uniqs
share rss forum feed

brawney
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Frederick, MD
kudos:1

IP Phone

I wanted to tinker with using an IP phone with my SIP provider. I have a PAP2 ATA and it works OK, but I'm always looking for new things to try.

I could just pick up an inexpensive Polycom IP phone from eBay, but before I did that I wanted to know if there are any IP phones that also have a POTS connection? Meaning: I would like to connect line 1 to POTS and line 2 would be setup to use VOIP.

Hope this question is clear. Any ideas?

Example: line 1 is the POTS 'home' phone and I also have a VOIP setup for my 'business' phone line. Would like to use the same desktop set for both lines. Of course with the ATA this is possible by using a standard 2-line analog desk phone.

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:21

1 edit

I'm not aware of any dual-mode desk sets.

Some high-end Polycom conference phones have both IP and POTS, but they are expensive and have no easy way to use with a handset or headset. »www.polycom.com/content/dam/poly···enus.pdf .

Gigaset IP phones can also connect to POTS; they are DECT cordless systems. »www.amazon.com/Solution-Accounts···4SBDQMG/ The older A580 IP is often available used at a low price.

I have two setups with IP phones and POTS. At one location, Polycom IP desk phones access a pseudo-POTS line (ISP's voice over fiber) via an Obihai OBi110. At another, Aastra IP desk phones access a POTS line via a Linksys SPA3102. Although this access works even when the Internet connection is down, it still depends on various LAN components, so we keep an analog corded phone connected to POTS, in case of emergency.

brawney
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Frederick, MD
kudos:1

Thanks for this info. The $100 price range is in my budget. It looks like these hybrid phones may have their own set of quirks though (after reading the reviews).

But now I know what to look for. Thanks!

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to brawney

The gigasets have an analog port to connect to the POTS.

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX

1 edit
reply to brawney

Long ago the Zultys 4x5 had a POTS connection. It was designed as a SIP phone for the home office call center worker or travel agent. It had a built-in 4 port switch, router and POTS for fail-over to the PSTN.

The older Zultys 4x4 was similar but lacked the POTS connection. Bother models were based upon Linux.

I had a 4x5 for a while. They were nice but kind goofy. Not in the same class as a decent Polycom.

Somewhere back in my past I had several analog lines coming into my home office. For a period I call forwarded those lines to IP-based DID's. When after many months I found the IP-based lines to be robust I ported the numbers away from SBC and never looked back.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

I keep the old Zultys 4x5 too. How to update its firmware? Do you have any link? Or may be you know some third party or modified firmware for this phone?
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to brawney

It's not a desktop but many people like it and it does go both ways:

Gigaset C610A-IP for $ 112 including shipping
»www.amazon.com/Solution-Accounts···04SBDQMG

(With Gigaset, always make sure it says [IP] at the end. Some people forget the importance of IP at the end.)

borntochill

join:2003-02-09
united state

said by PX Eliezer7:

It's not a desktop but many people like it and it does go both ways:

Gigaset C610A-IP for $ 112 including shipping
»www.amazon.com/Solution-Accounts···04SBDQMG

(With Gigaset, always make sure it says [IP] at the end. Some people forget the importance of IP at the end.)

I'll second the C610A-IP. Several of the quirks reported on this forum with that phone have been corrected thanks to a conscientious Gigaset employee who listened and took action. I should know because I started what would become an epic forum thread about an issue with this model which was fixed. If you want a phone that accepts a POTS line in addition to multiple SIP service providers, AFAIK this one has no competitor in its price range.

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
reply to OZO

said by OZO:

I keep the old Zultys 4x5 too. How to update its firmware? Do you have any link? Or may be you know some third party or modified firmware for this phone?

I said I had one for a while. I sold it on Ebay long ago. It's not been made for a long while. Even the reorg'd Zultys doesn't support it any longer.