share rss forum feed

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:38

Problem Rooting Galaxy S3 With Root Debug FS

Click for full size
Click for full size
I'm working off of this guide to root a Galaxy S3 (I535VRLHE, with the goal of installing CM10) and unfortunately hitting a wall very early on. I'm using Root Debug FS to try and root, but I'm getting the error:

"adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

After that it informs me that "UID and GID should both be 0" Are They? Y/N.

Saying Yes or no here does nothing but insist that my phone is successfully rooted (it isn't). Screenshots below.

I've searched numerous forum posts at XDA and elsewhere but don't see any solutions. Drivers were all installed correctly. USB cable is OEM. Phone is set to USB debug mode, and unknown sources are allowed. Root Debug FS is being run as administrator. Root Debug FS files were all unzipped into the same directory (the most common cause of this error I've seen) and adb.exe is sitting in the directory.

Any ideas what I'm missing?

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

1 edit

nevermind wrong phone!
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

LinkTech
Former Linksys Tech
VIP
join:2002-07-02
Mission Viejo, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Karl Bode

What about adding the path to your system variables so it understands adb.exe

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1
reply to Karl Bode

Get the files from here
»droidmodderx.com/galaxys3/?page_id=159

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpuiKIl7···ure=plcp

Also....

Q: I’m getting an error like “adb is not recognized as an internal or external command”, or “cannot start ‘su’: No such file or directory”. What do I do?
A: Don’t run the tool straight from your compression program. Make sure to extract all the files somewhere first.

mromero
Premium
The O.C.

once rooted youll need this tool
»play.google.com/store/apps/detai···sb2NrIl0.

mromero
Premium
The O.C.

hmmm just read your post again, looks like you did unzip the files to the desktop and did not run them from the zip.

strange im guessing since you are on I535VRLHE that has something to do with it. I do know of 1 other root method but it needs a huge file and a different program let me see if I can dig it up.

mromero
Premium
The O.C.

Other method is called root66

»www.verizonsgs3.us/how-to-root-u···root_66/

root66 image that youll need (working link)
»goo.im/devs/invisiblek/i535/stoc···ot66.tar

mromero
Premium
The O.C.

better instructions on root66 here
»droidmodderx.com/galaxys3/?page_id=6

Karl Bode
News Guy
reply to mromero

Interesting info on root66...thanks!

I should note that I've gotten the same problem with these files on TWO machines running Windows 7, so I think it's something unique to the phone, or the settings in the phone.

smunro622
Premium
join:2006-02-15
Madison Heights, MI
reply to Karl Bode

i have a verizon S3 and followed the instruction here without any issues. I used Odin to get started. I am running AOKP on it and love it..

Karl Bode
News Guy

Odin effectively does the same thing as RootDebug FS? Unlocks bootloader then roots the device?

Karl Bode
News Guy

This is very annoying. Have now tried this on two PCs and a laptop and get the same error.

Karl Bode
News Guy

Ok, putting this here for the search engines and others.

Finally got RootdebugFS to work by:

Leaving the phone unplugged.

NOT running the program as administrator

Then plugging in the phone when it says it's looking for the device.

Retired
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth

So are you all set now, Karl ?

Hopefully everything worked out.

I didn't have any issues when rooting my GS3.
--
I work hard. I play hard. I stay hard.

Karl Bode
News Guy

1 recommendation

Yes, thanks. Have CM10 running on there and am just tinkering with Nova launcher and Titanium backup. All great!

Such a stupid problem, simply resolved by ignoring instructions and not running the file as administrator.

GadgetsRme
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO
reply to Karl Bode

Here is another resource you can look at to see what others are experiencing and doing with their S3's.
»www.s3forums.com/
--
Gadgets

mromero
Premium
The O.C.
reply to Retired

you don't have an issue because AT&T did not lock the bootloader.

However Verizon did.

mromero
Premium
The O.C.

1 edit
reply to Karl Bode

no EZ Unlock which uses Adam Outler's (android dev) Casual VZ GS3 Bootloader hack unlocks the bootloader.

Odin will let you revert to stock ICS touchwiz on the GS3 by flashing the original firmware.

Retired
Premium
Earth
reply to mromero

Oh, okay then. Thanks, Mike.....i didn't know that.
--

Retired
Premium
Earth
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Karl Bode

Good deal. That Titanium Backup is really good stuff.....especially after browsing though this info below.

»www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how···e-guide/

Someone else here was nice enough to post it for me, so i had to save it in my favs..:+)
--

maddog3877

join:2013-02-02
reply to Karl Bode

I am having the same problems that you had. Will you send me the exact steps that you used. Please help.

maddog3877

join:2013-02-02
reply to Karl Bode

I am having the same problems that you had. Can you please give me step by step instructions on how to resolve? PLEASE HELP.

join:2013-01-22
USA
reply to Karl Bode

"adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

This is an error where Windows is trying to run the adb.exe command to use the Android Device Bridge program to so something to the device. In many cases, this is simply a path problem. Part of installing the Android Device Bridge is making sure you add that working directory to your windows path statement.

You should be able to run the ADB command from any command prompt from any directory. Check to see if this works by using the "adb devices" command at a command prompt. If ADB can see your phone, it will report back with a code indicating the device.

pcdebb
RIP dadkins
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Karl Bode

I used the following link to root my S3 on AT&T without issue.

»forums.androidcentral.com/t-gala···ums.html
--
| map your city |