how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

userofdsl

join:2000-07-31
Brighton, MA

[Voip.ms] voip.ms reliability

After taking into account all the information I have about various BYOD VoIP providers, voip.ms seems like a possibly reasonable choice for my residential phone service.

My biggest concern is that for years I have periodically read here about one or another of their servers being down.

How much of a problem has this been in, say, the past year?

When this happens, do incoming calls go to voicemail, or are they lost?

How long and how frequent have the outages been?

Why have they happened?

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

I've posted in the past that something very good about VoIP.MS is that they report such issues.

Register on the website, then log in. On the main page (after logged in) you will see Issue Tracker.

AFAIK you can register without having to put any money in.

userofdsl

Brighton, MA

I have an unfunded account. Thanks for mentioning Issue Tracker.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13

You're welcome.

Another good BYOD provider to consider is FlowRoute, though they don't have all the call routing options you would have with an Anveo, CallCentric, or Voip.MS.

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms
reply to userofdsl

The outages aren't frequent and don't last for long. If they know there is going to be a long outage, they take steps to temporarily move he service to another server.

Nothing is perfect, but VoIP.ms is very good especially considering the cost. And if you do have an issue, their support is responsive.

advocate99

join:2011-03-08
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to userofdsl

VOIP.ms has had very good reliability WITH CERTAIN servers.

For the last six months, losangeles has been useless to me and several other people that I know, but others say that it works just fine.

All in all, there's no reason why you shouldn't try VOIP.ms. However, if you have trouble on your nearest server, try another one before you write VOIP.ms off.

userofdsl

Brighton, MA
reply to userofdsl

If someone can tell me whether incoming calls go to voicemail or are lost when a server is not working properly, I would appreciate it.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12

Incoming calls do not go through when a PoP is not working properly, until you switch the PoP to another one.

userofdsl

Brighton, MA

said by Mango:

Incoming calls do not go through when a PoP is not working properly, until you switch the PoP to another one.

Too bad. To VM would be much better.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric

1 edit
reply to advocate99

said by advocate99:

VOIP.ms has had very good reliability WITH CERTAIN servers.

For the last six months, losangeles has been useless to me and several other people that I know, but others say that it works just fine.

I have been using the losangeles server for the past year and have had very little trouble. In fact, I tried switching to the Seattle server (I get better ping times) for a while, but I get too many outgoing calls not being completed with that one....

It seems (as always) YMMV.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to userofdsl

said by userofdsl:

said by Mango:

Too bad. To VM would be much better.

VM is entirely based on the server you're on. So if the server is down the call just doesn't connect at all. It's a problem inherent in Voip.ms' un-integrated servers design.

real_goose

join:2001-04-13
Apollo Beach, FL
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·localphone.com
reply to PX Eliezer7

Issue Tracker has been an issue to me. I think VOIP.MS needs to do a better job posting problems as soon as they are aware of the problem. I wonder if my perception is shared by others.

Each time I notice a problem, I check Issue Tracker first. Most issues do show up eventually on Issue Tracker, but my experience is that problems are posted only after the issue has been fixed or gone on for a long time. While the focus may be on fixing the problem, I suggest posting the issue as soon as possible will provide guidance and avoid fruitless user trouble shooting not to mention unnecessary tickets.

royrogers

join:2012-10-17
reply to userofdsl

How many hops are you guys getting when you tracert to your various voip.ms servers?

I'm only 10 hops away from Callcentric, all on Time Warner networks (I'm on Road Runner, and it would appear that Callcentric has some sort of connection with Time Warner, I'm sure among others).

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric

said by royrogers:

How many hops are you guys getting when you tracert to your various voip.ms servers?

I'm 15 hops from the voip.ms server that I use. I'm 20 hops from callcentric!

DoctorStinky

join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME
reply to decx

One of the features "In Development or Testing" is the consolidation of all voice mail to a single server. Unfortunately there's a lot of stuff "In Development or Testing" that has been there for a long time.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

said by DoctorStinky:

One of the features "In Development or Testing" is the consolidation of all voice mail to a single server. Unfortunately there's a lot of stuff "In Development or Testing" that has been there for a long time.

Yeah I saw that one too, but as you said, it's been there for ages now. Plus I'm not sure that even after it is implemented VM will be reacheable if the server the DID is on is down.

horelcool

join:2012-11-02
reply to userofdsl

hello frien,

yes,it is reliable and much cheaper than other services,I myself used VoIP.ms and their sometimes a bit problem occurs but not so much...as we can gave it zero...
as you put question call go to voice-mail it is impossible no never without server it cant be happens and either it cant be connects when server is down

and thank's PX Eliezer for providing such a great info..thanks a lot

horecool