MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

House being reshingled...

Click for full size
Starting today.... Took a pic of my attic - first time I could really see in attic with good light.

I believe I have mentioned before in this forum - I hate my attic with a passion. Understand the black asphalt is from them taking off the shingles - 3 layers unfortunately.

1x4 roof which makes it harder to get the nails out and rains crap in the attic. I emptied part of it out with our belongings but it is going to take a while to clean up what is there and will fall in as they finish the other side. They have has to replace some 1x4's but so far - no major structure damage.

The rest of the attic is how it was when we bought the house. We didn't add anything in it. A bit further to the right, that did not get in the picture, is the bundle of cellulose sitting in between the rafters on the cellulose...

I need save up money (or get some FU money) and clean out the entire attic, do some electrical/vent/air runs work, and then put in batts of fiberglass.
averagedude
join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA

averagedude

Are you kidding me???

That is a beautiful attic.
It is open and unobstructed.

I would trade mine for yours in a heartbeat.
Mine has the criss cross "W" style supports that make it nearly impossible to get in and do any work at all.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by averagedude:

Mine has the criss cross "W" style supports that make it nearly impossible to get in and do any work at all.

Same here.

I had a BAD time trying to get the batts on the edges because of the struts. You gotta walk on the joists, but the path of the joists is cut off by the struts, so you gotta make a HUGE step with your left foot on the left joist, and the right foot stepping past the strut, onto the right joist. The lowering roof height doesn't help.

WEAR A HARD HAT! Those damn shingle nails sticking out everywhere waiting to stab you in the skull are treacherous.

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

Jtmo to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
A bit messy with all the wires and crap?
You are in Illinois?
Wood shingles I take it or clay tile?
It appears to be the same on the far gable as I can see daylight?

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Ohio - asphalt shingles coming off and going on. Daylight is coming thru the small gaps in the 1x4s.
CylonRed

CylonRed to averagedude

MVM

to averagedude
Very difficult to even know where you can step without going thru the ceiling due to the craptastic cellulose and then the haphazard batts that were put down on some of the cellulose.

The wire is from the sat install. The top part of the air handler is closest in the pic and it is a mess of duct tape and piled insulation.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369

Premium Member

Anytime I've needed to venture into the catacombs known as my attic I've just used two boards. Climb on one move the other forward repeat. It is an awful experience.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Provided you can see where yo put them. Maybe the time to clean out the attic of all fo the crap while cleaning it up. Sucks the light won't be as good though....

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to hitachi369

to hitachi369
said by hitachi369:

Anytime I've needed to venture into the catacombs known as my attic I've just used two boards. Climb on one move the other forward repeat. It is an awful experience.

Yeah, but good luck getting any decently large boards through the access hatch.

My hatch is no more than 2 feet wide.

But I agree that it's an aweful experience.
I insulated my attic over a 2 months period because I HATED going up there. I'd go 2 hours every other weekend.
averagedude
join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA

averagedude

said by alkizmo:

said by hitachi369:

Yeah, but good luck getting any decently large boards through the access hatch.

My hatch is no more than 2 feet wide.

But I agree that it's an aweful experience.
I insulated my attic over a 2 months period because I HATED going up there. I'd go 2 hours every other weekend.

What I did on my previous house was to install "plywood stepping stones" in the attic. I took the stepping stone approach because numerous electrical boxes and W bracing didn't allow a direct access or long boards to be installed.

I went to Home Depot and had them cut down a 3/4"x4'x8' sheet of ply wood in to 24"x24" pieces. The 24"x24 boards match my rafter spacing. I nailed the boards down so they didn't move. It was not pretty, but it was safer.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
I miss the attic in the home I grow up in.
It was like the ones shown in Horror movies. Wood floors, tall enough ceiling so you could walk up right down the middle. Only had to slouch as you need the eves.
Back in the say [the 1600's] the attic was used to store dry goods. Stuff like grain, while the Barn was being built.
Right below the attic was the "Big Chamber". They'd hold local meetings there.

Sadly the ancestral home is no longer in my family.

Ahh well. Now the attic we have is like yours, except darker, as we still have a roof on.
Though in a few years we'll need to replace it.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Shingles have been going on for the last 30 or so minutes...

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to averagedude

to averagedude
said by averagedude:

I went to Home Depot and had them cut down a 3/4"x4'x8' sheet of ply wood in to 24"x24" pieces. The 24"x24 boards match my rafter spacing. I nailed the boards down so they didn't move. It was not pretty, but it was safer.

No can do.

I have about 15" of insulation, the joists are only 2x4 (or 2x6, i forget).

Jtmo
Premium Member
Novato, CA

Jtmo to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
Shingle reveal on the ends should be about 3/4", some installers stop at the roofline. Are they using standard paper or a custom system like GAF weather watch?

Just finished up a 2 year $900K job this summer, 2 more going on today and met the contractors for a gutter redesign this morning.
We used the weather watch and 30lb paper.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

900k roof job?!

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to Jtmo

MVM

to Jtmo
They are using a rubberized underlayment - on the eves (36" above the gutter - and valleys and paper elsewhere. Pretty much standard for Ohio as far as I know.

Jtmo
Premium Member
Novato, CA

Jtmo

Premium Member

Certainteed and GAF both have the 'weatherwatch' style underlayment for the valleys and starter. Of course, you could just use paper, but the new systems are nice and easy to apply.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to averagedude

to averagedude
said by averagedude:

I would trade mine for yours in a heartbeat.

Must be nice to even have an attic. Someone added a low dormer across the second floor and virtually negated mine.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to CylonRed

to CylonRed

Kind of a weird jog in the roof peak line going there?

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

It is done - they are finishing up the flashing and looks like they already went thru the bushes and flower beds to cleanup. Even swept out the garage...
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

Swept the garage and the back porch. Cleaner than when they started the job.

Will post a picture of the finished product if the pictures came out...
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

Click for full size
Click for full size
Pictures done the same day it was completed - shingles are now laying down a lot better.
CylonRed

CylonRed to mattmag

MVM

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

Kind of a weird jog in the roof peak line going there?

I believe the area you are referring to is the top right of the picture? I believe that is the valley that runs just to the side of the chimney.

We wound up spending all last weekend cleaning out the attic and getting rid of 5 bags of toys, 4 plastic boxes of books and teaching books, and some of the other crap out of the attic. Vacuumed out the attics for the areas I could reach.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

I think I see how it runs now. Looked like the peak didn't keep going straight..

Shingles look very nice!