All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint to DocDrew

to DocDrew

Re: Bad Gateway

It was responding before Sandy, did they do the change?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by bluepoint:

It was responding before Sandy, did they do the change?

Apparently they did. Although I've seen the same behavior if something on the home network is blocking RFC 1918 (private) addressed packets from crossing the WAN port and/or some VPN setups.

What exactly do you see wrong besides a single hop not responding to ICMP packets?

bluepoint

1 edit

bluepoint

My son is complaining of slow gaming on his ps3 and without knowing the gateways performance I cannot figure out the problem. Is there any reason you guys choose to do this?
Oh BTW, you said apparently, meaning you're not sure?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

I didn't choose to do anything, I'm not involved. Local TWC CMTS Engineers may have done it.

Figure the gateways performance is equal to the hop right after it, since all the traffic hitting the next hop has to go through the gateway. If the gateway hop was really causing a problem, you'd see it reflected in all of the hops after it.

I said "apparently" because I only have what you've posted to judge the issue on. It may be a couple of other reasons as I listed though.

bluepoint

bluepoint

Okay, so seems you're not sure if it was done. I asked because two days ago I've seen it answer with 2000+ ms, an indication of a busy gateway.
Sometimes you can gauge the gateway's performance through the next hop to it, however, it's not always true. I've seen a very long response from the gateway but very short response from the next hop after it.

If they do so, how are they going to diagnose those routers? There is really no advantage for TWC to have those gateways not respond to ICMP packets.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by bluepoint:

Okay, so seems you're not sure if it was done. I asked because two days ago I've seen it answer with 2000+ ms, an indication of a busy gateway.
Sometimes you can gauge the gateway's performance through the next hop to it, however, it's not always true. I've seen a very long response from the gateway but very short response from the next hop after it.

That doesn't mean the gateway is busy. It means the card management processor may be configured to put ICMP on a lower priority or the card manager is busy, but that frequently doesn't affect the packet passthrough on the gateway to another router.

Also, 2000+ms response time could be from your own network slowing down pings to the hops after it.

Again, though it could be private addresses are blocked at the WAN port of your home router causing the no response.

Lots of possibilities.... especially after a wide spread power outage.

bluepoint

bluepoint

said by DocDrew:

That doesn't mean the gateway is busy. It means the card management processor may be configured to put ICMP on a lower priority or the card manager is busy, but that frequently doesn't affect the packet passthrough on the gateway to another router.

So, it's busy tending to other higher priority requests. Before Sandy, the gateway answers within 30 ms anytime of day. How can you explain that?

Again, though it could be private addresses are blocked at the WAN port of your home router.

Like what I've said, the gateway has been responding everytime before the storm and as far as my network, the gateway is always seen as a public ip(68.xx.xx.xx).

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

So before Sandy it was 30ms, now it's not responding? In between there was a large power outage. Patterns of usage have changed and software may have automatically been updated once the power came up.

During large power outages, IPs maybe shuffled and reassigned.

There are far too many things that can change to rely on a single posted trace route to really troubleshoot. All we're doing right now is guessing.

bluepoint

2 edits

bluepoint

Ip's being reshuffled didn't happen at least here. We lost power for 3.5 days and I was surprise when the power came back the DHCP server gave me the same IP. It's like winning the lottery.

All you're saying are guesses, I want a factual answer and I posted to get an answer and not to argue. I want to know why the gateway used to ping 30ms and now answering @2000ms or not at all.