Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to brianjmc1971

Re: Hurricane damage to office, need static IP

Sorry for your loss—hope you recover quickly. Regarding your email, you’ll need to set your DNS MX records to a third party and have that third party relay the mail to you—you’ll also want this third party to allow you to relay outbound email through them as well. Postini is one of the major providers that provide this service, amongst other services, but there are many others that do this as well.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
Outbound is what he needs fixed. Only idiots check the destination IP (i.e. where they are sending the message), and you shouldn't be doing business with those clowns.

This is called a "smarthost" in the sendmail world. You should be able to relay through the ISP's mail server, but they may not be willing to accept your domain. You could also use Google, but there are volume/rate limits for non-business accounts.

[Edit: Also, if your office internet was via cablemodem, have you tried plugging that cablemodem in at your house? assuming it wasn't washed into the atlantic.]

brianjmc1971

join:2003-01-22
Old Bridge, NJ
Already confirmed, If I move the modem to my house, it will work for a little while - then a flag with deactivate it. this is to prevent customers from moving equipment.
Thanks,
Brian

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
Have you tried to explain to the nuts at the cable company *why* the modem is moved?

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to cramer
said by cramer:

Outbound is what he needs fixed.

I concur with this. That said, I don’t know how often his dynamic IP changes, but, when it does, he will not be able to receive mail until the MX/A record is updated to reflect this and cached TTLs expire.