spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TexasRebel

join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

Why can't HNG4 reach the same speeds as Exede12?

Is it because of substandard customer hardware or is HN's network just really that bad??

They directed me over to Tier4 support and that didn't do any good. They can't provide me with an answer either why the PowerMax plan never seems to reach the 15Mbps advertised speed on HN's speed test.

It sure would be satisfactory to actually see a consistent 15Mbps or greater down and 2+ Mbps up. It would make me feel that I'm actually getting what I'm paying for.

Exede12 actually exceeds their `up to' speed by actually blasting right past it at 18-20Mbps down and 4.5Mbps up.

At least so far HNG4 has been more stable than Exede12. I haven't had to power cycle the modem anywhere near as much as I did when I had Exede12. But the power cycling of Exede's modem started happening after they started enforcing their DAP. That and the combination with DAPPED users like me and their LNFZ not working.

I had to manually renew WAN DHCP on my router twice a day when LNFZ started and ended when I was DAPPED.

Oh well at least HNG4 is not costing me $150 a month like Exede12 was. Hopefully HNG4 won't enforce their DAP for a year or more...

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

My perspective is that Hughes is living up to their consistent "up to" policy by imposing speed caps appropriate to the rate plan right from the start. ViaSat on the other hand, is relying on sensationalism to pull in as many early 2 year commitments as possible. When the Exede servers start to fill up, every one of those folks who are oooo-ing and aaaaa-ing right now, will be over on the other forum bitching about "what happened to my speed?"

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28

said by grohgreg:

My perspective is that Hughes is living up to their consistent "up to" policy...When the Exede servers start to fill up...forum bitching about "what happened to my speed?"

In early days, Exede 5-on my beam-was full speed ahead...about a month later, they capped it at 5 mbps...I made notice of this on that other forum in a post, and shortly there after, it was uncapped again.

That said, during prime-time(s), their Cisco traffic management equipment is active.

Hence, YMMV, depending upon traffic and beam assignment; and anyone paying attention will know about Cisco's traffic cop. Here it is around 6:30 PM CST, and my download speed is about one meg faster than my plan. I think its better for ISPs to ramp up speeds, so the quicker a consumer does their business, the quicker they get off internet highway.

Heh213

join:2012-06-16
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to TexasRebel

said by TexasRebel:

Oh well at least HNG4 is not costing me $150 a month like Exede12 was. Hopefully HNG4 won't enforce their DAP for a year or more...

I wouldn't count on it, exede still seems like the better option for me if I finally decide to ditch my HN9000 that's been behaving poorly as of recent.

$150/month is because of overages yeah? I can wait (for the free period) to do about anything until night and it wouldn't be much different than now, just less hitting F5 when things don't work.

My grandma has Exede 12, works pretty lovely (for now anyways).

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX

no $150 was the $129.95 plus the $10 lease plus the taxes. Right at $150 it was costing me.

HNG4 for the PowerMax with 20GB/20GB is costing me $117 including taxes.

Heh213

join:2012-06-16
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

said by TexasRebel:

no $150 was the $129.95 plus the $10 lease plus the taxes. Right at $150 it was costing me.

HNG4 for the PowerMax with 20GB/20GB is costing me $117 including taxes.

Ah, gotcha.

I still don't think I could survive without an unlimited zone, was on Exede for 2 nights and pulled nearly 40GB, though of course I put some effort into it

hughesnet123

join:2012-11-08
reply to TexasRebel

I have reached above 15MB. I have reached 20MB in the morning hours. During the day I don't always hit 15 but I'm at atleast 11. And to honestly be able to tell a difference in 11 and 15 you have to be looking at a speed test. You aren't going to really notice a difference in download speeds or web page's loading.

So far I've had no issues out of them. It's been a miracle out here in the middle of nowhere to have this service. I would have done anything just to have a 3mb DSL connection! But that isn't even here. So I'm not complaining if it drops down to 11MB during the day.

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX

what beam are you on? and what speedtest are you using? HN's speedtest or a 3rd party speedtest site?

hughesnet123

I use both hughesnet speed test and speedtest.net I'm familiar enough with satellite internet to know how to get a pretty close reading on speedtest.net generally. But you got to really watch the meter because it comes in burst.

I got no idea what beam. Where do I find this information?

PCsongBird

join:2006-12-07
Hawthorne, FL

hughesnet123, open up your system control center »192.168.0.1, then click the system info tab on the top, then look near the bottom.. a box labeled "Satellite" for the beam ID. There is some other useful stuff in there too.
--
HN9000-Elite-Spaceway3 + HT1000-PowerMax-EchoStar17/Dual 3.2G P4 Rackmount Pro Tools Computer/HP Pavilion dv7 i7/Toshiba Satellite 5105/Linksys E3000/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 64bit/Chrome

hughesnet123

reply to TexasRebel

Beam 39