Search similar:

uniqs
Dampier
Phillip M Dampier
join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Dampier

Time Warner Boosting Standard Speed to 15Mbps

Time Warner Cable will increase the broadband speed for its most popular Standard service to 15/1Mbps across the country over the next 60 days.

With increased competition from Verizon’s FiOS fiber to the home network and AT&T U-verse, Time Warner is boosting Internet speeds to stay competitive with aggressive promotions on offer from phone companies throughout its service area.

Rob Marcus, chief operating officer for Time Warner, today told investors U-verse was available in about a quarter of the company’s footprint, with Verizon FiOS offering service in 12% of the areas where the cable company provides service.

More details on Stop the Cap!: »stopthecap.com/2012/11/0 ··· ionwide/
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

So you've got confirmation that it is indeed 15/1?
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

Radisc359 to Dampier

to Dampier
I'm at the Turbo 15/1 atm, I wonder what will happen to me? Make me pay $10 more for the same speeds as standard? :P I'll probably end up getting Ultimate when they let me order it, we have 4 bonded downstream channels here.

Nick21
join:2010-02-03
New York, NY

Nick21 to Dampier

to Dampier
I'm sure all the tiers will move up too. Just hope they make that announcement soon.

Derwood2
Wherever you go, there you are
Premium Member
join:2003-01-21
Dayton, OH

Derwood2 to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier
It would be really nice if they did that for those of us on business class.. 10/1.5 is getting really old.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier
Interesting. I just tested at 22.7 on my iPad, with standard service, which is about normal. Maybe They've been rolling this out for a while and just didn't promote it.

StevenB
Premium Member
join:2000-10-27
New York, NY

StevenB to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier
Dampier, do you know with any of your contacts, are they gonna be increasing their Ultimate tier? Cause where I live, fios is trying hard to get Building owners to do MDU installs in Astoria, Queens.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to Dampier

News Guy

to Dampier
Saw your story but didn't see a source for the information, Phillip. Was that said on the earnings call today?
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

Never mind, got it:

»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 12-11-05

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to Dampier

to Dampier
My 10/1 connection routinely tests at 12 Mbps.

It actually peaks at around 18 Mbps occasionally.

No complaints about that, but I hope that when I call to extend my $30 per month new subscriber rate, they will not give me some song-and-dance about the increased value they are providing in exchange for then charging me the rack rate.
Dampier
Phillip M Dampier
join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Dampier to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

Saw your story but didn't see a source for the information, Phillip. Was that said on the earnings call today?

It was sourced by me sitting live on their conference call this morning. One day I will hit the button and start asking Glenn my own questions about usage billing and modem fees, since Craig Moffett always love to ask his own (namely, when will you guys get around to gouging customers.)
jojoyohan
join:2007-02-19
united state

jojoyohan

I would not be upset about getting a 5mbps boost. Hopefully this does apply to all of the tiers or I may go back to the standard tier from turbo.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Derwood2

Premium Member

to Derwood2
I'll trade you the extra 5 mbps down for your extra .5 up.

Derwood2
Wherever you go, there you are
Premium Member
join:2003-01-21
Dayton, OH

Derwood2

Premium Member

Yeah well, I'd wish they'd allow business class to go with D3 so we could get 30/5 or 50/5 without paying $300 a month.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier
What is going to happen to current 15/1 tiers? Does anybody know?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612

MVM

Turbo has been going to 20/2 in many areas which is a push for a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. It might be going to 25/2 in which case I'd say get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Plenty of nodes are congested enough on certain channels out here to warrant one if you have anything more than Standard. If they're pushing Standard to 15/1 then it's even more of a reason. Two modems can saturate the channel.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier
Turbo is already 20/2 here (FiOS competition zone, although my particular neighborhood isn't served) so this is going to bring Standard pretty close to Turbo and make Turbo's extra $20/mo. premium (for a non-TV subscriber) seem a little bizarre. Interesting.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to Derwood2

Premium Member

to Derwood2
said by Derwood2:

Yeah well, I'd wish they'd allow business class to go with D3 so we could get 30/5 or 50/5 without paying $300 a month.

BC has had "wideband" for years (depending on market.) But, yes, everything "business class" is way too expensive. For the $/bit, you still cannot beat the price. [unless you're in a FiOS area. and the idiots don't sell it Frontier]
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac to Dampier

to Dampier
Will Powerboost be included in new Standard 15/1?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6
said by banditws6:

Turbo is already 20/2 here (FiOS competition zone, although my particular neighborhood isn't served) so this is going to bring Standard pretty close to Turbo and make Turbo's extra $20/mo. premium (for a non-TV subscriber) seem a little bizarre. Interesting.

In Hawaii the extra $20 a month is for those with TWC cable TV. So, in your division you pay less for 20/2 if you also have TWC cable TV? How nice.

I have Turbo GRANDFATHERED TIER at 15/1. Grandfathered tier became unavailable to new subscribers last August 1. Turbo is currently 20/2 and costs (WITH TWC CABLE TV SERVICE ALSO) $20 more per month than Standard tier at 10/1 and the old Turbo tier (now grandfathered) costs $10 a month more than Standard.

My immediate question upon reading the article is should I refuse to pay that extra $10 tomorrow when I pay my bill at Oceanic's office since we could get standard tier upgraded tomorrow, or the next day, and I don't want to pay extra for a tier that no longer exists as Turbo grandfathered but has now become Standard tier. Or will I be upgraded automatically to 20/2 as the "new" grandfathered Turbo and current Turbo gets upgraded to 25/2?

TWC persists in being the worst cable company as far as never letting anyone know anything in advance and bungling things badly thus creating messes that could have easily been avoided had there been some planning and then notification to TWC divisions and customers ahead of time about this move.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier
When I moved I was forced back to TW. First thing I did was speed test after install. Had standard installed but got 20 down. Asked the installer what package they gave me he said standard. Said for this area to standard is 20/1 and turbo is 30/2. They just don't advertise it as such.

Do to powerbost I peak at 32 down.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Powerboost is only on 10/1. Not on any above that.

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to dcurrey

Premium Member

to dcurrey
Interesting, Standard is 20/1 in your area? TWC is really all over the map.

I had Turbo test out consistently at 20/2 for a year here; I got it at a promotional rate for 12 months. After that, when I called to downgrade back to Standard, TWC tried to hide the fact that Standard even existed and wanted to give me some kind of 3/1 package, probably hoping I'd freak out and keep Turbo. When pressed, they admitted that there was a 10/1 package.

At times I've tested as high as 20/1 on Standard but I believe it's been due to PowerBoost. Typically I'd be more sure about PowerBoost's effects, but comically I only seem to notice it kick in when I'm doing speed tests and not when I'm actually downloading anything.

As a TV non-subscriber, TWC wants about $53/mo. from me for Standard and about $73/mo. for Turbo. That makes Turbo too rich for my blood...but if Standard moves to 15/1, that $53 will at least be more palatable.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey

Premium Member

Not sure why that is. Parts of city may have CinciBell fioptics but not here.

Previous address had TW and CinciBell purchased the city run cable system but TW keep it at 10/1 for standard even with CinciBell offering 20/2 for cheaper.

Have to say I miss having that CinciBell cable even the HD picture quality was better.
cablesurfer
join:2000-02-05
Thousand Oaks, CA

cablesurfer to Dampier

to Dampier
Looks like they already have pushed So. California up to 15/1 as that is what I am not testing at on the standard tier !

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

1 edit

banditws6

Premium Member

Funny, I can pull down a consistent 17 Mbps on SpeedTest.net but I can't get a regular file download from anywhere (nVidia, Microsoft, etc.) to go faster than about 250-300 KB/sec at 1 a.m. Is TWC manipulating the speed test site results or what?

Edit: Found »www.hd-trailers.net can deliver at a little over 1 MB per second.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to cablesurfer

MVM,

to cablesurfer
said by cablesurfer:

Looks like they already have pushed So. California up to 15/1 as that is what I am not testing at on the standard tier !

Getting ~30Mb/sec with Powerboost. Still ~9.7Mbps without PowerBoost, so it hasn't gone live in Los Angeles yet.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier
I went to Oceanic TWC office late this afternoon to pay my bill. I asked when the upgrade would occur and explained I didn't think I should need to pay the extra $10 for grandfathered Turbo that I have at 15/1 if the push was going to happen in the next few days.

The CSR was completely flummoxed. She is very nice but, just as I expected, she has been told NOTHING about this...not even that it is going to happen. I also asked if current Turbo will either go down by $10 or have the speed raised from 20/2 to 25/2 as the current price of $20 more than Standard is not justifiable when Standard is 15/1. She had no idea about this issue either. So, I will get a call from Oceanic management tomorrow afternoon as they seem to know nothing about this either. I was asked for links to this information which I happily gave. I said go to the front page of dslreports.com.

Why can't TWC corporate get its act together? The whole thing with the price raise disguised as modem rental should have been handled better and the divisions and customers should have gotten at LEAST a one month notice (two would be best) before it was to be implemented. Now, this speed upgrade across all divisions, to soothe the upset users and, again, the divisions are not informed and thus the CSRs are also uninformed.

If this upgrade has already been pushed for Orange RR then we probably have it in Hawaii also yet NO ONE in local management, on either side of this island, has the slightest inkling about the upgrade or when it might occur. This is bad management from TWC corporate.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6
Try a better speed test.
tragik74
join:2012-10-12
Flushing, NY

tragik74 to Dampier

to Dampier
this testmy.net is very inaccurate. it will be best use speedtest.net, try out different server in your area