how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

marhil0

join:2008-10-21
Exton, PA

Digital adapters charge / renewal

I have 3 digital adapters that are currently free. Verizon now wants to charge my $5.99 per adapter if I renew my contract which is expiring. Plus my double package will increase from
$114.99 to $139.99 a month. So if I keep everything the same as I already have my monthly bill will go up $43 a month. I got the digital adapters when the analog to digital
conversion took place several years ago and VZ was giving them out for free. Now after not paying for them for 4 yrs. Verizon wants to charge me $17.97 a month for them. Does anybody know if they still grandfather the free digital adapters ? I think a $43 a month increase is crazy especially when I'm gaining absolutely nothing. Oh wait I forgot I am getting something extra, a one minute delay when I try to change a channel on my DVR box.

RadioBob

join:2008-03-31
Severna Park, MD

My understanding when we got the adapters was they would be free as long as we maintained our account at the same location. In the early days they showed up as a charge once or twice and I called in and they removed the charge.

Stankyest

@verizon.net

Agreed... I have a free adapter, renewed several months ago, and am not being charged. I'd question it, if I were you.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
reply to marhil0

When I renewed online, the estimated price included the adapters, but when I actually got the bill it was free (as they had been for years).

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to marhil0

Hardware cost for my digital adapter went up to $5.99, but so did the bill credit. Effectively $0 for the free adapter.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
reply to marhil0

When you go to the page to signup you should get a pop up to do an online chat about what you're doing. Have you chatted to ask the question about how adapters will be handled?

marhil0

Exton, PA

I did the online chat about a month ago and the rep said I would be charged for the adapters which is why I did not renew my contract at the time. Do you know if they are still
doing the loyal customer $15 a month discount that I currently get. I'm trying to keep my monthly cost close to what I already have.

Tarheel72

join:2005-12-18
Plano, TX
reply to marhil0

As others have posted the deal was the adaptors were/are free as long as you do not change adressess. If you move and keep service they will start charging for them. I don't know about others but in my case the three adaptors do show up when I do online activity and view my account but on my paper bill that I get each month they do not appear at all, and I have upped my contract two times at least since I got my three. This includes changing and bundling hardware.

You need to speak to someone that knows what they are doing. I bet the rep is just reading what it on the screen and doesn't realize the computer will make the adjustment when you are billed. Just my guess anyway.
--
Go Heels!

PJL

Long Beach, CA

said by Tarheel72:

As others have posted the deal was the adaptors were/are free as long as you do not change adressess. If you move and keep service they will start charging for them. I don't know about others but in my case the three adaptors do show up when I do online activity and view my account but on my paper bill that I get each month they do not appear at all, and I have upped my contract two times at least since I got my three. This includes changing and bundling hardware.

You need to speak to someone that knows what they are doing. I bet the rep is just reading what it on the screen and doesn't realize the computer will make the adjustment when you are billed. Just my guess anyway.

I agree. The online chat people are mostly clueless, but it's always worth a try. There are some other posts on this topic on a couple of forums that say that if you don't move, you will get it free for life, and when they renewed they still got the adapters for free.

marhil0

Exton, PA
reply to Tarheel72

said by Tarheel72:

Thanks. Do you know if they are still giving loyal customer discounts ? I have renewed before and was never charged for the digital adapters. Even without the adapter charges my current monthly would go up $25 a month. Think I will call VZ to renew and inquire about the adapters and see if I can get any other discounts. Might have to mention to them that I may switch to Comcast to get a better deal.

PJL

Long Beach, CA

said by marhil0 See ProfileThanks. Do you know if they are still giving loyal customer discounts ? I have renewed before and was never charged for the digital adapters. Even without the adapter charges my current monthly would go up $25 a month. Think I will call VZ to renew and inquire about the adapters and see if I can get any other discounts. Might have to mention to them that I may switch to Comcast to get a better deal.
[/BQUOTE :

It always helps to use the "c" word ("cancel"). I used it recently with both XM-Sirius and OnStar and got the rate I wanted. It also helps to remind them how long you've been a customer, and at the point they say they can't do anything more then ask to talk to someone who can -- like retention.
On my recent OnStar negotiation the agent emphatically stated that she could not give me the rate I wanted. When I asked to speak with a manager, the manager came online and immediately told me that she would give me the rate I requested. Be firm but polite -- sometimes it hard to be polite but it has worked for me, and I don't have a perfect track record with the polite thing (he says blushing with embarrassment).

ENFiOS

join:2007-11-09
MontCo PA
reply to marhil0

Copy of Letter - Found on this board.
They are absolutely free for life (same address). Keep going up the ladder until someone hears you. They started billing me when the rates went up. They coded the rate increase incorrectly and it did not skip the digital conversion freebies..

In my case they told me that the other discount I was getting prevented me from getting the free ones, but once they investigated, it was a documented exception.....they're FREE FOR LIFE.

marhil0

Exton, PA

Thank you. Just saved a screenshot of the letter to a jpg file. Will keep it in my Verizon file and use it if they try to charge me for the digital adapters. Now I have to try to get the loyal customer discount added to my account. Thanks again !

PJL

Long Beach, CA

said by marhil0:

... Now I have to try to get the loyal customer discount added to my account. Thanks again !

Let us know how the discount goes.

marhil0

Exton, PA
reply to marhil0

I had some success on my renewal. Was able to get the Ultimate TV and 50/25 Internet for $119.99 instead of $134.99. Also got 3 months free HBO. Still have my (3)
digital adapters for free. Had a do a 24 month agreement.

I called the the number below on my bill and went through
that department.

Bundle Today & Start Saving
Call 1-888-851-7527 or visit verizon.com/savenow and let us
review your account. We can help find the best bundle to meet your entertainment and communication needs. Thank you for being a valued Verizon customer.

Action Products and Promotions Monthly Charges
Existing Double Play: FiOS Internet up to 50/25, FiOS TV Ultimate HD, 2012-2 NATIONAL $119.99
FiOS TV Ultimate HD

FiOS Internet 50/25

$5 24-Month Contract Discount Included thru Nov 9, 2014

$5 24 Mo. Bundle Credit Included

Look for this on your bill. This was the dept. I called.

Bundle Today & Start Saving
Call 1-888-851-7527 or visit verizon.com/savenow and let us
review your account. We can help find the best bundle to meet your entertainment and communication needs. Thank you for being a valued Verizon customer.