downloadStatus_ARRIS.txt 1,323 bytes
ARRIS status
downloadevent log_ARRIS.txt 4,345 bytes
ARRIS event logs
downloadHW_FW_ARRIS.txt 528 bytes
ARRIS hardware/firmware
downloadshaper probe···tput.txt 495 bytes
shaper probe output

Switched from a brutally reliable 6M DSL line and I may switch back.
What is happening: completely inconsistent performance. The service was installed the 30th so we're talking less than a week. It has all the feel of over-provisioning. Why do I say that? Because shortly after noon local time, and ALL weekend the network was mostly unusable. Early morning it seems to rip. For very brief, and unpredictable times during the balance of the day, it rips. But with three people using it (by virtue of a Juniper firewall) during any of these time periods it is uselessly slow.

As a data point, we ran on a simple 6Mb DSL line for 7 years and never, ever experienced irregular speeds like this - and the Firewall, etc is all the same gear. It is not the firewall, or we would have changed it previously.

I appreciate someone with some experience giving me some advice on how to proceed. Previous posts seem to indicate I need to provide the following data....(status, event log hw version and shaper probe output) . Anything else? Pointers? I am barely able to get this ASCII text message uploaded.

I am at a loss. Yes, I have reset the modem, multiple times. It changes nothing. Yes, this behavior happens if directly connected to the ARRIS.

At wit's end....

- see all attached.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

You're on a low end speed package. If you've got several people using that connection isn't going to be slow. Your signal levels aren't terrible so it's not a service problem. You may want to simply move up a speed tier.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

deepwoods

join:2011-07-07
Berkeley, CA

You're joking, right?

it's a 20 (burst) and regular 15Mb/sec connection. I was on a 6Mb/sec connection and it was fine. This is not.

Your response confuses me. If anything, it should be 2x what I was using.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to deepwoods

Have you checked your Juniper firewall QoS settings?

After I migrated to Comcast from dual 3 mbps DSL circuits going through a Cisco dual WAN router, I also initially saw really crappy performance.

I checked and double checked my router/firewall settings, and everything looked as is should. I had previously setup QoS to optimize my slower DSL connections for VoiP, and after I changed the WAN settings from dual WAN PPPoE to a single WAN with DMZ for the new Comcast connection, those old QoS settings had seemingly been deleted. However, even though I could no longer see those old QoS config settings, they were still being used by the router. It took a factory default reset of the router, and manual reentry of all of my firewall rules to get proper performance with the new Comcast connection.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

deepwoods

Berkeley, CA

Thanks - that's a reasonable reply.

Problem is, the bad performance is clearly associated with time of day. At times it runs at wire speed (20 down and 10 or so up). But "waking hours" and ALL weekend it is essentially unusable. And, that's with one person OR three people. None is doing anything but page loads.

Were there an issue with QOS (which I do not set) it would be constant.

This is up the pipe, and either a misconfiguration or - as i suspect - over provisioned. I am happy to retract the latter when it gets resolved.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to deepwoods

post in comcast direct: »Comcast Direct

It's been many many years sine the answer was "oversubscribed"
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to deepwoods

Your shaperprobe results are not showing a 15meg connection.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

deepwoods

Berkeley, CA
reply to JohnInSJ

Yeah...but until COMCAST replies to me it is all I can speculate. This IS Santa Cruz, and the local Comcast is infamous, which you may not know.

deepwoods

Berkeley, CA
reply to ExoticFish

Thank you. What DOES it show? It's a new tool to my eyes.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to deepwoods

An overcrowded node (and here I am using the network engineer's generic definition of node, not Comcast's limited and redefined definition for a fiber-coax media converter), can happen with any shared network. An extremely overcrowded access concentrator was one of the reasons I dropped AT&T DSL.

What you are seeing used to be quite common on Comcast. But for the most part it has been fixed by their DOCSIS 3 upgrades (which is not to say that some areas might not still have that problem). You might try to get Comcast to re-provision your account and make sure that you have the proper config file pushed to your modem to see if that helps.

On thing you might try is to clone the MAC address of one of your PCs into the WAN interface of your Juniper firewall (and then reboot both the modem and the firewall). That might get you a new DHCP assigned address in a different IP address block than you currently have; and that might mean different routing and better performance. I have seen that improve things on Comcast connections (but it is a long shot).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to deepwoods

It shows 7down 1.5 up sustained. You're getting 18ish with PowerBoost.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

said by ExoticFish:

It shows 7down 1.5 up sustained. You're getting 18ish with PowerBoost.

Ah good catch. He's also got 6 down channels and 3 up, so it's HIGHLY unlikely that this is a node congestion issue. Plenty of errors in the logs too. Smells like something not great with the coax. Was this a self install?
--

deepwoods

Berkeley, CA

No, it was a Comcast install.The log errors seems to indicate connectivity. But the connectivity it seems to reflect "T3 timeout". That seems like upstream to me.

The thing is, this connectivity would be a constant, would it not? Like I said in the post, early AM and the connection flies. Then it slowly starts to augur in. That, in my humble view, is misconfig or congestion,

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

said by deepwoods:

No, it was a Comcast install.The log errors seems to indicate connectivity. But the connectivity it seems to reflect "T3 timeout". That seems like upstream to me.

The thing is, this connectivity would be a constant, would it not? Like I said in the post, early AM and the connection flies. Then it slowly starts to augur in. That, in my humble view, is misconfig or congestion,

There is almost 0 chance it's congestion with you having 6 downstream bonded channels and 3 upstream bonded channels.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to deepwoods

T3 timeouts happen when the modem loses sync.

Your timeouts happened around or after noon, when you report speed issues.

That, and your totally misconfigured speed, indicate something is way off in your install. In other words, it's local to your install. Call them up or post in comcast direct and have them back out.

Oh, and verify you're provisioned right, your speed isn't right.
--

deepwoods

Berkeley, CA
reply to pflog

Thanks. That is really good to know.

I have the installer's phone number and I'l be calling him tomorrow AM to come back and sort this out.

deepwoods

Berkeley, CA
reply to JohnInSJ

Great feedback. I appreciate the confirmation. I will plagiarize the combined knowledge from this forum and speak with them first thing.

There are too many people using this for it to be as bad as it is for me. It MUST be a configuration issue, or multiple of same.

deepwoods

Berkeley, CA

I have a truck scheduled to roll today between 2 and 4 PT.

The more I have investigated this (local users, neighbors, the COMCAST forum), the more likely it may be a result of an oversubscribed gateway.

I realize for most of the country that is a thing of the past - not here. And even with multiple bonded channels - if the gateway is under water the number of channels only makes it worse.

This is the same local COMCAST who charge the same for 12 HD channels on cable as they charge in Berkeley for 50+ HD channels. In other words, this is not a high end head end, and I have a very bad sense about the outcome.

I will happily post the opposite if they manage to make it work.

deepwoods

Berkeley, CA

UPDATE: waiting for the COMCAST truck...

Like clockwork, shortly after noon PT, my link started cratering. It was behaving close to expected rates all morning, like normal.

Number of bonded channels be damned, this is congestion.

As of now, 1:10 PM, for example, I time out attempting to use the XFINITY speed test. I time out attempting to use speedtest.net. I am able to reach speakeasy's test, and manage a 0.69Mbps download and then IT times out trying to load the upload test.

The timing of the truck visit could not be better. I'm anticipating "you need to use our rental modem" and "let's reset the modem", ad nauseum.

Yes, I am getting cynical.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 recommendation

I don't think congestion would start around this time. It would also tend to slowly build up, not be an immediate degradation of speeds.

Obviously something is occurring around that time each day, but it could just be someone who works the night shift waking up, turning on their old TV that has a noise/ingress issue or something that's hosing things.
--

deepwoods

Berkeley, CA

It does build gradually. It starts and slowly goes down. It is slower in stages after 10 or 11 and it is hitting the peak now.

IT IS CONGESTION.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by deepwoods:

It does build gradually. It starts and slowly goes down. It is slower in stages after 10 or 11 and it is hitting the peak now.

IT IS CONGESTION.

It could be, but I doubt it. Guess you'll find out once the tech gets there. At least they'll be there during the slow periods.
--

deepwoods

Berkeley, CA

Agree. it'll get fixed, or it won't. I'll let you know.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by deepwoods:

Agree. it'll get fixed, or it won't. I'll let you know.

Good luck! Hope they identify it at least and fix it if possible for you today
--

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to deepwoods

Congestion would start late afternoon not early afternoon. congestion is not a problem on comcasts network.

deepwoods

Berkeley, CA

1 edit

You're wrong. You are applying what is true in many places, to ALL places - and this is a fallacy.

UPDATE: COMCAST dispatched a tech to an address in Berkeley, which is roughly 75 miles North of me. My link is so augured in I am barely able to post this. My NEW appointment is tomorrow at noon Pacific Time.

I was also advised, even though this install is a week old, it may be a billable call since it is customer owned gear.

This is fabulous service.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..

I had a customer seeing the same thing a few weeks ago. They had an aerial drop (I replaced), all the coax was fairly new and they were losing signal from about 3pm to 7pm therefore the connection was dropping off, boxes were pixelating and such... The sun was heating up the splitter on the side of the house and causing the issue... Bad splitters and coax are hard to diagnose but are usually the cause of your type of issue.
--

deepwoods

Berkeley, CA

Thanks bobjohnson.

If COMCAST can actually show up at my residence, I'll share this with the tech.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..

said by deepwoods:

Thanks bobjohnson.

If COMCAST can actually show up at my residence, I'll share this with the tech.

It always helps when they show up BTW my case was an exception to the norm but sounds very similar. I would like to know the result of your service call as this could be very helpful to similar issues posted around the forum. Thanks and good luck.
--

deepwoods

Berkeley, CA

I'll post the outcome bobjohnson.

There is something very odd about this. I worked in International networking for 35 years, and have very good instincts about net issues. I also understand all seven OSI layers like the back of my hand, so my "smoke detection" filters are acute.

This is stinky, and I wish to understand the root cause.