cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Archivis

Re: Educate me on Radon

My house had a 1.1pCi/L when tested... and yet the Geiger counter goes crazy near the air filter. Actually I caught this by accident, wanted to see if the granite countertops emitted any significant radiation (they didn't), but in a certain area of the kitchen the levels were just a bit higher. After investigating in the basement I noticed that the levels were higher near the air handler... the "hot" area of the kitchen was above the air handler.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAbzfGT-xfs

MaynardKrebs
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

said by cowboyro:

My house had a 1.1pCi/L when tested... and yet the Geiger counter goes crazy near the air filter. Actually I caught this by accident, wanted to see if the granite countertops emitted any significant radiation (they didn't), but in a certain area of the kitchen the levels were just a bit higher. After investigating in the basement I noticed that the levels were higher near the air handler... the "hot" area of the kitchen was above the air handler.

Are you downwind from a nuclear reactor, submarine base, or nuclear fuel processing facility?

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by MaynardKrebs:

Are you downwind from a nuclear reactor, submarine base, or nuclear fuel processing facility?

No. The amount of time it takes to reduce the radioactivity levels is consistent with the half-life of the decay products of Radon.