabyte2004
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's what the NID looks like now and the splitter he gave. Sorry I forgot to rotate the picture.

medbuyer

said by Gigabyte2004:

Here's what the NID looks like now and the splitter he gave. Sorry I forgot to rotate the picture.

what a dumb*ss.....

that splitter is just like the one I posted earlier that need to be inside a new NID.

there's no way for you to use that on the old NID.

you got a lazy tech. one that doesn't know what he's doing....you said when he installed the filter you lost dsl signal and when he took it off you got it back again...he obviously is smoking something...

you're back to square one...call and complain about the inept and lazy tech did to your NID.

your issue won't go not unless that gets fixed...and if you have to wait and watch him, you might just have to do it...

OH and PRINT the picture I posted with the filter inside for reference...see if he can figure that out and do the same, if not don't waste your time..

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
You have to be kidding me. The tech bypassed the protector and spliced the incoming wires right to the house wiring. AKA your NID is useless.
Call at&t and demand they get someone out who knows what they are doing!

medbuyer

said by jeffmoss26:

You have to be kidding me. The tech bypassed the protector and spliced the incoming wires right to the house wiring. AKA your NID is useless.
Call at&t and demand they get someone out who knows what they are doing!

+1

didn't even realized that...

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to jeffmoss26
said by jeffmoss26:

The tech bypassed the protector and spliced the incoming wires right to the house wiring.

Not only did the tech not fix your problem he created a safety hazard by bypassing the protector. The job of the protector is to clamp excessive voltage to ground.

As others have posted call and complain.

/tom

Gigabyte2004

Morganton, NC
reply to Gigabyte2004
I'll give them a call when I get off work tonight. He mentioned something
about there not being a NID for that splitter. Guess he was full of crap
telling me that too. Maybe I will get somebody to come tomorrow that knows
what he's doing.
If I have to watch him, I may as well do it myself. Lol

medbuyer

said by Gigabyte2004:

about there not being a NID for that splitter. Guess he was full of crap
telling me that too. Maybe I will get somebody to come tomorrow that knows
what he's doing.
If I have to watch him, I may as well do it myself. Lol

Print the picture I posted and tell him "I want the exact same setup or similar"!

With the NID, telco can or might blame you for anything that might happen if you do any work to it that's not approved by them.

Anything beyond that or as soon as the wire goes inside, then you can do whatever you want...

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to Gigabyte2004
said by Gigabyte2004:

about there not being a NID for that splitter.

Well if the Telco stocks that type of splitter one would have to assume (I know what they say about assume) they also stock the NID it plugs into.

He is correct about it not fitting your NID. Yours has an old style carbon block protector. They tend to get noisy over the years. Modern NIDs use hermetically sealed gas tube protectors.

Since the tech removed the Carbon Block protector be interesting to grab modem specs to see if the sync rate is better without the protector.

/tom

jeffmoss26

Beachwood, OH
reply to Gigabyte2004
I am not sure why the guy did not just remove everything and install a proper, new NID...
Not a complicated task.

Gigabyte2004

Morganton, NC
reply to Gigabyte2004
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps) 3008
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps) 509

medbuyer

said by Gigabyte2004:

Downstream Sync Rate (kbps) 3008
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps) 509

better sync rates indicate that the wiring done at the NID was fubar all along...though stability may still be an issue...

now if you can only tell them to install a new NID with a splitter inside, that sync rate will be a lot more stable and be able to bring that stable signal inside so no more phone noise and very stable dsl signal...

Gigabyte2004

Morganton, NC

1 edit
reply to Gigabyte2004
I have another tech coming tomorrow. I told them what I expected and if
it's not done right, I'll keep calling until it is. I hope all their techs are not as lazy as the last one.

sneakaround

join:2001-06-19
Staten Island, NY
It is hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like your drop wire is an old neoprene that is less than ideal for DSL service. Newer drop wires actually have some twist to them.

jeffmoss26

Beachwood, OH
reply to Gigabyte2004
Post some pics of whatever the latest guy decides to do!

Gigabyte2004

Morganton, NC
reply to Gigabyte2004
I will post pics after he's done.

Gigabyte2004

Morganton, NC
Well,its 530 and no tech yet. He's got 2.5 hrs to get here.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to Gigabyte2004
I think you can also call the PUC.

Gigabyte2004

Morganton, NC
reply to Gigabyte2004
Ok guys,here's the update.

I spent the last 45 mins with the ATT guy explaining to him about what I wanted and the issues with the NID wiring. He agreed that the wiring was WRONG. REALLY!

He said the problem is ATT keeps sending out a repair TECH(which he was,it was actually a good thing,I'll explain in a minute) and not a service tech who has the correct NID and the DSL splitter on his truck.I actually watched him schedule an appointment for tomorrow morning for the guy to put in a new NID and splitter and to replace my wire.Wasn't expecting the wire part.Don't know which wire though.

Now back to it being a good thing they sent him.He told me that I was getting line errors on my line due to a bad splice. He said that the line is on a bridge tap that goes absolutely nowhere taking my bandwidth.Good to know that I'm paying for DSL that feeds into nowhere.Hmmm,wonder why the others didn't notice or mention this. That would explain why my speeds jump all over the place I guess. I guess that would explain the noise on my lines at times.

He also mentioned that most new Uverse customer get a new NID installed without even requesting it. I guess I wasn't part of that most group.

Anyways,we will see what happens while I am at work tomorrow.Would be nice if he shows up before I have to leave for work.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

1 edit
said by Gigabyte2004:

Anyways,we will see what happens while I am at work tomorrow.

Sounds like you are making progress.

Bridged taps are very common. The circuit going down the road that your drop is tapped off of may continue thousands of feet. The extra conductor length has minimal effect on voice but represents extra circuit length and causes reflections on DSL. Normally bridged taps are not removed on residential service due to the cost of a truck roll. Nice you are getting that done as well as a new NID and splitter.

Let us know how things turn out tomorrow.

/tom
fixed typos

Gigabyte2004

Morganton, NC
reply to Gigabyte2004
This guy seemed to actually know what he was doing and talking about. He was the one that mentioned the bridge tap.He could have just kept quiet about it. As for progress,I hope so.

I'll update after I get home from work tomorrow.

shdesigns