RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice

Cell phone tower locations in Canada

Maybe this can help you decide which cell company to use in your area: »loxcel.com/celltower
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON
Sure is useless.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
How so, the data is there? Granted if they included coverage maps (just based on tower height and power alone) and allowed to filter sites by provider, both would certainly have improved the functionality.

Edit, just noticed they included antenna direction, out in the rural areas most towers are linked via Microwave, it would be nice if they showed path lines from tower to tower as well

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

You can filter by provider.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 edit
Click for full size
Opps
Thanks, I missed that function.

EDIT - seems that not all the data is plotted correctly either (img).

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:22
reply to RobThompson
There was a site at one point that also showed the direction the antennas were facing. Not sure what it was though

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
said by HiVolt:

There was a site at one point that also showed the direction the antennas were facing. Not sure what it was though

That site does. It's the "Azimuth".
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by DKS:

said by HiVolt:

That site does. It's the "Azimuth".

Ah. THe other site remember had a visual reference on the map location.

joeblow3

London, ON
reply to Thane_Bitter
Sorry I was there and it showed nothing. It does now though

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to joeblow3
said by joeblow3:

Sure is useless.

I'm thinking the same.

Is there a trick to show anything? I'm seeing a map of Canada. Clicked on stuff, no show.

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
Where it says 'All Sites' you can pick various cell providers. You can zoom in or out or travel to your province.

I live in Mtl and have a cottage a bit up north. So, for me, it shows that I would be better off with Bell, or, with some provider that uses the Bell towers, as a cell phone supplier.
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Weird, doesn't work on my system. Tried Chrome and Internet Explorer.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
reply to RobThompson
nice, now i understand why coverage is so bad on the way to the cottage and just north of Lake Scugog

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
reply to urbanriot
Click for full size
On FireFox

joeblow3

London, ON
reply to urbanriot
Doesn't show anything on my desktop with chrome but show fine on my android tablet with chrome. But works ok on desktop with IE 9.0

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to RobThompson
said by RobThompson:

Maybe this can help you decide which cell company to use in your area: »loxcel.com/celltower

Coverage Mapper is better.

»www.coveragemapper.com/

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by Gone:

said by RobThompson:

Coverage Mapper is better.

»www.coveragemapper.com/

Now THAT'S a useless map. Very little outside urban areas and only an Android app.
--

another

@videotron.ca
reply to RobThompson
said by RobThompson:

Your map has more detail (type) then what I was using, »www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/canc ··· tes.html

said by urbanriot:

Weird, doesn't work on my system. Tried Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Wouldn't load for me either on FF, had to switch to IE to even have the page load. Must be the plugins I use.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

Now THAT'S a useless map. Very little outside urban areas and only an Android app.

Its usefulness to you is of little relevance to me. I'd like to see you do better.

For what it's worth to everyone else, it's a very useful map for plotting Wind Mobile coverage, as they are known to have live coverage well outside of their actual advertised coverage zone.

I await your complaining about the lack of Wind/LTE/everything in Owen Sound.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
said by Gone:

said by DKS:

Its usefulness to you is of little relevance to me. I'd like to see you do better.

You posted it in reference to more than just DKS as an example of a better map but to dismiss even one users opinion as of "little relevance" is petulant to say the least.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by peterboro:

You posted it in reference to more than just DKS as an example of a better map but to dismiss even one users opinion as of "little relevance" is petulant to say the least.

It's DKS. The same guy who complained that LTE was completely useless for everyone because he had incorrect information regarding its deployment and the amount of people it covered. When it comes to stuff like this, I wouldn't have expected a response any different from him and which is why I replied in kind.

You should check out Coverage Mapper yourself, there's plenty of data for Peterborough despite not being part of the Great Black Hole that is the GTA. Like I said though, it's best for Wind.

Also, despite how much information loxcel still has, it's still missing a lot of data. There are no Rogers LTE sites, no 2600MHz cell sites which will soon be used by LTE phones, etc. It's not bad, but it is by no means complete.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to RobThompson
wow. I did not know Wind coverage is as good as Rogers/Bell in Toronto. The actual map from the two link mentioned shows Wind is better in Toronto compared to any other.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by loosedobbs:

wow. I did not know Wind coverage is as good as Rogers/Bell in Toronto. The actual map from the two link mentioned shows Wind is better in Toronto compared to any other.

Wind still has issues in Toronto... I know of several people with Wind phones (various phone brands) and they mostly complain about dropped calls when driving. I guess their equipment doesnt handle tower hand-offs as well, or maybe its the distance between the towers, etc...
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by HiVolt:

Wind still has issues in Toronto... I know of several people with Wind phones (various phone brands) and they mostly complain about dropped calls when driving. I guess their equipment doesnt handle tower hand-offs as well, or maybe its the distance between the towers, etc...

Tower spacing isn't going to be an issue anywhere in the 416 when out in the open when driving. If calls drop it's most likely capacity related (e.g. too many people on the towers) and/or their towers aren't tuned to handle handoffs very well.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Gone:

Tower spacing isn't going to be an issue anywhere in the 416 when out in the open when driving. If calls drop it's most likely capacity related (e.g. too many people on the towers) and/or their towers aren't tuned to handle handoffs very well.

I also notice strange high pitched squeals at times when I am talking to someone on Wind while they're driving... The other person doesnt hear them. Things that I've never heard talking to people on other carriers, including Public Mobile.
--

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
said by HiVolt:

I also notice strange high pitched squeals at times when I am talking to someone on Wind while they're driving... The other person doesnt hear them.

I saw that happen in a movie I was watching the other night. It usually means that the party you are speaking to is dead and is trying to communicate from The Great Beyond!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
LOL Wolfie

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by DKS:

No need to. The Loxcel map the OP posted is far better.

I await your complaining about the lack of Wind/LTE/everything in Owen Sound.

You took the words out of my mouth. Neither Wind not LTE are available up here. And, of course, no iPhone app. Just Andriod crap.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by peterboro:

It's DKS. The same guy who complained that LTE was completely useless for everyone because he had incorrect information regarding its deployment and the amount of people it covered.

LTE is useless to me and all of rural Ontario. It is not deployed outside of urban centers. Typical of the telcos.

When it comes to stuff like this, I wouldn't have expected a response any different from him and which is why I replied in kind.

It is a useless map. Nothing more to say. Hard to read and deeply incomplete.

Also, despite how much information loxcel still has, it's still missing a lot of data. There are no Rogers LTE sites, no 2600MHz cell sites which will soon be used by LTE phones, etc. It's not bad, but it is by no means complete.

Loxcel draws their information from the Industry Canada tranche and is up to date as of October 4. If it is not available, apparently, it isn't there.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

said by HiVolt:

I also notice strange high pitched squeals at times when I am talking to someone on Wind while they're driving... The other person doesnt hear them.

I saw that happen in a movie I was watching the other night. It usually means that the party you are speaking to is dead and is trying to communicate from The Great Beyond!

Or it is a zombie phone...
--