Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

robertc
Premium
join:2009-05-11
Pasadena, CA

which DSL modems can be used

I have sonic DSL with a Zoom bridge modem from 2006.
If I want to replace it, can I only use the modems on the Support page table? Or can any old DSL modem work?

I went to Best Buy and they had mostly Netgear modems which are not on that table. They did have an Actiontec which was close to one of the ones on the table.

Is it better to have Sonic mail me a modem? I could do that but I'd rather just go to the store if possible.

Thanks

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

Any old DSL is not specific enough since there are so many variants of DSL out there that would not be compatible.

For legacy DSL any ADSL modem should work (but you may want to future proof your purchase with an ADSL2+ capable modem).
For single line Fusion you would need a modem that supports ADSL2+.
For bonded (dual line) Fusion you would need a modem that supports the bonding of two ADLS2+ lines which you are unlikely to find in a retail store.

The advantage of getting Sonic to provide you with the modem is that they will take care of it when it needs to be updated or replaced. It also makes troubleshooting easier for their support staff (which will get you up and running faster). The downside is the monthly modem fee instead of the one-time purchase price of a modem.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

robertc
Premium
Pasadena, CA
reply to robertc
Support wrote back and they said the one they recommend the most is the Pace 411, but it can be any modem that has DHCP and not PPPOE.

Don't most DSL modems have DHCP and not PPPOE? That's the trend.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

said by robertc:

it can be any modem that has DHCP and not PPPOE.

That statement makes no sense. DHCP is not and never has been an alternative to PPPoE. Even with PPPoE, a dynamic IP address is still being obtained using DHCP.

The only aspect of the statement that is correct is that you do not need PPPoE with Sonic.net (which is a good thing: less overhead). This can be an issue with some DSL modems that have custom firmware for a specific ISP where the user cannot change the configuration of the DSL modem (something to watch out for when buying used modems). With a retail DSL modem you will be able to turn off PPPoE.

The model number for the recommended modem is wrong too. It should be Pace 4111N.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

robertc
Premium
Pasadena, CA
What I meant to say was "capable of using DHCP without PPPOE"

Why does the Pace 411N modem have an ATT symbol on it?

klui

join:2001-11-08
Castro Valley, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

said by robertc:

Why does the Pace 411N modem have an ATT symbol on it?

You're looking at the wrong one.

»wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Pace_4111N

This one has Sonic-specific firmware.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to robertc
You can just get a Sonic.net Pace 4111N added to your service, for $6.50 per month:

»sonic.net/solutions/home/interne···quipment

Up-sides include ongoing upgrades and support integration, lifetime advanced replacement at no cost, support for new features like IPv6, etc.