hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to Racerbob

Re: Time Warner Boosting Standard Speed to 15Mbps

"I have never heard of Powerboost kicking in at the end of a large download. Maybe Hob can shed some light on that."

No I cant, I have never heard of this either!

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

It very well could be because I have problems with my connection. There is no power boost on 15/1 (actually Sam Knows shows power boost on 15/1 to be lower than sustained speed most of the time. That's rather funny).

If you do a short speed test like speedtest.net that folks here like but I don't care for you will see the burst at the end usually. I always did when I had 10/1.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

cousintim

join:2004-10-10
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to Dampier

I've had PowerBoost with both Comcast and now with TWC and it's always been at the beginning of the download.

After being upgraded to 15/1 a few months ago, I still get 3-4 seconds of PB.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to Dampier

All the while the Insight/RR subs TWC bought are ignored.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to Dampier

Will this happen for those on EL?

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

said by fartness:

Will this happen for those on EL?

I am on EL and I checked and I ran a speedtest and I am now getting 15/1.

Also I forgot to say make sure you powercycle your modem. Unplug it for 30 seconds then plug it back in again and wait until it syncs. That is what I had to do.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Dampier

Is there a list anywhere of which markets are now seeing the 15/1 upgrades? How about Dallas / North TX?

I could obviously just power-cycle the modem and see, of course, but I like validation.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
·Dish Network

Well, in the NorthEast, twc customers should seeing 15/1 upgrade »stopthecap.com/2012/11/19/time-w···s-today/
--
Curious about Sprint improved 3G and growing 4G LTE network? Then check it out at www.s4gru.com

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to Dampier

Yep, on EL, rebooted modem, took about 15 minutes for it to come back up, now I have the new speeds of 15/1 instead of 10/1. I'll take it.

dowop

join:2012-10-30
Cortland, OH

I am still at 10/1 in N.E.Ohio

dcn66100

join:2012-08-07
reply to Dampier

They have been doing a lot of work in my neighborhood opening all the time warner boxes and working on them yesterday they had 3 time warner vehicles. And like 6 people. I wonder if they are trying to prepare for the speed increase or maybe future speed increases for the extreme and ultimate users since docsis 3.0 which is available where I live can support like 300mbps and extreme is only 30mbps.

hchen42

join:1999-12-23
New York, NY
reply to Dampier

Manhattan, NYC (10016) is now 15mbps. Surprisingly though, I got some sort of boost too. I was downloading some stuff, the speed hit 40+ mbps for over 5 minutes before it drops down and stays at 15mbps.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Dampier

Hawaii will NOT be participating in this upgrade until AT LEAST END OF FIRST QUARTER NEXT YEAR. That is if Oceanic is allowed by corporate to make the decision.

CEO should not open his mouth if he doesn't have his facts straight. Oceanic does not have enough available bandwidth to do it by the end of this year. Of course, corporate could FORCE the upgrade via the RDC, located since January 2005 at Orange RR, like they did when Oceanic refused to upgrade to 5/1 in January 2005 like the rest of the franchises did. Oceanic claimed they weren't ready then either and stated that corporate could not force them to do it until they were ready which they estimated to be by end of July 2005.

Corporate responded to that defiance by ripping the RDC away from Oceanic at Mililani, Oahu and putting it at Orange RR and instructed Orange to forcibly push the upgrade which Oceanic had said they would block but with no RDC at Oceanic anymore....well the upgrade was pushed end of January 2005 and Oceanic's network ground to a complete halt about two weeks later. For 4.5 days no one in the state (including businesses) had RR connection. It was a terrible mess from then on until end of July.

I wonder if corporate will force Oceanic to upgrade us before the end of this year like the CEO's announcement stated. If so, I wonder what havoc this may wreck on the Hawaii RR network.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

"well the upgrade was pushed end of January 2005 and Oceanic's network ground to a complete halt about two weeks later. "

Why did it take two weeks?

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
reply to dcn66100

said by dcn66100:

They have been doing a lot of work in my neighborhood opening all the time warner boxes and working on them yesterday they had 3 time warner vehicles. And like 6 people. I wonder if they are trying to prepare for the speed increase or maybe future speed increases for the extreme and ultimate users since docsis 3.0 which is available where I live can support like 300mbps and extreme is only 30mbps.

Wishful thinking I am afraid. When you see this much activity and they are opening all sorts of pedestals, it is probably a service-related problem like hunting for a bad cable or ingress point for interference.

The first sign of DOCSIS 3 in your area will probably be a shrinking of your analog channel lineup, with 3-6 channels switched to digital. This is what frees up bandwidth to support the multiple data channels. A few months after that, D3 speeds usually arrive. As far as I have seen, the only speed variability out there is with D2 speeds in different markets.

For competitive reasons, or technical limitations, some markets/regions will have faster standard or turbo service than others. My guess is this has to do with how much node splitting and usage demand there is in that market, as well as what the competition is offering. If a smaller market is served with only slow speed DSL and TWC, you probably have slower speeds and waited the longest to see 10/1Mbps service. If you are in the northeast in particular, you probably have faster speeds to combat Verizon FiOS regionally.

I have not seen any markets offering anything but the traditional 30/5 and 50/5 DOCSIS 3 tiers, which suggests this is a national decision, not a regional one.

The take rate on 30/5Mbps service has been very good, but the 50/5Mbps tier has not drawn nearly as many customers, primarily because of the price.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

In an earlier conference call with investors, TWC admitted the overwhelming majority of 50/5 customers have Signature Home (which includes it in the bundle) and the Ultimate tier has a very low buy rate at its usual $99 price. "More promotional activity" was forthcoming to try and drive that take rate higher, which is why you now see some promos offering this for $79 a month for a year as part of a bundled service package.

For DOCSIS 3, the 30/5Mbps Extreme tier is the obvious sweet spot - priced $10 higher than Turbo. A lot of D3 customers signed up not for the downstream speed, but for the enhanced 5Mbps upstream.

In 2013, there will be more aggressive pricing promotions for broadband, mostly targeting D3. As Standard speeds hit 15/1, there will probably be a some Turbo customers downgrading, unless the upstream speed gets a boost.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Dampier

Wishful thinking I am afraid. When you see this much activity and they are opening all sorts of pedestals, it is probably a service-related problem like hunting for a bad cable or ingress point for interference.

I've seen this sort of work twice. In both cases they were replacing all of the gear. The first time it was to upgrade to two-way service, the second, to upgrade to 1ghz capable equipment.

The latter is interesting because it was around 4 years ago, but as far as I know they are still not using the capacity they added! If dcn66100 did live in an area where he was spectrum-limited, it would make sense for them do this upgrade, so they can offer more HD channels and bonded DOCSIS streams.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Hawaii will NOT be participating in this upgrade until AT LEAST END OF FIRST QUARTER NEXT YEAR. That is if Oceanic is allowed by corporate to make the decision.

CEO should not open his mouth if he doesn't have his facts straight. Oceanic does not have enough available bandwidth to do it by the end of this year. Of course, corporate could FORCE the upgrade via the RDC, located since January 2005 at Orange RR, like they did when Oceanic refused to upgrade to 5/1 in January 2005 like the rest of the franchises did. Oceanic claimed they weren't ready then either and stated that corporate could not force them to do it until they were ready which they estimated to be by end of July 2005.

Corporate responded to that defiance by ripping the RDC away from Oceanic at Mililani, Oahu and putting it at Orange RR and instructed Orange to forcibly push the upgrade which Oceanic had said they would block but with no RDC at Oceanic anymore....well the upgrade was pushed end of January 2005 and Oceanic's network ground to a complete halt about two weeks later. For 4.5 days no one in the state (including businesses) had RR connection. It was a terrible mess from then on until end of July.

I wonder if corporate will force Oceanic to upgrade us before the end of this year like the CEO's announcement stated. If so, I wonder what havoc this may wreck on the Hawaii RR network.

first off TWC has upgraded the network since 2005! DOCSIS 3.0 supports faster speeds and does channel bonding so it won't be caos like you said. Secondly where did you get your info on it won't be done until first quarter?

I believe Oceanic TWC is doing some major upgrades as we speak as they have announced channels moving from QAM 122.x to 134.x statewide and from ??? to 135.x for military bases. well that I knew Oceanic TWC was 750MHz except for the 3 areas that had a 550MHz lineup until 2007-2008 time frame. So I am guessing TWC is finishing up a 750MHz to 860MHz/1GHz rebuilt on the islands.

jojoyohan

join:2007-02-19
united state
reply to Dampier

said by Dampier:

As Standard speeds hit 15/1, there will probably be a some Turbo customers downgrading, unless the upstream speed gets a boost.

I attempted to downgrade but was offered $5 off for 6 months which I agreed to take. Turbo is now a real runt of a deal unless you really need that extra upstream bandwidth.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

" attempted to downgrade but was offered $5 off for 6 months which I agreed to take. Turbo is now a real runt of a deal unless you really need that extra upstream bandwidth."

Which is exactly what most of the posters here appear to want.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Konaguy
Live From Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Premium
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI
reply to Dampier

Norman Santos, Oceanic Time Warner Cable's V.P of Network Operations, told me the standard tier speed upgrade won't happen in Hawaii until the end of the first quarter of 2013. They have to reallocate additional analog bandwidth to make this happen.

Most, if not all, the island's cable systems have been upgraded to 750Mhz.

Oceanic did an across the board speed upgrade about a year and half ago. They raised the Standard tier from 5Mbps to 10Mbps and the Turbo tier from 8Mbps to 15Mbps. That upgrade didn't go so well. I ended up dropping back to the standard tier for a few months until they resolved all the network issues.

I'm afraid we'll have a repeat of this fiasco and the one in 2005, if TWC forces Oceanic to roll out this speed upgrade before they're ready.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by Konaguy:

Norman Santos, Oceanic Time Warner Cable's V.P of Network Operations, told me the standard tier speed upgrade won't happen in Hawaii until the end of the first quarter of 2013. They have to reallocate additional analog bandwidth to make this happen.

Most, if not all, the island's cable systems have been upgraded to 750Mhz.

Oceanic did an across the board speed upgrade about a year and half ago. They raised the Standard tier from 5Mbps to 10Mbps and the Turbo tier from 8Mbps to 15Mbps. That upgrade didn't go so well. I ended up dropping back to the standard tier for a few months until they resolved all the network issues.

I'm afraid we'll have a repeat of this fiasco and the one in 2005, if TWC forces Oceanic to roll out this speed upgrade before they're ready.

I think TWC has been doing an upgrade if they are moving these to 134.x and 135.x for QAM listings:

On Maui, on or about 12/18/12, Akaku: Access will move from Ch. 52 to Ch. 55 on the analog and digital lineup. UH Maui College/MCTV which is currently available to customers in both analog and digital format as part of our Basic Service tier will be made available in a digital format only on Ch. 354. This channel will remain in the Basic and/or Standard Service tier, as it will continue to be available in a digital format that can be viewed using digital cable equipment, such as a digital cable set-top box or a CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Product (UDCP). This channel will continue to be viewable on digital TVs and other devices that include a QAM tuner on QAM Ch. 27.54.

Statewide, on or about 12/19/12, the following channels will have new QAM channel numbers: CSPAN Ch. 134.3, CSPAN2 Ch. 134.8, KKEA Ch. 134.11, Antenna TV Ch. 134.13, and Olelo: FOCUS Ch. 134.49. These changes apply to digital TVs without a digital set-top box. Please refer to your TV manual to auto-tune your digital TV channels. Exact channel numbers may vary.

For Oahu military bases on or about 12/19/12, channel 53 BET will be viewable only with a digital set-top box. BET no longer will be viewable on analog TVs, VCRs, DVD recorders or similar devices plugged directly into your cable line. This will not affect TVs you currently have connected to a digital set-top box. Note: BET is on digital channel 908 or 598. Also during this time, the following channels will have new QAM channel numbers: Command Channel (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force) Ch. 135.4, Education Channel/CNN (Air Force) Ch. 135.5, MWR4/Flight Info (Army Navy, Air Force) Ch. 135.7. Please refer to your TV manual to auto-tune your digital TV channels. These QAM channel changes apply to digital TVs without a digital set-top box. Exact channel numbers may vary.

to have channels on 134.x (855MHz) your system has to be either 860MHz or 1GHz and I believe TWC has probably been doing upgrades if they are moving channels that high because you can't get away with having digital channels past 123 (789MHz) on a 750MHz due to roll off issues in the amplifier cascades not to mention the equipment can't handle it.

I know that: Lahaina/Molokai/Lanai was a 550MHz system that was upgraded in the second half of the 2000-2009 decade to at least 860MHz because that gear was cheap enough and the only gear made at the time besides 1GHz gear. I remember when they had a pretty small digital lineup on that system.

The upgrades that you were told about are 8 channel bonding which I believe that Oceanic has already reclaimed four more slots for and not to mention if they fixing to go all the way to 860MHz that would mean they could start bonding on december 19th if they wanted to if that is when they are firing up QAM modulators for frequencies above 122 (783MHz).

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to motorola870

I never said Oceanic stopped upgrading the network in 2005. Read my post more carefully and you will note that I was comparing a FORCED upgrade to 15/1 for standard to the FORCED upgrade of 3/384 to 5/384 that occurred in Jan 2005.

My source is very high up in Oceanic management. He has said more bandwidth is needed and it will take that long to free it up from analog tv side.
--

excelx

join:2004-07-06
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Dampier

I own a motorola sb6141, unplugged modem plugged it back in and i just received the 15/1 speed =]
I live in Los Angeles, just to let you guys know... bye =]

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
reply to Dampier

I had a friend test their cable connection last night for me. He got his 15/1 speed without him having to do anything. He's certainly happy about that!

pizz
bye bye twc. hello Comcast.
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

as i said in a previous post. I wonder if they're gonna do anything about the 50/5 tier. For the price other mso's have much higher speeds. Who know's anymore. But i'm glad all that 15/1 speeds to came to areas! enjoy the new speed!
--
It's ok to say, 'I don't know'. It's even better when someone takes the time to explain what you, 'don't know'.

thorin

join:2007-11-08
Liberty, MO

1 edit

I don't know about the other divisions but i bet more changes will be coming in the near future.

bitemeboy

join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY
reply to Dampier

Yes, my 10/1 skyrocketed to a, many times tested, of 20/1.

Of course, none of these 1 minute tests have anything to do with the real world.

I really don't know why this subject is a constant concern.

It's not like you have an exclusive, dedicated, single, physical wire from your modem to each and every other modem on the planet.

You must learn to share with the other billions.

TWC makes this as painless as humanly possible for all it's customers.

Don't you think!
--
"But the world is full of annoyances; if we killed all of our annoyances, there would be nobody left" - John McAfee

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to excelx

said by excelx:

I own a motorola sb6141, unplugged modem plugged it back in and i just received the 15/1 speed =]
I live in Los Angeles, just to let you guys know... bye =]

Hmm, I should do the same to see if I get the upgrade too. :P

rr user

@rr.com
reply to Dampier

15/1 in Columbus, OH. And it's a real 15 if you have a D3 modem (otherwise speeds dip from the burst 30 down to ~6).