All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Gigabyte2004
join:2004-09-12
Morganton, NC

Gigabyte2004

Re: Cat5/Cat6...... Phone/DSL install

So a POTS splitter would allow me to have a dedicated line to the DSL and then be able to branch off of it for phone? Links to what I should be using?

I say crawlspace,but there is more than enough room to get to it if needed.As for it getting wet,that won't be a problem.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Gigabyte2004:

So a POTS splitter would allow me to have a dedicated line to the DSL and then be able to branch off of it for phone?

If I am not mistaken, a POTS splitter is just a DSL line filter, but at the NID, so all the phones on the voice side of the splitter are filtered at the NID (instead of having a filter for every phone).

So you need two wires at the POTS splitter.

If the noise issue happens when someone is using the phone (voice) then you probably have a filter problem.

What I would do is put a POTS splitter at the nid, put the existing house wiring on the voice side and run a new CAT5/CAT6 line from the data side of the splitter to the room with DSL. You'd only need to run one new wire to one room.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Splitter vs inline filter
said by alkizmo:

If I am not mistaken, a POTS splitter is just a DSL line filter, but at the NID, so all the phones on the voice side of the splitter are filtered at the NID

True a whole house splitter eliminates the need to put an inline filter at each non-DSL device. But depending on the specific device there are some other benefits.

Whole house splitter may be a multistage passive filter vs the single stage used for inline filters. A multstage filter does a better job isolating Voice from DSL. I use a Siecor/Corning splitter as a plus it includes a half-ringer test circuit after the filter. This allows the one in the NID to be removed. ADSL was designed to work in the presence of a half-ringer but if your signal is marginal every little bit helps. The splitter also has built in secondary over voltage protection.

I think Tii Network Tech is making it now.
»tiinetworktechnologies.c ··· 1211.pdf

Regardless of what you install it is always a good idea to plug your DSL modem directly into the NID test jack and compare stats with modem at its normal location. That will tell you if inside wiring is degrading performance. Whole house splitter does a better job of isolating voice from DSL but there are some impairments it cannot correct.

As Jack_in_VA See Profile posted it is always a good idea to perform another test. Plug a phone directly into the test jack. If you hear static, especially when phone is first picked up or crosstalk, other voices call voice repair.

/tom