spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

a_gunslinger4

join:2007-02-26
45255-3220

Which modem is better here - or no functional difference?

I currently have a Motorola SB6120 Surfboard and thninkgs work pretty well as far as I can tell using Time Warne rRoad Runner Turbo plan. But someone just gave me newer one the Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007IM···_s00_i00).

Any reason to change them out - is it that different from modem to modem? Yes, I could just try it but last time I made such a change things got squirrley for whatever reason and now wondering if I should just leave well enough alone. Several gaming kids and me in the house and if all running ok dont want to mess with it. But if the newer modems performance is know to better, I might try it.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
Google is your friend, I searched for Motorola SB6120 sb6141 comparison. I'm sure there are more but this was a pretty slide deck.

»www.slideshare.net/pippasymthe/m···le-modem

Both modem do DOCSIS 3 which allow the cableco to bond multiple channels. Other then that the only difference is the newer moto unit has a higher theoretical speed. So it all depends on the what speed Internet access you are paying for from your ISP.

/tom

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
reply to a_gunslinger4
The SB6120 is capable of bonding 4 downstream & 4 upstream channels; whereas the SB6141 is capable of bonding 8 downstream & 4 upstream channels. If your area supports 8 downstream channel bonding, you will see more consistent speeds & less congestion.

a_gunslinger4

45255-3220
Thanks gentlemen! Im runnig TWC Road Runner Turbo. I bet I have trouble getting a straight answer from them regarding they can handle 8 downstream channel bonding. But Im going to try. Many thanks!

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to a_gunslinger4
The turbo plan is only 20mbps download so it probably won't make any difference swapping it out.

Just because the 6141 is capable of bonding 8 downstream channels, chances are it wouldn't be necessary with that plan's limited speed.

If it ain't broke.....
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

a_gunslinger4

45255-3220
>>If it ain't broke.....

Truer words were never spoken I suspect. But the technophile/gamer in me is urging me forward ... what if, what if ....

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 recommendation

reply to a_gunslinger4
6141 is a great modem, been using it for several months. I do not think the 6120 is even on the "supported" list for TW either.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
reply to jack b
Bonding 8 downstream channels has little to do with any limitations in speed. It's about "consistency" & less congestion.

a_gunslinger4

45255-3220
reply to swintec
>>>I do not think the 6120 is even on the "supported" list for TW either.

Thats a huge point overall. Im going to have no choice but to try it. Wish me luck - Im going in! If somethign goes awry and my kids kill me because we lose speed I may not be able to report back ;^)

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to swintec
said by swintec:

6141 is a great modem, been using it for several months. I do not think the 6120 is even on the "supported" list for TW either.

That is correct. There are only TWO DOCSIS 3 modems on the currently approved list and the 6120 is NOT one of them. The 6141 is and it is the current modem being given out by Oceanic TWC here in Hawaii.

I have grandfathered Turbo at 15/1 and have been told to ditch my current Surfboard (5100) and buy the 6141 even though grandfathered Turbo is not DOCSIS 3. I am told that I will have better speed and connection when using a DOCSIS 3 modem on DOCSIS 2 because the network itself is DOCSIS 3.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson