·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15

Re: Windows 8 anti virus Norton 2013 or something else?

Heuristics I have set to "Aggressive" and Sonar is "Aggressive" with auto removal at "High Certainty" only. These are a couple of my personal settings, and just like Symantec says you have to be careful with what you alter as it may start flagging and removing many programs. Some of these programs and files that you've always used in the past that are safe, but not safe in Symantec's eyes. So be careful.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Hmm. I guess they don't call aggressive for nothing. That seems like a bit munch since I have other users on this machine as well. Looks like I will have to keep it off in my case or experiment. Stupid question. If it deletes things say a nasty in general. I see no quarantine place or a option to restore possible false post file/files?

**EDIT**

Found quarantine under Advanced.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
You should see "Quarantine" above... it's in the "Advanced Tab" of the GUI. Or just right click your NIS sys tray icon and choose "Recent History". After it loads change the drop down option to "Quarantine".
EDIT: Good. I see you found it.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Click for full size
Toolbar Disabled
Thanks Dustyn for continuing to help me and answer my questions. Really appreciate it. I don't know if the toolbar is of any help or does anything. But, mine is disabled and says its not compatible with Firefox 16.0.2 Personally I am not a fan of them. But, don't know if I am missing part of the protection? Also. Silent Mode. Is that for gaming or something? I do play games online and wondering if that is what its mainly for.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

2 recommendations

Mele20 to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Heuristics I have set to "Aggressive" and Sonar is "Aggressive" with auto removal at "High Certainty" only. These are a couple of my personal settings, and just like Symantec says you have to be careful with what you alter as it may start flagging and removing many programs. Some of these programs and files that you've always used in the past that are safe, but not safe in Symantec's eyes. So be careful.

I would NEVER allow an AV to remove any files without my express permission on each file. I also would never allow an AV to move any files to Quarantine without first getting my express permission on EACH file. The setting should be BLOCK ACCESS not "move to quarantine" or "delete" until the user is asked about what to do about ANY file an AV finds "suspect".

As for Norton, I was affected by crappy Norton recently and I don't use Norton! I wondered why there was significant delay on releasing the latest SeaMonkey patch but the same patch had already been released for Fx. The SeaMonkey developer responsible for release of SM updates, both on the website, and to internal updater, told me that the update had to be delayed for almost a week because Norton was flagging SeaMonkey CRITICAL files as viruses. An update through internal updater would result in automatic deletion of these critical SM files for anyone using Norton 2013 and completely cripple SM.

Symantec finally fixed the problem and as soon as they did then SeaMonkey latest version was released to internal updater. SM latest version was released earlier on the website because if you did a manual update you would see Norton going nuts and you could deal with it then and avoid Norton deleting critical SM files. But internal updater does it all in the background so you wouldn't know that Norton was deleting files and when SM started up again it would be crippled or maybe not even start up after the update was applied by internal updater.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
Click for full size
Toolbar Disabled: Features Enabled!
Silent Mode is for gamming and full screen applications like DVDs and Blu-rays. You might notice the NIS sys tray icon change to an altered state just after coming out of a full screen application before changing back to the familiar state.

You may have to run Live Update! quite a few times and reboot if it asks you to. You have to keep re-running Live Update and rebooting until there are no more updates that require a reboot. After doing all that you should be set... and you should also have full NIS Toolbar compatibility with the latest Firefox. I enable the toolbar features while hiding and disabling the toolbar altogether in IE9.
Dustyn

Dustyn to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20 :
I would NEVER allow an AV to remove any files without my express permission on each file. I also would never allow an AV to move any files to Quarantine without first getting my express permission on EACH file. The setting should be BLOCK ACCESS not "move to quarantine" or "delete" until the user is asked about what to do about ANY file an AV finds "suspect".
I understand Mele20 See Profile, however I'm not endorsing or recommending those settings I've chosen. They are just what I have chosen for my own personal use. They are highly dangerous and should be used with extreme caution.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Ran live update again and was prompted for a reboot. After that the toolbar was enabled and works. I totally hate though. Its an eye sore. Do you have to have this toolbar enabled for the other extension works which is the Norton Vulnerability Protection?

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

Well, I don't use Firefox myself... however, as you can see through my screen shot it works perfectly in IE9 with the toolbar disabled, and all other Norton related features enabled. Give it a try and see if you can enable everything but the toolbar in Firefox.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Okay I disabled the toolbar and the norton vulnerability protection is still enabled. That's a good sign. I had not seen or used a toolbar in so long it made me sick! Haha!

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn

Premium Member

Awesome!

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

You know one thing I like about with the toolbar is safe website ratings. Any way to use that with out having the toolbar enabled?

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn

Premium Member

said by KoRnGtL15:

You know one thing I like about with the toolbar is safe website ratings. Any way to use that with out having the toolbar enabled?

I believe you figured this out. For others, same way... just disable the toolbar but enable the other Norton plugins.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Click for full size
I needed to be a little more clear about the trick I used. I really like the Norton Safe Web from with in the toolbar. I left the toolbar enabled but. I disabled the actual search bar. Since I use the google bar with in firefox. Which btw. Still gives me norton safe search results. And I disabled identity safe with in norton since I am not using it. So, instead of it looking like a nasty and ugly useless toolbar. I just see a few icons as seen in the picture.