share rss forum feed

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to cowboyro

Re: Concrete cracks -Revisited

Thanks. Figured as much.

Should I even then bother undercutting it before I fill it?

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

said by Hahausuck:

Should I even then bother undercutting it before I fill it?

Definitely won't hurt. If you have an angle grinder with a concrete cutting wheel it shouldn't be a big issue. Just wear a dust mask and goggles...

Hahausuck
Premium

Alright.

I know someone mentioned using the cutting wheel to me in another thread and how to keep the thing wet. How critical is that? Could the wheel be run dry?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

No. The blade will wear down too fast and you are making the dust problem far worse (it is easier dealing with the mud puddles then widespread concrete dust).

When I rent a concrete saw here they measure the blade diameter and fees are based on how much the blade is worn down (a big incentive to keep the blade cooled with water).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Hahausuck
Premium

OK sounds good.

I guess the time has come to spring for an air compressor. Thanks. I'll report back later.

eagleknight

join:2002-11-08
Troy, OH
reply to leibold

Might be worth it to pick up an angle grinder. You can get a diamond blade for around $20 at Lowes or Menards. They cut like butter compared to the masonry wheels. You can run them without water.

Hahausuck
Premium

I know there are grinder wheels that are meant for dry use but I just can't see using them for any long duration. They'd have to wear faster than a wet wheel.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to eagleknight

That's what I would use -- diamond blade dry.

edit -- Diamond wheels last a long time, even dry. No need for an air compressor either. Cheap electric grinder works well for this.

Hahausuck
Premium

Thanks Robbin.

Looks like a Harbor Freight trip for a grinder is in order.

averagedude

join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

decorative coating
Once you have all the concrete filled...
Have you thought about decorative concrete coatings like the attached picture (that I borrowed from Google search images).

Even a garage epoxy style coating will cover up the repairs.

Hahausuck
Premium
reply to robbin

Grabbed a grinder that was on sale at Harbor Freight and a wheel at home d. Last night I did some research on materials and I found Quickrete has a resurfacing product with polymer in it that can be used for repair and resurface. Grabbed a bag of it at lowes.

My plan is to undercut the crack, and then rinse it out. Mix up the concrete repair as per label for a mortar mix and fill the crack then top it and brush the finish to help blend it.

I know it's not the be all end all fix as some day I'll have to replace the slab.
--
"Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth. Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar."
J.E.H.