spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ZyWall Owner
@bellsouth.net

ZyWall Owner

Anon

ZyWall 2WG vs Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH

Hi, I currently have a zywall 2wg. Ive had it for a few years now with no problems. I had a zyxel wap3205 to extend the range and it recently failed. I ordered a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH to replace the 3205. I was planing on leaving the Zywall in place and using the Buffalo as a AP, but a friend said that I should remove the Zywall and only use the Buffalo (It's Allegedly Faster). The Buffalo has not come in yet and now I'm not sure which way to go. Any suggestions?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by ZyWall Owner :

but a friend said that I should remove the Zywall and only use the Buffalo (It's Allegedly Faster). The Buffalo has not come in yet and now I'm not sure which way to go. Any suggestions?

Your Friend is correct. If your friend is your friend whats this Allegedly business?

If your wireless clients are CAPABLE then the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH will provide significant improvement in bandwidth and range. If your wireless clients are only compatible then your results will be mixed. There is a very big difference between capability and compatibility. Find out how capable your wireless clients are then match that to the WZR-HP-G300NH capabilities-- the closer the match the better will be the results.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to ZyWall Owner

Premium Member

to ZyWall Owner
There are many requirements at play here.
1. Wifi connectivity between clients and router or AP
2. WAN speed throughput of ISP and router
3. Router capabilities (fidelity and programming power).

Truth is most any modern wifi router used as a router or just the AP part of it will outpeform the dated and never stellar 2wg wifi performance. The router was more soho oriented not consumer.
The 2wg is also dated in that its throughput max on the wan side would fall short of many connections these days.

So definitely its time to replace your 2wg and Mozerd has much experience with many of the latest consumer wifi routers. If you need specific functionality it may be useful to consider a different wifi router that has that functionality or again split the uses, a router for routing and a wifi router-AP for the wifi.

Dont know much about the buffalo but many people ensure they can use third party firmwares with their purchase in case they want to add third party functionality.

ZyWall Owner
@bellsouth.net

ZyWall Owner

Anon

I don't have a specific functionality need that I know of. I have 3 desktops, a printer, a gigabit switch and a apple tv connected to the lan. I also have several wifi devices that are always connected. I originally purchased the 2WG because of the 3G back up and good hardware firewall. I stopped paying for the 3G card over a year ago. It worked great during storm outages (generator back-up) but now everyone has their own smart phones. My current speed is 12 Meg down. It looks like my trusty 2WG might need to be boxed up and stored for a rainy day. I hope I made a good call with the Buffalo. Anyone here have any experience with em or could recommend a solid wifi router/firewall. Thanks in advance.

Zywall Owner
@bellsouth.net

Zywall Owner to mozerd

Anon

to mozerd
Sorry I'm an old dog so the allegedly is me fighting the truth that my 2WG needs to be upgraded. The clients are capable so I'm going to go ahead and keep the Buffalo and move on. Mozerd: I didn't see your post before I replied with my list of machines attached to the zywall. I appreciate your confirmation and let my friend know that I was being a schmuck. Thanks again.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to ZyWall Owner

MVM

to ZyWall Owner
said by ZyWall Owner :

I hope I made a good call with the Buffalo. Anyone here have any experience with em or could recommend a solid wifi router/firewall.

You made a good call with the Buffalo. Now that you're asking I would have suggested the Netgear WNDR4500. I have very limited experience with the Buffalo and lots of experience with the Netgear WNDR4500 -- a solid performer. If money is not tight I would also strongly suggest the Netgear R6300 with the latest firmware -- a very remarkable wireless router.

Zyxel Owner
@bellsouth.net

Zyxel Owner

Anon

Netgear R6300 it is. Thank you very much!

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano

MVM

You would be much better off with a open-source firmware compatible router. The above mentioned Netgear WNDR4500 is on the list, the R6300 doesn't seem to be.

Check the lists here
DD-WRT »www.dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index ··· _Devices
OPEN-WRT »wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
Tomato »en.wikibooks.org/wiki/To ··· _Devices

The day will come when you'll get upset with stock firmware and would want to use the extra features available in 3rd party FW.

Zyxel Owner
@bellsouth.net

Zyxel Owner

Anon

I hope they add it to the list at some point. I ordered it last night and it shipped out today. Also the Buffalo just came in today. I'm going to either keep the buffalo and store it in the box or give it to my brother in law. I can't order another or my Wife will have my ###.