spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OneWorld9

join:2010-12-09
East York, ON

Will I have a better experience with Start?

Hi Rocca et al,

I've been a TSI Rogers cable customer since Jan. 2011. My review of TSI outlines the issues I've had to deal with, and the current ongoing issue (intermittent, happened several times since the end of July) has not yet been resolved. My best guess is that Rogers is most likely doing maintenance in my area. However, all attempts to confirm / deny this with TSI, or to find out what exactly is happening and how soon it will be resolved, has gotten nowhere. My posting in their forum goes into all the finer details of the experience and various suggestions I've made to better address things... they keep saying things will get better, but there's no timeline for when or how.

Can you let me know if my experience with Start will be much better? In particular, I'm interested to know how the pitfalls experienced with TSI would be avoided - if you can address each and every point in my review, I'd appreciate it.

I do appreciate the current issue I'm experiencing is difficult to isolate, but I feel like I keep getting the run-around with TSI, and my patience with them doing the same troubleshooting over and over with no progress is about done. If Start can show me (and others) how they'd address these issues, I will seriously consider switching to you guys. Otherwise, I'll probably go back to Rogers. I'd love to support TPIA, but not at the expense of a stable Internet connection and subpar support.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

hi OneWorld:

I can't speak for Rocca, so i'll let him reply to you. Here are my comments after reading your review of Teksavvy:

In reply to point 1: i doubt Rogers would disconnect you just because you are a Teksavvy customer.

In reply to point 2: Rogers are indeed to blame for what resulted as "oversubscription" of services. Reasons for this as you know: Rogers was extremely slow to upgrade the capacity to the POI you are connected to. Also, Rogers did increase speeds by a significant amount a while back, and failed to warn Teksavvy about this (resulting in the "oversubscription" issue you're talking about). I doubt any independent ISP would have been able to cope better than Teksavvy did, given the circumstances.

In regards to the call wait times, and Teksavvy support personnel not calling you back when they said they would, that definately is an issue with Teksavvy's support system (and one they need to fix, if not fixed already).

One thing you have to understand, is that a lot of these issues with your cable connection are out of Teksavvy's control. What i mean by that, is that they do not have access to the troubleshooting tools that Rogers has -- so they can not "see" what is wrong. So i would assume they are at the mercy of Rogers dictating what kind of information to collect from a customer, and passing that on to Rogers technicians. I honestly can't see how they can improve that, and i don't see how any independent ISP can improve this while on the non-aggregated system.

Will problem resolution be quicker on the aggregated (Start) network ? Only Rocca would be able to give you the best possible answer.

You also have to keep in mind, and i'm sure you know this, that any node congestion that affects Rogers customers will affect Start customers.

OneWorld9

join:2010-12-09
East York, ON

said by silvercat:

In reply to point 1: i doubt Rogers would disconnect you just because you are a Teksavvy customer.

I don't mean to say they did it specifically because I was a TSI customer (although I'm not ruling that out). All I know is that I was disconnected, twice, with no explanation as to why. TSI suggested it may be because of Rogers' audits - they didn't / don't have a clear database of who is a TPIA customer, so since I wasn't with Rogers, I shouldn't be connected. Makes sense to me, but shouldn't have happened. I see (in recent posts) that this still happens with TPIA customers, unfortunately.

said by silvercat:

In reply to point 2: Rogers are indeed to blame for what resulted as "oversubscription" of services. Reasons for this as you know: Rogers was extremely slow to upgrade the capacity to the POI you are connected to. Also, Rogers did increase speeds by a significant amount a while back, and failed to warn Teksavvy about this (resulting in the "oversubscription" issue you're talking about). I doubt any independent ISP would have been able to cope better than Teksavvy did, given the circumstances.

From reading some of Rocca's replies to others, although I realise Rocca wasn't in TSI's position, my understanding is Start is growing more slowly and cautiously. I do / did hold TSI accountable, because they didn't plan far enough ahead - yes, Rogers did increase speeds and delayed upgrades. However, TSI continued to sell their services straight through until *after* people started complaining about slow speeds... and even then they didn't do a stop-sell until somewhere in the middle. So, whereas I do agree Rogers had a part in this problem, it is ultimately TSI's problem to deal with. As I mentioned in my other thread in the TSI forum, no business can blame their suppliers for not being able to supply their customers. It is not up to the customer to accept that a supplier isn't delivering services as promised - it's up to the business to make sure that things go smoothly. That seems to be the excuse TSI gives every time something goes wrong. Yet, they have no problem to keep on selling services which they know full well they should have stopped doing long before.

said by silvercat:

In regards to the call wait times, and Teksavvy support personnel not calling you back when they said they would, that definately is an issue with Teksavvy's support system (and one they need to fix, if not fixed already).

Definitely ongoing, as shown in many threads in their forum.

said by silvercat:

One thing you have to understand, is that a lot of these issues with your cable connection are out of Teksavvy's control. What i mean by that, is that they do not have access to the troubleshooting tools that Rogers has -- so they can not "see" what is wrong. So i would assume they are at the mercy of Rogers dictating what kind of information to collect from a customer, and passing that on to Rogers technicians. I honestly can't see how they can improve that, and i don't see how any independent ISP can improve this while on the non-aggregated system.

Will problem resolution be quicker on the aggregated (Start) network ? Only Rocca would be able to give you the best possible answer.

You also have to keep in mind, and i'm sure you know this, that any node congestion that affects Rogers customers will affect Start customers.

Yes, I fully understand the limited ability TSI (or any TPIA) has in dealing with an issue. I did offer some suggestions to improve that in my other thread. I'll wait to hear from Rocca whether he feels Start can do a better job or not.

I do understand as well that node congestion won't totally disappear ... however, what I can say (as I mentioned in my other thread as well) is that I was with Rogers for many years before switching to TSI. I can count on one hand the number of issues I had to deal with - a lot less than what I've experience with TSI, that's for sure. I realise this is a residential connection, and there's no guarantees. What I would like to know is what kind of assurance that the connection will not fall prone to mismanagement of the TPIA, lack of proper support (to the degree possible), and resolution of any issues that do come up within a reasonable time frame. You'd have to agree that months of an ongoing (intermittent) issue, with no explanation as to what's going on, etc. is a bit much. If that means I have to go back to Rogers to resolve this and get back to the level of service I came to expect when I was with them, that's what I'll do.