spc
Search similar:

uniqs
brianjmc1971
join:2003-01-22
Old Bridge, NJ

brianjmc1971

Hurricane damage to office, need static IP

My office was destroyed during Hurricane Sandy's visit. We had Ultra business. I have residential Ultra at home. I moved my exchange server(and all my other servers to my home). I reconfigured everything on my side and our email is working fine, EXCEPT due to getting a DHCP ip address we are now listed on a couple of spam blockers and our mail is not getting though to some of our clients. here's my question,

How can I set my global wan domain mail.xyzcompany.com to a static IP and then pass all traffic to my DHCP WAN IP at my house?

Is this even possible? My ISP cannot give me a static IP at home till next week...

Thanks for any help, I'm really desperate.
Brian

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01

As a quick fix, you could use dynamic DNS if your router supports it. It's a free service, and works pretty well. (the paid version is cheap too, and offers a lot of options)
»dyn.com/dns

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater

MVM

said by cablegeek01:

As a quick fix, you could use dynamic DNS if your router supports it. It's a free service, and works pretty well. (the paid version is cheap too, and offers a lot of options)
»dyn.com/dns

That does not solve his e-mail issue. If his IP is dynamic his mail server will be rejected by most other mail servers, DNS doesn't matter.

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01

said by Napsterbater:

said by cablegeek01:

»dyn.com/dns

That does not solve his e-mail issue. If his IP is dynamic his mail server will be rejected by most other mail servers, DNS doesn't matter.

Hmmm, more coffee may be needed here....I'm thinking some sort of proxy, but odds are, anything you'd find online may already be blocked as spam too....
brianjmc1971
Old Bridge, NJ

brianjmc1971

yes, I need a wan static IP address that I can assign to my mail mx record and then forward all traffic back to my DHCP IP WAN address. I don't even know if its possible...

Thanks for replies!
Brian
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink to brianjmc1971

to brianjmc1971
Sorry for your loss—hope you recover quickly. Regarding your email, you’ll need to set your DNS MX records to a third party and have that third party relay the mail to you—you’ll also want this third party to allow you to relay outbound email through them as well. Postini is one of the major providers that provide this service, amongst other services, but there are many others that do this as well.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Outbound is what he needs fixed. Only idiots check the destination IP (i.e. where they are sending the message), and you shouldn't be doing business with those clowns.

This is called a "smarthost" in the sendmail world. You should be able to relay through the ISP's mail server, but they may not be willing to accept your domain. You could also use Google, but there are volume/rate limits for non-business accounts.

[Edit: Also, if your office internet was via cablemodem, have you tried plugging that cablemodem in at your house? assuming it wasn't washed into the atlantic.]
brianjmc1971
Old Bridge, NJ

brianjmc1971

Already confirmed, If I move the modem to my house, it will work for a little while - then a flag with deactivate it. this is to prevent customers from moving equipment.
Thanks,
Brian
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

Have you tried to explain to the nuts at the cable company *why* the modem is moved?
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink to cramer

to cramer
said by cramer:

Outbound is what he needs fixed.

I concur with this. That said, I don’t know how often his dynamic IP changes, but, when it does, he will not be able to receive mail until the MX/A record is updated to reflect this and cached TTLs expire.
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to brianjmc1971

to brianjmc1971
said by brianjmc1971:

My office was destroyed during Hurricane Sandy's visit. We had Ultra business. I have residential Ultra at home. I moved my exchange server(and all my other servers to my home). I reconfigured everything on my side and our email is working fine, EXCEPT due to getting a DHCP ip address we are now listed on a couple of spam blockers and our mail is not getting though to some of our clients. here's my question,

How can I set my global wan domain mail.xyzcompany.com to a static IP and then pass all traffic to my DHCP WAN IP at my house?

Is this even possible? My ISP cannot give me a static IP at home till next week...

Brian

Use SMTP.com or another paid smtp service as your outgoing server via smart host. It might cost you a few bucks, but if you need it....

Another option is to find someone who would be willing to share their static with you and allow you to use them as a smarthost.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns

Premium Member

said by H_T_R_N:

said by brianjmc1971:

Brian

Use SMTP.com or another paid smtp service as your outgoing server via smart host. It might cost you a few bucks, but if you need it....

Another option is to find someone who would be willing to share their static with you and allow you to use them as a smarthost.

this can be setup in a few minutes and will solve your issue.

there are a few other ones, let me check my email to see what i used in the past (recommended to me from this forum).
tomdlgns

1 edit

tomdlgns

Premium Member

this is the service i used and it worked great (i used it with exchange 2010 setup on a VM coming from a residential internet connection).

used this for a relay/smarthost
»www.dnsexit.com/Direct.s ··· ailRelay

used this for getting around the port 25 issue.
www.dnsmadeeasy.com

Mail server forwarding allows you to designate a destination mail server and port for a domain. Mail sent to your domain will be forwarded to the configured destination server and port.
brianjmc1971
Old Bridge, NJ

brianjmc1971

Thanks for all the help. I have 90% of emails going through and users setup dummy gmail accounts for the other 10%. I have an appointment on monday for my rool to be switched to a bool and then I can fix everything.
Thanks again,
brian
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns

Premium Member

what is a rool and bool?
brianjmc1971
Old Bridge, NJ

brianjmc1971

residential optimum online, business optimum online....