how-to block ads

Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

root

join:2002-12-11
reply to brianjmc1971

Re: Hurricane damage to office, need static IP

To answer question 2 and 3...

You can switch from Resi to business and get static IP however it is not instant. Best bet on a timeline is to give a call to commercial sales and see what they can do for you. Perhaps if you mention you'e already live for resi service they can help you out faster than if you were a new install.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
Did the samething sorta with my exchange server in CT. I was thinking to move my "server" - (it's actually Virtual - Hyper-V so it's easy to just copy it to a USB HDD and go) but ended up just doing a MX backup service since ours is only shorterm.

For you, i'd try bringing the modem and Cisco routers they give yout o your house and see if they can connect. If so then it's easy to connect your Exchange to it as your IP follows the modem's MAC.

If that doesn't work you can do what has already been mentioned which is placing OOLs SMTP servers in Exchange as a SmartHost (Send Connector) in ESM. From then on mail will come to your server directly as long as you have port 25 unblocked (Boost+ and Up) and sending mail will use OOLs SMTP sever.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
said by SHoTTa35 :

If so then it's easy to connect your Exchange to it as your IP follows the modem's MAC.

That will work if the modem is connected to the same headend.

If not, he will receive an IP address from the dynamic pool of the headend where the modem polls for a lease, which sounds to me like what's happening.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
said by Network Guy:

If not, he will receive an IP address from the dynamic pool of the headend where the modem polls for a lease, which sounds to me like what's happening.

It sounds to me like he hasn't even tried it yet. He's saying his normal OOL service at home is pulling the dynamic address, not his BOOL modem/router.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!