how-to block ads

Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

hagbard72

join:2000-10-02
Kingsville
reply to hagbard72

Re: Does Cogeco block mac addresses?

Nevertheless looked into it, reset my modem from their end now everything works.

hm

@videotron.ca

So you hitting the reset pin does nothing, yet them doing a remote modem reset does?

What does a remote modem reset do different than the reset pin? Or was there more that was done?

nevertheless
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-08
St Catharines, ON
kudos:4

said by hm :

What does a remote modem reset do different than the reset pin? Or was there more that was done?

I didn't see any issues with the modem or devices behind it, but I deleted the entry for the Linksys device in the CMTS anyway. I did not reset the modem.

Seeing as the MAC address of the Linksys device has decremented by one (from blah:2c to blah:2b) since then, and it's working just fine as 2b, I would suspect that the Linksys device and the CMTS was not allowing the 2c device to talk. Our CMTSes are configured to only allow devices that have had a DHCP Discover come through or it. (Our static product is somewhat different, for those wondering).

The 2c device did not make a DHCP transaction on Nov 5th or Nov 6th.

In short, I think the problem was self-caused by either a firmware upgrade or changing the MAC address without issuing a new DHCP Discover (release/renew).
--
Some people think I'm an idiot. I disagree, but idiocy is subjective--so they may well be right. With this in mind, take everything I post with a grain of salt, eh?

hm

@videotron.ca

I see. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

hagbard72

join:2000-10-02
Kingsville
reply to nevertheless

Not on my end. It disconnected my router spontaneously. Changing firmware only came at the end of the troubleshooting process. Did lots of release/renew long before this. I knew nothing was wrong with the router since I was still able to connect through the Trendnet to the modem without issue (ie: the WAN port was alive and well). I think you kickstarted it at your end.