share rss forum feed

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

Bluray writer problem?

Click for full size

Bought a re-writer yesterday ,connected and Windows loaded the driver fine ,it's recognized properly and reads and burns DVDS great.

But software and media players won't read or even recognize it when a Bluray disc is inserted.

Tried the Cyberlink software PowerDvd and it looks like it's loading the BR ,then it just freezes and crashes my computer.

It shows as working properly in the device manager but under my computer shows as a cd rom!
AnyDvd or VLC............don't recognize it as a BR either.............any ideas?
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE

Click for full size
Some extra info.

totamak
And they call me nuts?

join:2000-10-24
Los Angeles, CA

You should install the latest official drivers for the motherboard. It sounds like a bug is screwing up recognition of the Blu-Ray drive. If that part is resolved, the rest is easy. Also see if the PowerDVD software itself has a patch for the version you're running, you may have a buggy build. I'm certain it's a motherboard driver issue, something too incompatible or out of date. The player program is probably reacting to it and crashing.

Now about the hardware you have. To be blunt, it looks insufficient for the task of tackling Blu-Ray video content. The listed GPU according to Nvidia's web site lacks support for "PureVideo HD", which means the CPU cannot offload some of the VC-1, H.264, and HD resolution MPEG-2 decoding to it. This forces the CPU to do it all and the CPU you have is simply not powerful enough. It can probably handle BD's using MPEG-2 (not many), but I doubt it can handle VC-1 encoded BD's while having to deal with all of the AACS/BD+ decryption crap as well, and H.264 is simply not doable even if AACS/BD+ isn't in the way. Remember it also has to handle audio and all of the BD video disc overhead.

One fix here, assuming you can get the software to behave and the discs to play, is to install a proper video card. Just about everything supports VC-1/MPEG-2/H.264 decoding for the last several generations across the whole lineup. That should be enough to do it.

Now for the fun part. HDCP or High Definition Content Protection is a copy protection scheme using to encrypt video carried over digital video connections. It works on DVI, HDMI, and added to DisplayPort. If a PC monitor is attached and it uses a digital connection, for BD movies to play at all, the whole chain must be HDCP compliant: the software, the GPU driver, the GPU hardware itself, the OS, and the monitor. If any part is NOT compliant, it all breaks down, though it does this by showing a black or blue screen where a movie should be showing up. The GPU listed is HDCP compliant. Windows XP SP3 is supposedly HDCP compliant (though it may require installing the latest version of WMP compatible with XP SP3 to install the needed software component). That leaves the monitor.

Going the analog route won't get you out of the HDCP issue. Instead they have "ICT" or Image Constraint Token. It's an evil idea to force an all digital setup where analog worked perfectly well. By gentleman's agreement, ICT was only supposed to be used with Blu-Ray releases coming out in 2011 and onward. ICT works by down-rezzing 1080p content down to 540p, then scaling to whatever the display resolution is. It will look better than DVD, but just barely.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE

Had a feeling it was a hardware problem............thanks for the info.

I'll see if it's worth the effort .
--

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

You could try Arcsoft for Blu-ray/HD-DVD(yes it's still supported!)/DVD playback if Cyberlink is too demanding. I personally use both and Arcsoft is definitely lighter and more forgiving when it comes to CPU / GPU requirements.
Your above specs should be sufficient for full 1080p playback. »www.arcsoft.com/en-us/bd_assistant.asp
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE

Arcsoft didn't help,thx anyway.

But the blasted Cyberlink software has been causing me some headaches,what a bloated pig.

Couldn't even uninstall it ,had to do an image restore............never again will I install that crap.
--

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

Yikes!
Sorry to hear that.