Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan

Re: This Is Why We Need Pay Phones

said by LazMan:

There wasn't exactly a generator per CO - what they did, and what the plans still call for - is truck and trailer mounted generators to go site to site, recharge the batteries, and then relocate... Wash, rinse, and repeat. Also, as utility providers, they have priority access to fuel; as well as having contracts in place with providers and local, regional, and national levels.

They also brought in generators from other territories (during the blackout in '03 - my company flew or drove/towed generators from other regions into Ontario) for coverage.

reminds me of CAT Rental Power (one of our clients)...handy units...you can set up a small "field" of these units (the fixed ones can even run on NG or possibly Methane too) to create a quick "power station" often to supply areas off the beaten path where running permanent fixed line systems are either not possible or prohibitively expensive.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

reminds me of CAT Rental Power (one of our clients)...handy units...you can set up a small "field" of these units (the fixed ones can even run on NG or possibly Methane too) to create a quick "power station" often to supply areas off the beaten path where running permanent fixed line systems are either not possible or prohibitively expensive.

After the 1998 Ice Storm I heard stories of diesel locomotives pulling up to sidings and power being drawn from them to supply farming operations and other emergency services until the regular hydro lines were replaced.

Speaking of ham radio, I got my ticket in 1999 and while not a regular user I have a fully operational HF/VHF/UHF station at home.

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers

Anon

said by mr weather:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

After the 1998 Ice Storm I heard stories of diesel locomotives pulling up to sidings and power being drawn from them to supply farming operations and other emergency services until the regular hydro lines were replaced.

Speaking of ham radio, I got my ticket in 1999 and while not a regular user I have a fully operational HF/VHF/UHF station at home.

I take your sidings and raise you trains parked on the streets.

Pic #1: The loco that CN lent to the city to supply power during the ice storm crisis that lasted 6-7 days in January 98 being put back on the track.She had been moved about 500 ft from the crossing.

During the winter of 1998, a severe ice storm cut off power to many homes and businesses in Ontario and Quebec. CN M-420 3502 was hoisted off the rails by crane and rolled along a street in Boucherville QC in order to provide power in the community. The engine was driven approximately 1,000 feet (305 m) under its own power to the city hall, where it then became a portable power generator.[4] M-420 3508 was also lifted from the tracks to provide power to a school being used as a shelter, but problems prevented this from happening, and 3508 remained on standby. Both engines suffered minor gear case damage and carved grooves in the pavement.

I have the ice storm book so I remember seeing the pictures and just found them on google.