uniqs
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

elefante72 to PhoenixAZ

to PhoenixAZ

Re: Verizon thought...

Now remove the bloat and give us a pure android experience and timely updates. That would be value add.

Interestingly if they used the channel for real value apps and optional, they would have had more traction. They could have provided a "malware" service for Google Play. Imagine that. I'd pay.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by elefante72:

Now remove the bloat and give us a pure android experience and timely updates. That would be value add.

Ok they'll remove it and your $200 Galaxy SIII would be $300. Is that worth it to you? Companies make money by installing bloatware they aren't going to remove and not get that money back somehow. So be careful what you wish for.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

1 recommendation

SimbaSeven

said by 88615298:

Ok they'll remove it and your $200 Galaxy SIII would be $300. Is that worth it to you? Companies make money by installing bloatware they aren't going to remove and not get that money back somehow. So be careful what you wish for.

You're already spending $200+(CostofServiceperMonth*24) anyway.

..which would be around $2500-3000 for 2 years.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by SimbaSeven:

said by 88615298:

You're already spending $200+(CostofServiceperMonth*24) anyway.

..which would be around $2500-3000 for 2 years.

How does paying for your monthly service have to do with anything? When you buy a car you still have to pay for gas.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

rradina to 88615298

to 88615298
Really? I've purchased two i-Devices and I don't recall ANY bloatware being installed. Are you suggesting carriers just lose more money with the i-Products?
jauman
join:2001-12-06
Kent, WA

1 recommendation

jauman to 88615298

to 88615298
Since the total cost of the contract is now $2700 vs $2600 (contrived $100/mo plan as basis), the percentage increase is ~4% over the life of that contract.

Since folks will enjoy that difference (unbranded) over that time, that's why the longer-term analysis resonates more with some of us.

The upfront device cost is but one component of the overall, and I, like apparently Simba7, consider the total cost more than the isolated device price.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by jauman:

Since the total cost of the contract is now $2700 vs $2600 (contrived $100/mo plan as basis), the percentage increase is ~4% over the life of that contract.

Since folks will enjoy that difference (unbranded) over that time, that's why the longer-term analysis resonates more with some of us.

The upfront device cost is but one component of the overall, and I, like apparently Simba7, consider the total cost more than the isolated device price.

I'm not sure what language all that gibberish was. The fact is If pressured to remove bloatware companies will find ways to make that revenue back somewhere else. To think otherwise is being both naïve and obtuse. I'm not sure why anyone would argue that.

88615298 (banned) to rradina

to rradina
said by rradina:

Really? I've purchased two i-Devices and I don't recall ANY bloatware being installed. Are you suggesting carriers just lose more money with the i-Products?

yes they do. In fact most of Sprint current financial problems stem from the iPhone.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

itguy05

said by 88615298:

said by rradina:

yes they do. In fact most of Sprint current financial problems stem from the iPhone.

Yes, not having the iPhone. The unlocked iPhone (which is free of subsidies) is roughly the same price as an unlocked high end Android device.

If the iPhone were such a bad deal for carriers, they would not carry it...

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by rradina:

Ha, their current financial problems stem from poor management and inadequate coverage.

All the iPhone did was make it obvious that their network is no where near ready to support the growth that comes with carrying an iDevice.

Nobody asked them to gamble $20 billion for 30 million phones. That was their decision, and hopefully in 2014, they see a return on their investment.

In the meantime, AT&T and VZW are seeing huge returns.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

-1 recommendation

88615298 (banned) to itguy05

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

said by 88615298:

said by rradina:

Yes, not having the iPhone. The unlocked iPhone (which is free of subsidies) is roughly the same price as an unlocked high end Android device.

If the iPhone were such a bad deal for carriers, they would not carry it...

Actually it is bad for carriers. They carry it because so many Apple cult members insist on an iphone.

U.S. carrier market could be on the hook for more than $10 billion
»gigaom.com/apple/analyst ··· bsidies/

iPhone kills carrier profits
»betanews.com/2012/06/07/ ··· profits/

Cell phone carriers will get whacked by the iPhone 5
»money.cnn.com/2012/09/12 ··· dex.html

Are iPhone subsidies destroying carriers?
»www.digitaltrends.com/mo ··· arriers/
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
Click for full size
Unlocked iPhone from Apple
Click for full size
Unlocked Nexus from Google
The carriers pay a large chunk of change to offer the iPhone, and then discount the cost to consumers. The win with the iPhone (and other devices) is locking customers in long term contracts. I suspect the margins on offering iPhones are thinner for the carriers than with Android devices.

And no, the unlocked iPhone is not roughly equivalent in price to an unlocked Android device.
rradina
Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

rradina to 88615298

to 88615298
I've had two iPhones and I certainly don't fit that description. Neither do millions of other users. The iPhone is a great device, as are Android and lately, Windows phones. Regardless, the iPhone is still considered the Cadillac of smart phones because it invented the market. Carriers want it because a lot of ordinary folks ask for it.

If the carrier is willing to sell it for a third of its cost and hope to turn a profit over the life of a two year contract, that sounds like a plan. If it isn't working, we cannot say that they went into the i-Deal with their eyes shut.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
Billings, MT
·StarLink

1 recommendation

SimbaSeven to openbox9

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

And no, the unlocked iPhone is not roughly equivalent in price to an unlocked Android device.

I think it'd be better to compare an iPhone 5 to a Samsung Galaxy SIII or Note 2. Although the Nexus4's specs are rather impressive for the price.
rradina
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to 88615298

to 88615298
What about the bloatware? I don't recall any being installed on either of my iPhones. I know there were some accusations of background things of a nefarious nature but certainly nothing in my face.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
Why? Anyway, buying an unlocked iPhone 5 in Canada (when it becomes available) will cost 700+ USD with today's exchange rate. A factory unlocked Galaxy S3 via Amazon looks to come in around $550ish.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

iPhones will always be overpriced and underspec'd. I've seen several phones that could kick the crap out of the iPhone, even before said iPhone was released.

I guess iFans don't really care about specs. They care more about the User Interface, which honestly could be dumbed down to run on anything.. even an original iPhone (if they didn't drop support for it to make you buy a new one).

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

HA! Sprints current financial problems existed long before they picked up the iphone...

anyway the braintrust that kept sprint down will soon be gone... long live softbank!
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by dib22:

said by 88615298:

HA! Sprints current financial problems existed long before they picked up the iphone...

anyway the braintrust that kept sprint down will soon be gone... long live softbank!

Kiss that unlimited data good-bye too

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by elefante72:

T-Mobile will sell the Nexus 4, and that won't have any bloatware on it.

As far as I know, none of the iPhones have any bloatware on them. At least I don't think my wife's does.

When you buy a 3G/4G tablet, does it have bloatware?

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Phoenix, AZ

PhoenixAZ

Premium Member

said by amarryat:

said by 88615298:

said by elefante72:

T-Mobile will sell the Nexus 4, and that won't have any bloatware on it.

As far as I know, none of the iPhones have any bloatware on them. At least I don't think my wife's does.

When you buy a 3G/4G tablet, does it have bloatware?

No but there is Apple bloat ware. Such as integrated twitter.