share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to DataRiker

Re: Time Warner Boosting Standard Speed to 15Mbps

The change is Standard from 10/1 to 15/1 so I don't understand what change you expect as you already have 15/1. The only change for you is that when it happens for your division you need to make sure you are charged $10 a month less than what you currently pay for grandfathered Turbo at 15/1. Y ou will need to make sure that you are charged Standard tier price not grandfathered Turbo after the change.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
I don't buy that happening, no offense.

I've been with 3 different cable providers and have gone through upgrades on all.

I was never given a price decrease ( and relative package downgrade ) but always a speed increase.

In my particular area this makes even less sense, as nobody would be on their highest tier, since 15/1 is their highest tier in our townhouse community.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I don't understand. This is a FREE upgrade so why would you tolerate paying for grandfathered Turbo at 15/1 which is $10 a month more than Standard at 10/1 when the Standard tier becomes 15/1? You would go back to Standard tier price. The price for Standard tier is NOT being raised. The speed is being raised.

No one in your community can get 20/2, 30/5 or 50/5? Why is that?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
said by Mele20:

grandfathered Turbo at 15/1

Actually grandfathered Turbo is 15/1.5, so they very well may not drop the price or change the speeds and instead claim the $10 is for the extra 0.5 up.

/M

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Geez. I wish TWC would get their act together and have uniformity. In Hawaii, grandfathered Turbo is 15/1. I should know as I have it. I got it the end of July ...one day before Oceanic TWC pulled it so no new customers could get it. It is grandathered because REAL Turbo was moved from 15/1 to 20/2 on August 1 and the price changed from $10 a month more than that for Standard tier to $20 a month more than that for Standard tier. Oceanic did not want to make that move but Corporate told them they had to do it. They also had intended to allow DOCSIS 2 modems on 20/2 but Corporate told them, no, they needed to use DOCSIS 3 ones only. When I got the Turbo tier which became grandfathered the next day, I was told by the person in management who signed me up, and did the change in speed instantly as we chatted, that grandfathered Turbo was for a limited time but he did not know when grandfathered Turbo would be killed. The time appears to now be sometime before Dec 31, 2012.

TWC has uniformity when they upgrade standard tier speed for all with no price increase. This has been done already twice since I got RR in 2001 and now will be the third time. But for everything else there is no uniformity and we users really cannot compare across divisions.

But in your case, grandfathered Turbo will just disappear as it will in mine. There won't be a grandfathered Turbo at 15/1 or 15/1.5 anymore...that is unless your division has enough clout with corporate to insist they can keep 15/1.5 as Turbo grandfathered and 15/1 as the new Standard and continue charging the extra $10 for .5 better upload speed. It will be interesting to see if corporate will allow that because I think corporate is gradually moving to uniformity among the divisions whether the divisions like that or not.
--

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

No one in your community can get 20/2, 30/5 or 50/5? Why is that?

I don't know!

We have two tiers available, and I'm on the top one. I live on an apartment complex on a golf course. Some kind of deal was obviously worked out between the two.

kw0
Premium
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH
kudos:6
reply to Dampier
I had to contact TWC today and have them explain my $10 a month jump in price here in Columbus, OH.

She said my promo rate had expired, but that I should hold off on calling them to have it re-added because they'll have new promo rates after 11/15.

I don't know the legitimacy of that, but it would make sense due to the speed increase.

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state
reply to Dampier
Anything come of this speed boost?

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
It's supposed to be rolled out over the next 60 days following the announcement. I'd imagine every TWC market will implement it at their own convenience.

I'm picking up a Zoom 5341J today, after seeing Time Warner added it to their approved list. Up to 8 downstream channels for a lot less than a SB6141. I'll see if that improves my speeds. TestMy.net and VisualWare continue to indicate about a 3.3 megabit real-world downstream connection, so it could hardly be much worse.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

kw0
Premium
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH
kudos:6
said by banditws6:

It's supposed to be rolled out over the next 60 days following the announcement. I'd imagine every TWC market will implement it at their own convenience.

I'm picking up a Zoom 5341J today, after seeing Time Warner added it to their approved list. Up to 8 downstream channels for a lot less than a SB6141. I'll see if that improves my speeds. TestMy.net and VisualWare continue to indicate about a 3.3 megabit real-world downstream connection, so it could hardly be much worse.

I just got mine in the mail today. Got it on Amazon. We'll see how it works.

banditws6
Premium
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Dampier
Just activated my Zoom 5341J here in the DFW area, seeing massive speed improvement so far. VisualWare and TestMy.net tests indicate a solid and consistent 9.58 Mbps down / 969 Kbps up with 6 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels bonded. Looks like this is going to give me a much better experience than I've had for the last few months!

Big thanks to motorola870 See Profile and others for finally cluing me in to how channel bonding works and how it's useful even for those of us on the Standard tier.

Here's a screenshot of my channel status:

The only oddity I've experienced so far is that the modem randomly dropped and then reconnected once. Hopefully that will not be a trend.

Edit: I'm also getting a solid 1.2 MB/sec on that large file download test from OptimumOnline. Looking great so far.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Dampier

Current new customer offerings in LA

In LA, standard was 6/512 and Extreme was 10/1. Then they renamed it to Turbo. Then Turbo went from 10/1 to 15/2 (I won't get into the shenanigans that went on with standard). Then they added Turbo Plus at 20/2. After that they added "Extreme" 30/5 and "Wideband" 50/5. Now it looks like Turbo Plus is gone and Turbo is listed at 20/2. Looks like they dropped the [promo] price on Ultimate.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to banditws6
I just set up my new computer with Win 8 Pro and SeaMonkey (can't stand IE 10...worse than IE 8) and I am stunned at how fast web pages load. MUCH faster than on my old computer. However, my download speed is still pitiful. SeaMonkey downloaded at 250KB/sec and I am on 15/1.
--

BWX

join:2006-10-10
Elmira, NY
reply to Dampier
»www.speedtest.net/result/2314240880.png

I'm on Turbo- apparently 15/2, and that's about what I get most of the time.. Sometimes I test up to 20 or maybe even 30 or more mbps down, but I think that's just that turbo boost kicking in. The above test is one I just took.. Around 17 mbps down, 1.9 up.

So am I supposed to be getting a higher speed soon? I need to get a new Docsis 3 modem soon.. I think I have a D2 with phone service right now. Just got that postcard last week saying I have to pay like $4/ month now too..

edit- just called TWC and they said it is supposed to be 20/2 now..

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ViaTalk
reply to Dampier
Looks like this is starting to kick in locally (Rochester, NY). Here is my latest speedtest on my Standard tier, which was 10/1:

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
That's just the effect of Power Boost on the worst speed test out there. Do a Java based speed test or go to the OOL forum here and in the upper left column look for OOL speed test and do it. It is a big file from OOL's FTP server and is a large enough file that the effects of Power Boost will wear off by about 40% download...WATCH the entire download and you should have an accurate reading by around 50% but download it all as in some areas Road Runner sticks Power Boost at the END instead of the beginning of a download especially on a big download.
--

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Dampier
Do you have to reboot your modem to see the speed increase or does it happen automatically?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
You always have to reboot the modem to see a speed increase.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
Reviews:
·ViaTalk
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

That's just the effect of Power Boost on the worst speed test out there. Do a Java based speed test or go to the.....

Geez, just pointing out the speed upgrade took effect here and that was the speed test that popped up. So anyway, I did a java based speed test and it looks like this:

Never seen more than 12Mbps before, not even on the worst speed test out there with power boost.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
I have never heard of Powerboost kicking in at the end of a large download. Maybe Hob can shed some light on that.

I am curious also if TW plans on making any changes to the Turbo tier.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
"I have never heard of Powerboost kicking in at the end of a large download. Maybe Hob can shed some light on that."

No I cant, I have never heard of this either!

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
It very well could be because I have problems with my connection. There is no power boost on 15/1 (actually Sam Knows shows power boost on 15/1 to be lower than sustained speed most of the time. That's rather funny).

If you do a short speed test like speedtest.net that folks here like but I don't care for you will see the burst at the end usually. I always did when I had 10/1.
--

cousintim

join:2004-10-10
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to Dampier
I've had PowerBoost with both Comcast and now with TWC and it's always been at the beginning of the download.

After being upgraded to 15/1 a few months ago, I still get 3-4 seconds of PB.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to Dampier
All the while the Insight/RR subs TWC bought are ignored.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to Dampier
Will this happen for those on EL?

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
said by fartness:

Will this happen for those on EL?

I am on EL and I checked and I ran a speedtest and I am now getting 15/1.

Also I forgot to say make sure you powercycle your modem. Unplug it for 30 seconds then plug it back in again and wait until it syncs. That is what I had to do.

banditws6
Premium
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Dampier
Is there a list anywhere of which markets are now seeing the 15/1 upgrades? How about Dallas / North TX?

I could obviously just power-cycle the modem and see, of course, but I like validation.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
·Dish Network
Well, in the NorthEast, twc customers should seeing 15/1 upgrade »stopthecap.com/2012/11/19/time-w···s-today/
--
Curious about Sprint improved 3G and growing 4G LTE network? Then check it out at www.s4gru.com

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to Dampier
Yep, on EL, rebooted modem, took about 15 minutes for it to come back up, now I have the new speeds of 15/1 instead of 10/1. I'll take it.

dowop

join:2012-10-30
Cortland, OH
I am still at 10/1 in N.E.Ohio