how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brendan1

join:2011-11-04

Beta Testers Wanted

Hi,

I'm in the proccess of creating a website for comparing internet speeds at hotels across the US and was wondering if some of you guys might be able to run a test on my website and compare the speed my website says you have to what speedtest.net is giving you? The website is on a VPS at Fiber Hub in Las Vegas and I’m trying to see how much distance effects download speed and how accurate my test are.

If anyone’s interest you I’ve set up 5 different test using slightly different methods.

These use PHP to measure how long it takes your browser to load a file:
»highspeedhotel.net/test1.php (256 KB)
»highspeedhotel.net/test2.php (512 KB)
»highspeedhotel.net/test3.php (1024 KB)
»highspeedhotel.net/test4.php (256 KB with a slightly different php script)

And this does the same thing in Javascript:
»highspeedhotel.net/test_confirm.···d=999993

Thanks in advanced!
Brendan

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
You're 4 links are all malformed.

After manually adjusting them, I get wildly different values. I consistently get around 21-22mbps with SpeedTest.net through various different servers in the area. T

est1.php gives me .75-1.8mbps.
Test2.php gives me 1.5-3.65.2mbps.
Test3.php gives me 2.6-5.2mbps.
Test4.php gives me 12.1-41mbps.

A speedtest of less than a megabyte isn't going to cut it. The tubes are just barely becoming primed before the test is over. And that explains the wildly range of results.

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
kudos:4
Reviews:
·ooma

1 recommendation

said by cdru:

A speedtest of less than a megabyte isn't going to cut it. The tubes are just barely becoming primed before the test is over. And that explains the wildly range of results.

That gives me the funniest mental picture of a pirate captain loading crew into a TCIP/IP packet while hoisting a sword and screaming, "PRIME THE TUBES, MEN!"
--
Blogsaus "Everyone bows to something. Everyone answers to someone. Wherever your treasure lies, there your heart will be also.

Who do you belong to? " - Andrew Schwab