spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Satch

join:2009-11-25

How To Reformat Your Navigator DVR-(WILL ERASE ALL SHOWS!)

THIS OPTION IS FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY, SUCH AS PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD NON-STOP ISSUES WITH THEIR DVR'S NOT RESOLVABLE THROUGH BOX SWAPS, LINE REPLACEMENTS OR SIGNAL CHECKS.

A TWC Customer at AVS talked to a really good tech and he showed him how to get to the reformat menu on the DVR. This is like the third instance that I have heard where it has HELPED people with Navigator Problems. The steps below will erase all shows and as I understand, will set all box settings to the default positions. However, one customer had an issue with the DVR space not calculating properly. Another customer had pixiation problems and related things that SEEMED to go away after the drive reformat. For advanced users with TWC Navigator. It is possible that some fragments of ODN 5.1 could have gotten stuck in the system. This reformat is supposed to flush out everything. This is the list on how to do a DVR Drive Reformat with TWC Navigator. It should only be used as a last resort type of situation:

The Posters' Comments and Steps For a TWC Navigator DVR Reformat.

I have Time Warner and a Cisco 8742HDC that was having the same issue many here have been talking about--filling up without actually recording many programs. Mine was 76% full after less than 18 hours of HD stuff and less than 13 hours of SD stuff.

It wasn't just an issue of reporting--it was about that full before I tried to tape a five-hour HD program on Sunday and that was enough to cause some things on my list to get deleted.

I managed to speak to someone in the tech support program at Time Warner who told me that it sounded like the problem had something to do with how it was partitioned. He told me it might have something to do with this "whole-home DVR" concept--the 8742 was intended to be used for that program and that might be why it got partitioned or something. I didn't really understand exactly what he was saying but hopefully I've said enough about it so that some of you will know what the guy was saying.

Anyway, he told me I could probably fix the problem by reformatting the hard drive. It'll delete all my shows, but it will unpartition my hard drive and I'll get full access to it and it will presumably stop my problem.

He said all the boxes work the same way too, so you can do this for your 8640 or any other one, I'm guessing.

Use your remote control and:
1. Power off (don't unplug, just push the power button so that it's off)
2. Push A
3. Push B
4. Push C
5. Push SETTINGS
6. Push POWER
That turns it on again. Then
7. Push SETTINGS
8. Navigate to the left once by pushing the left button once (it's the button to the left of the SELECT button)
You should see FIELD TOOLS now.

Select FIELD TOOLS and you'll get a menu that allows you to:
1. Reset NV RAM
2. Reformat Hard Drive
3. Display Diagnostics
4. Reload Catalogs
5. Clear NV RAM
6. Save Settings
7. Restore Settings

I want to watch a couple things first before everything gets deleted, but once I try it, I'll try to remember to come back here and say what happened.

Satch

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
Its basically a factory reset, doing this will erase current shows and delete all your series. It is a PITA...

It will speed up the guide for the DVR boxes, but it only lasts so long until it slows down again.

Elyria

join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH
reply to Satch
Those are the same steps used when you replace/upgrade the internal hard drive [to a larger one]