spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wwwkp84

join:2012-11-05

[Extreme Plus] Weird Problem with my Internet

The issue: I've been experiencing wacky latency internally to the router. If I ping from my PC which is connected via ethernet, I will get 1ms ping, which is proper. After several days, this will spike to insane levels and Internet will get choppy.

What I've Done: I've called Rogers 5 times. The first time, I was told to swap my modem (SMC3DGN) and ended up getting the Cisco model. That didn't work. I called them 3 more times and finally came to the conclusion that there was a signal boost issue. This was fixed. Problem still happens. Was told to get another modem. I am back to the SMC3DGN.

This has been happening since mid August. When I reboot the router, it's good again for a few days to a week, and then just goes wack again.

I have more than 10 devices that connect to the router/modem with a combination of wireless and ethernet. This has been pretty much the same before mid-August. My brother did come back from school which added about 3 devices (7 before Mid-August).

Any suggestions? Ideas?

wwwkp84

join:2012-11-05
Anyone ever see problems like this?

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to wwwkp84
Sounds like it could be something just overwhelming the modem over time. Plenty of things could be behind that, but my first guess would be a lot of open connections (like a poorly configured torrent client).

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to wwwkp84
Are you using the wireless gateway functionality of the modems or are you in bridged mode with your own router?