orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

orion940

Premium Member

Wood Floors

2 years ago, I had wood flooring put down on the up-most floor of the house. It never looked *right*, but there was nothing to complain about. Two years later, I'm experiencing warping over 80% of the floor, spanning three rooms. In one case the warp was 0.25"+ high.

I was told by the installer that the only thing that will cause that is excess moisture and there is nothing they (the installer and the wood floor maker) can do. I told them I was going to sue and get the media involved. Then the installer offered to have an independent wood expert look at the floor. So that's in two weeks.

Any one experience issues with wood floors? I don't see where I have any moisture issues, no leakage etc anywhere.

O.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

Any non-chain lumber / hardware stores nearby? Long term employees in the appropriate departments can be a font of useful info.

sirchief
Premium Member
join:2001-12-14
Cromwell, CT

sirchief to orion940

Premium Member

to orion940
It almost sounds like they put the floor in too tight, meaning they didn't leave room for expansion where the floor meets the wall. I believe a 1/4" or so is the space needed for expansion.

Just a thought. Good luck!

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to orion940

Premium Member

to orion940
Did you keep the wood in the house for few months before having it installed? If not, it's very possible that it was very dry in the box and absorbed humidity in the house. It doesn't take a leak, just more humid air... Also there are different qualities of wood, if it's not properly dried prior to manufacturing it *will* warp. How do you think they make floors for under $1/sqft retail?