Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to antdude

Re: Slower downloads during peak hours?

I don't know if you read this whole thread, but yes, definitely so.

It was actually a downgrade for us in this area. I went from a rock solid 15 megs to anything from 0.5 - 17 megs depending on which second you test.

Pings range from 45 ms to 300+ ms.

Absolute trash

As much as it pains me to say this I might have to go for ATT DSL 6.0 megs, as they are the only other provider.

I absolutely hate ATT so I'm going to hold off as long as possible.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dampier

Is anyone else noticing slower download speeds during the peak hours ever since TWC upgraded our speeds? I am noticing that. During non-peak hours, it is still fast (15 Mb/sec). I wonder this upgrade was a bad idea since everyone is hogging it! Or is it just me?

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to Dampier

Re: Time Warner Boosting Standard Speed to 15Mbps

Download is fine but upload is practically zip!

grasshopper

join:2003-04-07
Port Byron, NY
reply to Dampier

My speeds actualy dropped a bit after rebooting the modem. Our service is supposed to be 10/1 , but, I always tested higher than that.

19.1m/982 Roadrunner grasshopper See Profile @ Port Byron, NY, USA New Jersey, USA 11th 08:37 AM Roadrunner
twcny.res.rr.com

18m/979 Roadrunner grasshopper See Profile @ Port Byron, NY, USA New Jersey, USA 11th 08:46 AM Roadrunner
twcny.res.rr.com

Konaguy
Live From Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Premium
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI
reply to htfan808

said by htfan808:

Have you guys heard what will happen to the old turbo tier, the 15/1 speed? Rebooted my modem and done some speed tests, still 15/1 for me. I'm on Oahu paying the $10 extra, basically for nothing now that 15/1 is standard. There's been no notice, as far as I've seen, nothing on Oceanic's website either. Know when the upgrade for standard was done? I think I'd like some money back if I've been paying $10 for nothing... I've got one of those old webstar sumthin' DPC2100 modems..., might that be a problem?

I suggest you call up Oceanic Time Warner Cable's customer service to see if you can get a refund or credit for that additional 10.00. Oceanic increased the standard tier to 15Mbps on Oahu only sometime in November, as far as I understand.

boboinnc

join:2012-05-26
reply to mitchell

15/1 is now working in Triad area North Carolina. Power Boosts to 24/1 for now. I have heard that powerboost will be gone when I get my purchased SB6141 installed. I am just happy to finally get rid of terrible 384 kbps upload.

mitchell

join:2002-06-21
Darlington, SC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Dampier

First I want to thank you guys/gals on this forum because of this specific thread I was able to tell the Customer Service a couple of weeks ago "NO Thank You" to their suggestion that I take avantange of a special short term $5.00 upgrade from 10/1 to 15/1. I told the CS person that I've heard that the entire system will be increased very soon to 15/1 so I will NOT take this extra $5.00/mo right now.

Well...tonight at 6:15pm eastern I received notice via email from TWC that Yes!! 15/1 is available for no extra...

Edit 12/12/12 I have not seen the speed increase yet, even after a modem reset, but it could take a few days to change all the settings back in the headend...

I'm now seeing consistent 14-16/800-1.1 speeds

Edit off......

Here is the notice below...
so thanks again...you saved me $5.00/mo for the short term anyway...

Enjoy a better Internet experience on all your devices with an Internet speed increase of up to 50%.

To thank you for being a Time Warner Cable customer, we want you to have a better Internet experience on all your devices. That's why we're making your current Standard Internet download speed up to 50% faster.

With your Internet speed increase, you'll be able to:

• Download faster
• Enjoy better browsing
• Connect more of your devices
CURRENT SPEED
Up to 10/1 Mbps

NEW SPEED
Up to 15/1 Mbps*

SPEED INCREASE
50% Faster

Reset your modem now to get faster Internet.

Here's what you need to do:
1. Unplug the power cord from your modem.
2. Wait 10 seconds and then plug it back in.
3. Wait until the lights on the modem stabilize.
4. Reboot your computer.

htfan808

join:2004-11-08
Honolulu, HI
reply to Konaguy

said by Konaguy:

The president of Oceanic Time Warner Cable confirmed the standard tier has been raised to 15Mbps on Oahu. However, this speed upgrade is on hold for the neighbor islands. They have to seek permission from the DCCA-CATV division to recover additional analog spectrum to accommodate this speed increase.

Hey Konaguy...or Mele20,

Have you guys heard what will happen to the old turbo tier, the 15/1 speed? Rebooted my modem and done some speed tests, still 15/1 for me. I'm on Oahu paying the $10 extra, basically for nothing now that 15/1 is standard. There's been no notice, as far as I've seen, nothing on Oceanic's website either. Know when the upgrade for standard was done? I think I'd like some money back if I've been paying $10 for nothing... I've got one of those old webstar sumthin' DPC2100 modems..., might that be a problem?

Thanks

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to antdude

said by antdude:

It looks like I got the speed upgrades (downloading at almost 1.5 mB/sec right now for my standard Internet package).

Just went to testmy.net and got these results:

Download :: 10.1 Mbps 1.3 MB/s

This was using a 50MB file for download.

However, I'm pretty sure that there has not been an upgrade where I am. There hasn't been any internet interruption and I did manually reboot the modem a couple of days ago and did not see any change in performance or the bitrate as shown in the modem pages. I checked again tonight and it seems to be the same.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to Konaguy

said by Konaguy:

The president of Oceanic Time Warner Cable confirmed the standard tier has been raised to 15Mbps on Oahu. However, this speed upgrade is on hold for the neighbor islands. They have to seek permission from the DCCA-CATV division to recover additional analog spectrum to accommodate this speed increase.

hmm maybe Oceanic TWC will wind up offering DTA's and removing more than just public access channels to digital.

I know TWC in Texas had lawsuits over the issue and TWC wound up having to compensate school districts and city buildings in some towns to be able to reclaim from 2 to 7 analogs in systems state wide. I know I lost 6 analog public access channels.

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

1 edit
reply to Konaguy

said by Konaguy:

They upgraded Standard to 15Mbps and about a week earlier they introduced 30Mbps/50mbps tiers in my area. Everything was great until they upped those speeds, now between like 6-10pm here are my speeds: »www.speedtest.net/result/2358371255.png (Extreme 30/5) It is obvious that a router(ae1.lnclne04-mx92.neb.rr.com [76.85.221.122]) can't handle the load. The cmts and routers before that one are fine but that one adds 100ms+ ping, so I'd say its obviously the issue. Would this be what would happen in those other islands if they upped the speeds?

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to Dampier

It looks like I got the speed upgrades (downloading at almost 1.5 mB/sec right now for my standard Internet package).

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
kudos:1
reply to spdickey

Are you on Turbo plan?

DslrMark

join:2000-06-29
Lawndale, CA
reply to Dampier

Sweeeet rebooted the modem and getting the new speed.

spdickey

join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
reply to Dampier

Though the latest announcement was for the East Coast, here's what I'm getting in LA.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
reply to motoracer

said by motoracer:

I don't think it was asked yet, but will Turbo be upgraded as well? Paying $20 more for 5 Mbps doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I seem to recall the last time we had speed boosts like this, it took quite awhile (many months) before Turbo was upgraded in our area. I think the best way to send a message is downgrade service. When they see the higher standard speed cannibalizing their Turbo tier, it will get boosted.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

thorin

join:2007-11-08
Liberty, MO

1 edit
reply to motoracer

I am sure Turbo will be upgraded as well, its just a matter of when for each division. Especially with the recent changes being made to the lower tiers.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Nick21

said by Nick21:

I think I'm going to downgrade to Extreme or Turbo, paying $100 for 50/5 is a waste right now. These speed increases should be done to all tiers not just the cheapest one.

QFT. What are they thinking? They even discussed the lack of a take rate on the 50/5 tier on their earnings call.

Comcast is at 50/15 at this price point.

The only thing I can think of is that they haven't rolled out upstream bonding/added downstream channels across their footprint so they may feel like they don't have the capacity yet. We're still at 4x1 in LA.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Nick21

join:2010-02-03
New York, NY
reply to Dampier

I think I'm going to downgrade to Extreme or Turbo, paying $100 for 50/5 is a waste right now. These speed increases should be done to all tiers not just the cheapest one.

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI
reply to motoracer

Amen!!! I hope they boost the speed for the Turbo tier to 25Mbps.

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state
reply to Dampier

I don't think it was asked yet, but will Turbo be upgraded as well? Paying $20 more for 5 Mbps doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

DataRiker
Premium
reply to Konaguy

Unfortunately I don't have the time or the energy to fight with them right now.

I'm counting the days until I can switch to google fiber.

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI
reply to DataRiker

said by DataRiker:

Looks like I'm having the same experience as Konaguy had when they upgraded there, thinking about downgrading until they get their network issues fixed. This is pretty bad.

Going to google soon anyway.

Sheesh, those speeds are horrible. They're much worse than I got a year and half ago after Oceanic upgraded the speed tiers here.

link626

join:2003-10-06
los angeles
reply to DataRiker

Just got my speed bump a couple days ago.

I was just going to come here to ask, and now I see it's official.

Nice.

When it comes to internet speed, the USA is among the slowest and most expensive in the 1st world.

Since most people in my neighborhood use u-verse, I'm enjoying full 15mbit 24/7

DataRiker
Premium
reply to thorin

Yea everything looks good. During the day I get a solid 20 Meg's, come 7pm till 11 I get less than 1 meg. I don't have time to call the, at the moment, and I'm not too concerned.

thorin

join:2007-11-08
Liberty, MO
reply to DataRiker

have you looked at signal levels? called into tier 3? had anyone out? There have been a lot of upgrades in the KC area lately. If it is simply a utilization issue a D3 modem would alleviate that problem.

DataRiker
Premium

4 edits
reply to hobgoblin

said by hobgoblin:

Run traces/pings.

I'm not that worried about it. If fluctuates so much. Right now 100+ to 200+

Looks like I'm having the same experience as Konaguy had when they upgraded there, thinking about downgrading until they get their network issues fixed. This is pretty bad.

Going to google soon anyway.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10
reply to DataRiker

"I suspect my pings swing above 300 or so"

You suspect? Run traces/pings. Suspecting does not cut it.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to hobgoblin

edit: n/t

misread