All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
vientito1
join:2009-01-09

vientito1

teksavvy no cable modem rental service?

there's never any rental service month by month for cable modem?

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108

Premium Member

nope. Thats why tek can offer lower rates.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

+1
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to vientito1

to vientito1
The thing is with RENTALs, you could have it paid 20X over... It's cheaper in the end for you to buy a modem. You quickly see it when you add up the rental charge over the coarse of a year.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to vientito1

Premium Member

to vientito1
There are for sure benefits for the customer and the provider to offer rentals and just as many negatives to do so.

We have chosen to no longer offer them because, honestly, its a pain for tracking, but also that it allows us to keep our pricing and packages low and Great!

Cheers,

Andre
vientito1
join:2009-01-09

vientito1

I can think of one positive for having rental at least from POV of the subscriber. Say, client's modem is refused to be provisioned by cable company. As transition period, a rental service will at least provide a lifeline for the enduser.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned)

said by vientito1:

I can think of one positive for having rental at least from POV of the subscriber. Say, client's modem is refused to be provisioned by cable company. As transition period, a rental service will at least provide a lifeline for the enduser.

You can get the modem from the ISP anyway.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to vientito1

to vientito1
If your not technically savy then most people will buy from the ISP directly. They always would work. The only beef I have is TSI selling D2 modems for speeds faster than 10mb. I have had a few people I refereed to TSI who got the D2 modem and are very upset due to the slow downs during peak with them. I recommended they by the D3, but to a non-tech guy, CHEAPER may be better, not understanding the issues or differences. It took me an hour explaining it to these people, and they both said they wished TSI would have explained this when they ordered, or not made these modems available on the speed levels they do.

Technically it will work yes, but in interest of keeping customers happy, it may be best if TSI STOP SELLING D2 modems for anything over the LITE tiers.
ichitaka5
join:2011-09-12
Mississauga, ON

ichitaka5 to vientito1

to vientito1
Renting is good for three things:

1) Lower up-front costs
2) Contineous hardware repair/replacement warranty
3) Upgrade to the newer version of Model when available

Some people just like having piece of mind with these things. Not sure how often cable modems break, but I do rent my PVR with Rogers... I've replaced it 3-4 times over the past 5 years. Sometimes due to malfunction, other times because a newer one came out with better features/higher HDD capacity.

For the upgrades... imagine Rogers retired D2 connectivity and blocked D2 modems, a large number of people would have to purchase D3 modems. I can totally see this happening as technology evolve and costs of maintaining both D2 and D3 escalates.
Expand your moderator at work